Banter Geelong V Richmond - GO!

Banter threads are not to be taken too seriously. Have fun. Let others have fun.

Who are the GOATS?

• Selwood

Votes: 93 44.3%
  • Dusty

Votes: 122 58.1%
  • Hawkins

Votes: 75 35.7%
  • J. Riewoldt

Votes: 44 21.0%
  • C.Scott

Votes: 64 30.5%
  • Hardwick

Votes: 59 28.1%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

In the interests of keeping your back and forth shite fights out of match threads so normal people can talk.

Keep it clean and above the shorts
Off topic rubbish clogging up match threads will be moved here, knock yourselves out.

homero-pelea-simpsons.gif

Last edited:
Are Geelong the only team to be allowed to train on their own ground every day and no other club is allowed to train there?
Yes, and we don't even let opposition supporters sit in the new Joel Selwood Stand that their taxes pay for. It's all part of Geelong's domination and why we're the most successful club of the 21st century.

Being heavily connected to those responsible for rule making goes some way . You didn’t get to trial rules prior to others knowing them cos your in a nice city.
Hocking / Scott.

Yes I’m sure when we were also top four regulars - as we are now - we went to the AFL and asked them to remove the ability to allow our fittest player, who is also 2 metres tall, to go third man up at every ruck contest. So the 2-and-a-bit out of 3-and-a-bit seasons of the rules YOU don’t like, you’ve addressed.

The other 14?

They’re just conspiracy and co-incidence too? You can’t make up how stupid this sounds.

I’m sure in that initial trial, that 100 minutes, it set us up with a head start that no other club has been able to pull back across 4-5 training sessions a week, 3-4 pre season games, intra club matches, and 23 home and away games plus finals in all the time since.

Pray tell, do you think at any stage, you could issue the other 650 paid professional footballers with ANY accountability to lean some f**ken rules and how to follow them?

Are we the only team with ears or something? Are we the only team who hears the word ‘stand’ when the umpire says it?

You know Richmond did have the option of still being good under the new rules, right?

We made a grand final under the old rules and the new ones.

It’s not that hard

Are Geelong the only team to be allowed to train on their own ground every day and no other club is allowed to train there?

Are Richmond the only club not allowed to use markers on their training ground to mimic other venues?

Are Richmond the only club not allowed to adjust to rule changes and be decent under them? Just wondering.

Are Richmond the only team who take possession of the ball and the dimensions of the ground change when THEY have the ball and suddenly it becomes tougher for their full time professional players to hit a target like they spend 9 months of the year training to do? Christ they must waste a lot of their time when they’re doing it:

‘Hey I’m over here, kick it to me.’

‘I can’t, we trained at Punt Road.’

‘Good point. Nevermind, just get tackled and drop it.’

Yes I’m sure when we were also top four regulars - as we are now - we went to the AFL and asked them to remove the ability to allow our fittest player, who is also 2 metres tall, to go third man up at every ruck contest. So the 2-and-a-bit out of 3-and-a-bit seasons of the rules YOU don’t like, you’ve addressed.

The other 14?

They’re just conspiracy and co-incidence too? You can’t make up how stupid this sounds.

I’m sure in that initial trial, that 100 minutes, it set us up with a head start that no other club has been able to pull back across 4-5 training sessions a week, 3-4 pre season games, intra club matches, and 23 home and away games plus finals in all the time since.

Pray tell, do you think at any stage, you could issue the other 650 paid professional footballers with ANY accountability to lean some f**ken rules and how to follow them?

Are we the only team with ears or something? Are we the only team who hears the word ‘stand’ when the umpire says it?

You know Richmond did have the option of still being good under the new rules, right?

We made a grand final under the old rules and the new ones.

It’s not that hard
The Stand rule was brought in by Steven Hocking who went from Geelong, to the AFL, then was sacked by the AFL when he said he was going back to Geelong.
That rule helped Geelong more than anyone.

Are Richmond the only club not allowed to use markers on their training ground to mimic other venues?

Are Richmond the only club not allowed to adjust to rule changes and be decent under them? Just wondering.

Are Richmond the only team who take possession of the ball and the dimensions of the ground change when THEY have the ball and suddenly it becomes tougher for their full time professional players to hit a target like they spend 9 months of the year training to do? Christ they must waste a lot of their time when they’re doing it:

‘Hey I’m over here, kick it to me.’

‘I can’t, we trained at Punt Road.’

‘Good point. Nevermind, just get tackled and drop it.’
I see your point but the Kardinia Park oval has non-semetrical dimensions and local flukey winds.
If you train on it everyday, that's a severe advantage.
Meanwhile, no one is allowed to train at the MCG and it's dimensions are true.

