Banter Geelong V Richmond - GO!

Banter threads are not to be taken too seriously. Have fun. Let others have fun.

Who are the GOATS?

• Selwood

Votes: 92 44.0%
  • Dusty

Votes: 122 58.4%
  • Hawkins

Votes: 74 35.4%
  • J. Riewoldt

Votes: 44 21.1%
  • C.Scott

Votes: 63 30.1%
  • Hardwick

Votes: 59 28.2%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

In the interests of keeping your back and forth shite fights out of match threads so normal people can talk.

Keep it clean and above the shorts
Off topic rubbish clogging up match threads will be moved here, knock yourselves out.

homero-pelea-simpsons.gif

Last edited:
Still trying to figure out how they've fleeced $60m from the state government to upgrade Alphabet stadium, but Hawthorn have needed to start a Go Fund Me to finish off their new training base, despite also asking for assistance from the same government.
So you want money from two state governments now. That's just greedy.

Since 2010:

“Geelong are too old and too slow, they cannot develop young talent, they can’t win when it matters, they have the worst midfield in the competition and are relying on aging stars. This is surely the year of their downfall.”

Geelong proceed to make the top 4 easily and play in another preliminary final.

“Ah, well. Nevertheless,”

It's not a conspiracy.. next you'll be telling me that politicians serving to protect the interests of big corporations first and foremost, is a conspiracy theory!

Political and corporate ranks are filled with Geelong supporters.. and it's in the government's best interests to protect the City of Geelong, so that Geelong doesn't end up like Detroit!
So how come we play our home games against you at your home stadium? How come we wont get a home prelim final this year? You only won the 2017 grand final because our home final against you was played at your home ground.

Geelong is not only the most disadvantaged team in the afl. Its the most disadvantaged team in world professional sport.

Geelong have a cultural advantage built on the back of their geographical location.

It's the only club with a small bubble country city with 99% Geelong supporters.

For as long as that's the case, they will never be down for long.
A cultural advantage? What does that even mean?

That it is. But so is every other stadium in the comp.
*Country

There'd be a very small list of privately built professional stadium/arena's in Aus.
Recreational fields are almost always council funded.

It has always been an odd whinge on this site.

*Country

There'd be a very small list of privately built professional stadium/arena's in Aus.
Recreational fields are almost always council funded.

It has always been an odd whinge on this site.

The Sharks own their ground I think in the NRL and I have a feeling that the Dolphins do too though they don’t play all their home games there

Best thing that can happen now for Geelong haters is for Hawkins to come back. Their structure was awful with him playing and not contributing and he dragged down Cameron. As soon as Hawkins got injured Geelongs revival started. But now he's back and ready to play will Chris Scott have the grapefruits to do whats best for the team and leave him out

Geelong are just a really well run team. There is no conspiracy or whatever crazy ideas.

You got to respect them for what they've done and they've made themselves a club people want to play for. I wish my club had their consistency.

This Richmond vs Geelong discourse I only ever see on bigfooty though. I don't know any Richmond supporter in real life that thinks about Geelong as much as half the Richmond supporters on this site do. It gives me second hand embarrassment.

That you have NFI how “easy” it is to sustain a successful period

Whatever it takes right?
Uh you think a posters knowledge is related to how their club is travelling?

Best thing that can happen now for Geelong haters is for Hawkins to come back. Their structure was awful with him playing and not contributing and he dragged down Cameron. As soon as Hawkins got injured Geelongs revival started. But now he's back and ready to play will Chris Scott have the grapefruits to do whats best for the team and leave him out
Hawkins isn't returning unless Neale or Cameron are injured. He's the 2024 version of 2011 Mooney.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This is Geelong's best ever era, and Chris Scott is a huge part of it. He coached Hinkley (a very savvy operator) off the park last night.

Helps put the stain of the Thompson years behind them.

Geelong have the most significant advantage in the the comp.

Get to play 7 or 8 games at their boutique ground against non-Vic and lower drawing local clubs. Get to play their 'bigger' home games at the MCG in front of large crowds - great training ground for finals.

They literally have the perfect mix. The kind of fixturing other clubs could only dream of.

Have been gifted money hand-over-fist, while community sports clubs struggle and die after begging for funding to improve infrastructure. I play at a club in a major regional town who still gave clubrooms with SHARED SHOWERS (which are falling apart and dangerous). Lovely getting nude with the opposition after a hard fought and tense clash.

No doubt Geelong have done plenty right, but they have been set up to a point where it is near impossible to fail.

You can thank Shaun Grigg for coming in and forcing Cats to adopt a similar game plan to Richmond.
McRae did the same thing with Pies.

Richmond took it from Bevo and the Dogs scrappy style that moved away from complete kick/mark conservative game plans to 1 on 1 contested scrap football that relied on high pressure and ground ball wins

Good coaches adapt to the new style of footy that changes the game and put their own tweaks on it
I can definitely see Richmond in the way we play these days.

People in other countries aren't going to follow the AFL.. when they know it's the GFL first and foremost.

NZ aren't interested.. China aren't interested, as we have seen with past attempts to tap into those markets. Good luck with attempting to grow a Geelong centric sport internationally.. that is all I can say.
You know why the China experiment failed? We didn't give them any Geelong - let that be a lesson learned. Geelong at 35% maximum power would dominate the Chinese market.

I think Geelong and Hawthorn have a mutual respect as well run clubs on and off the field.

Lots of clubs consider Geelong to be their rivals, but Geelong only think that about Hawthorn I reckon.

Glad we're unlikely to meet the Hawks this year :)
Mathematically Possible.

I think Scott recently and tactfully alluded to Hawkins not just coming straight into the team and it would probably be very unlikely.

I think the players in the team - including Neale - have now earned their spot and performed beautifully against a tough team in an hostile environment.

Geelong are just a really well run team. There is no conspiracy or whatever crazy ideas.

You got to respect them for what they've done and they've made themselves a club people want to play for. I wish my club had their consistency.

This Richmond vs Geelong discourse I only ever see on bigfooty though. I don't know any Richmond supporter in real life that thinks about Geelong as much as half the Richmond supporters on this site do. It gives me second hand embarrassment.
That second part is just crazy too. Like they're trapped in an echo chamber. Richmond fans I know IRL are all pretty normal people, bit more footy passion than most but you don't get those MAGA storm the capitol vibes from them.

Make no mistake.. the AFL are going to end up shooting themselves in the foot, trying to grow the game! Why would people from growth areas such as NSW, NZ and QLD want to follow the AFL when they know the sport revolves around Geelong?? The league is becoming too Geelong centric, and the issue needs to be fixed!

It's bad enough with the accusations of Victoria bias.. but the real issue is Geelong bias!

I think you're easily triggered/paranoid.

Geelong are a well run club. That's it.

I think Scott recently and tactfully alluded to Hawkins not just coming straight into the team and it would probably be very unlikely.

I think the players in the team - including Neale - have now earned their spot and performed beautifully against a tough team in an hostile environment.

Port Adelaide weren't a tough team. They turned to water (again).

Remove this Banner Ad

Banter Geelong V Richmond - GO!

Back