Geelong: why are they just not good enough?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I really don't know why you thought this.
And no, we aren't winning it.

We're a team made up of misfits. Bit like your mob but instead of gaining Mitchell, we get the best player in the game (at that time). Tuohy has also been pretty good since coming over from Carlton.
Most of the others are perennial finals flops.

Thought Henderson was extremely good last night

2020 closes the door on their era, thankfully this was the last time we see them play finals for a long time. The Cats are quite fraudulent, time for another team with a bit more oomph to make the top 4! Clearly the most mentally weak team of all time.

Yeah if there’s one thing I’d be thankful for, it’s not playing finals and entering the complete lottery that is a rebuild. Hopefully we can be thankful that we have a Carlton or Melbourne like rebuild and in 10 years we can still be posting in a ‘are geelong a basket case’ thread.

I’d be very thankful for that

Difference is in 2012 was that your CHB, CHF and no1 midfielder were still mid 20’s, so there was a quality spine to top up around to keep going.

Who is Geelongs current best player aged mid 20’s? Kolo? Jed Bews? Parfitt?

Honestly all the credit to Geelong if they continue to fight for top 4 during the mid 2020’s. I’d be very impressed.

Fantastic, I guess 11 top 4 finishes in 14 years was not quite enough to impress you yet. Have to push on to 2025 to impress Shaneprice97.

Because I have eyes and watch the game. The older players hardly move and are slow

Oh well if an older player is slow it must mean he doesn’t care.
That’s how the body works as far as my understanding goes.

It’s why Taylor and Henderson, two of our young guns, were among our best last night, why another up ajd comer in Tom Hawkins had 6 shots at goal, and why our brightest prospect Joel Selwood, was our leading possession getter in the first 3 quarters and debutante Patrick Dangerfield had more touches than anyone else

Because they don’t care

Danger is one of the best players I’ve ever seen.

It’s been underestimated what impact he’s had on Geelong. He’s kept them top 4 (with Hawkins) when really outside those two their list is probably 6-10 range and declining.

It’s been underestimated what impact he’s had on Geelong. He’s kept them top 4 (with Hawkins) when really outside those two their list is probably 6-10 range and declining.

I think what was disappointing last night is that although it was obvious that players like Parfitt - who I thought was really good - and Bews and even Henry (wasn't great but was absolutely throwing himself into the game), and Guthrie and Duncan got a fair bit of ball as well, it still looked like it would have to be Dangerfield or Hawkins that would carry us back into the game and actually have that impact.

Huh?
Port lost 3 games for the year.

Port had 6 outright home games compared to Geelong's 3. Port had 2 outright away games compared to Geelong's 5. You reverse that and Geelong (who finished with a bigger % than port) could have easily finished top instead of Port. Port may well have struggled to finish top 4 with a similar draw to Geelong.

Too many passengers last night for mine, no doubt they have some stars but after that it drops away quick.
I didnt even realise Myers was playing until late in the 4th.
Not much second effort from many either, had a crack and then just watched.
It was telling, fot 3qtrs and 5 minutes they were in the armwrestle, but when the tempo went up, they couldnt go with it, only Ports wastage and a couple of ticky touch decisions in that 10 minute period kept it close.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

it all works fine in the H&A

Sort of. They were 4 and 3 against the rest of the top 8 this year including a surprise victory against Port who were terrible that week.

Geelong are the most efficient side in the comp beating the bottom teams. That is great for making finals, but it does not count for shit when you get there.

Judd was good for the same thing at Carlton. Even Gold Coast were decent when Gaz was at his peak.

Danger in conjunction with Selwood and Hawkins has papered over the cracks at Geelong.

A coach who just doesn't get it when everyone else does.

What.
Get what.

What would you have done differently last night that would have changed the result. What is this magical coaching master stroke that he didn’t pull last night.

Do you think he told us to waste our opportunities?

‘Guys we have to make sure when we dominate that we don’t turn it into points.’

Coach just has no idea. Plays the wrong players and plays half the team out of postion. Certain players have appalling finals records so that's on them but the game plan doesn't work in finals which has been proven how many times now? But no better try it again.

Thought Geelong was the most vulnerable team in last year's top eight after losing Kelly, so it's a great effort to finish top four again. With another year on the clock, the loss of Kelly will be felt more keenly from here on.

Crouch will fit the Geelong mould of big-bodied mids, at the right age. But is it the right formula to win finals? Does Scott dare to change it up? And if so, is there enough prime talent on the market?

Anyway they've earned another chance next week, and who knows what will happen. Four clubs in 17 years have won the flag after losing a QF.

Port had 6 outright home games compared to Geelong's 3. Port had 2 outright away games compared to Geelong's 5. You reverse that and Geelong (who finished with a bigger % than port) could have easily finished top instead of Port. Port may well have struggled to finish top 4 with a similar draw to Geelong.

Ok, which home games would we have lost? Given that we managed to lose to st Kilda at home anyway...

Coach just has no idea. Plays the wrong players and plays half the team out of postion. Certain players have appalling finals records so that's on them but the game plan doesn't work in finals which has been proven how many times now? But no better try it again.

Lol. Who was out of position last night. Who were the superstars he left out

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back