The Stand rule was brought in by Steven Hocking who went from Geelong, to the AFL, then was sacked by the AFL when he said he was going back to Geelong.
That rule helped Geelong more than anyone.

Did it?

See, the stand rule was brought in for 2021. we went from making a grand final in 2020 to being bashed up in a preliminary final in 2021 so that’s nice, it’s just… not true, is it. Because Melbourne not only annihilated us in that prelim, they did exactly the same in the grand final.
They did this after having only made the finals once (2018) in the preceding 15 seasons.

Geelong, boyyyyyyyy howdy, how that stand rule did help us.

We went frommmmm….. making a grand final to being belted in a prelim, after being in the top four essentially for 15 years.

Oh yeah.

Your facts are right on. You are nailing this like a pr0n star.

Did it?

See, we went from making a grand final in 2020 to being bashed up in a preliminary final in 2021 so that’s nice, it’s just… not true, is it. Because Melbourne not only annihilated us in that prelim, they did exactly the same in the grand final.
They did this after having one unmade the finals once (2018) in the preceding 15 seasons.

Geelong, boyyyyyyyy howdy, how that stand rule did help us.

We went frommmmm….. making a grand final to being belted in a prelim, after being in the top four essentially for 15 years.

Oh yeah.

Your facts are right on. You are nailing this like a pr0n star.
It's unethical in anyone's book for a club person to leave the club for a few years, make major changes to the rules of AFL and then return to his club.
That's why he was sacked in disgrace

I see your point but the Kardinia Park oval has non-semetrical dimensions and local flukey winds.
If you train on it everyday, that's a severe advantage.
Meanwhile, no one is allowed to train at the MCG and it's dimensions are true.

The severe advantage that has led us to a 66 per cent win record…. Which is way better than our….. 66 per cent win record at the MCG

Which both put into the shade our overall 2024 record of….

66 per cent.

It's unethical in anyone's book for a club person to leave the club for a few years, make major changes to the rules of AFL and then return to his club.
That's why he was sacked in disgrace

except he wasn’t sacked, was he. He left his post in July 2021 - well after the stand rule had been introduced fwiw, and didn’t commence with the Cats until the start of the next campaign.

How many of Tom Hawkins’ goals did he kick for him I wonder

I think the 66% was just this year, it's more like 80%.

Probably because we’ve been an exceptional team through most of that period I would imagine. Most teams that boast a 63 per cent away win record across 18 seasons tend to have exceptional home records particularly when they only play their against interstate teams and lower drawing Melbourne teams but hey, that’s just a guess.

Kind of how Richmond won 20 odd matches at the MCG in a row not because you had an unfair advantage but because you were, you know, good?

Probably because we’ve been an exceptional team through most of that period I would imagine. Most teams that boast a 63 per cent away win record across 18 seasons tend to have exceptional home records particularly when they only play their against interstate teams and lower drawing Melbourne teams but hey, that’s just a guess.
On a different point, why are Selwood and Hawkins so feted and lauded compared to the true greats of all time Ablett snr, Ablett jnr and Polly Farmer?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If they had got home finals, they'd be a shoo-in for the grand final. Geelong should play at Marvel Stadium or the MCG like other Victorian teams
Geelong is not in Melbourne you realize? why should they play home games in another city? and the irony of a Collingwood supporter posting about this is quite magnificent.

On a different point, why are Selwood and Hawkins so feted and lauded compared to the true greats of all time Ablett snr, Ablett jnr and Polly Farmer?
In regards to Polly Farmer, he is considered a legend at the club, but also a fair bit of recency bias against him, he played 60 years ago.

Ablett snr, never won a flag and did some really unpleasant shit off the field.

Ablett jr, ditched us for the best years of his career. Will always be loved but was simply not a one club player so can't be held in as high regards as Selwood ( Longest serving captain in AFL history) and Hawkins ( Games record holder).

Why do these discussions always end up focusing on war era flags lmao. No one here was alive when the plumbers and milkbar owners were going at it, no one should care

I agree. Bragging about flags that my grandfather didn't even see is the dumbest thing.

Eagles, Hawks, Cats have the best bragging rights of the AFL era in my opinion and that's what counts. They've done it multiple times with different lists.

I don’t know, and I don’t f**ken care.

You’re claiming it’s unethical for someone to go from the AFL to a club. Yet your saviour Gale did it.

Hocking didn’t even do it when the stand rule was brought in 😂
He did it a year later
He was sacked from the AFL for signing a contract to work with a club while he was on the rules committee

He was sacked from the AFL for signing a contract to work with a club while he was on the rules committee

You making that up doesn’t mean it happened, though, does it?

He was football operations boss, and stepped down mid-season 2021 to take up a new role in 2022.

None of what you try and rewrite will change that, will it mate 😂

Remove this Banner Ad

Banter Geelong V Richmond - GO!

Back