Geelong's first final to be played at Simonds Stadium?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
So many posters in this thread can't get their head around what our issue (as Freo fans) is with the prospect of playing at KP

The issue would be the same if we had to play at Patersons Stadium.

I just think the reaction shows fear. if you're side is good enough you'll beat us at any stadium in any city. I mean what would be better than to pants us at our own ground? The ultimate victory and bragging rights, if you're good enough. Why should 3rd place dictate to 2nd? If the situation was reversed you'd be calling us all weak.

The stance Freo fans are taking shows hypocrisy.

So many posters in this thread can't get their head around what our issue (as Freo fans) is with the prospect of playing at KP

That we've won 48 out of 50 games there?

Because, unless you can suddenly fit in 45 - 50000 supporters at the cattery, your ground is inadequate --- pure and simple.

Patersons stadium only fits 43,000... yet if we had to play there you'd be happy as pig in shit. The likelihood is that only about 5000 Freo supporters will travel for this match so why do they need the MCG or Etihad? I wasn't fussed about the side playing at Etihad but seeing all the obnoxious crap you Freo supporters are posting I hope it does happen at Simonds.

The issue would be the same if we had to play at Patersons Stadium.

I just think the reaction shows fear. if you're side is good enough you'll beat us at any stadium in any city. I mean what would be better than to pants us at our own ground? The ultimate victory and bragging rights, if you're good enough. Why should 3rd place dictate to 2nd? If the situation was reversed you'd be calling us all weak.

The stance Freo fans are taking shows hypocrisy.

We don't fear you - some posters I know are upset because of you're record there, but our record at Subi (since about round 11 last year anyway) has been pretty similar

It's the logistics as well - I was planning on maybe heading over to Melbourne for the game, but now the prospect of KP has deterred me somewhat - if it was a Saturday night game I'd have planned to get the midnight horror out of Melbourne, if the game is in Geelong that adds a fair amount of extra travelling time - I wouldn't be alone with this either

Not to mention the lack of tickets available etc - I agree with the Steves on this one

And you're right, 3rd shouldn't dictate to 2nd, but then by that argument, the winner of 5th and 8th (should you lose) shouldn't dictate to you either and have that final played at Etihad/MCG over KP

Hey im_a_lazy_sod if it does end up happening. Just post a nice note in the thread on the cats board and you'll get plenty of people willing to help you out with suggestions. Generally its not much of a problem extra trains are put on etc etc. At a guess I would say the game would be afternoon/twilight to make sure it's not up against the "blockbuster" at the G. Plenty of time. :thumbsu:

Maybe fly into Avalon.

Actually, Tullamarine is in the middle of nowhere and half way to Geelong anyway.

Gull do it but they cost like 55 return. I think it's probably cheaper doing sky bus or whatever its called and then train, but the dicking around might not be worth it.

Suits us perfectly Cameron_K. We/AFL still get the money and it proves to the AFL in the first place that Freo don't draw a crowd and justifies having the game at Skilled. Bring it. :thumbsu:

It's not the way it's been done in recent years,
It's not the way it was expected to be done this year,
And it is an absolute, definite advantage to the opposition,

Is anyone actually surprised that Freo have said hell no

As a WA Freo fan I dont give a ****

Anyone, anywhere if we're good enough.

Of course there's still a game between now and then anyway.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think Fremantle needs to figure out one thing and one thing only, if they finish third and geelong finishes second, then half the logic is to award Geelong a home advantage, and Geelong plays home games in Geelong!! So believe it or not coming second gets a ground advantage over third, if you don't like it then maybe come back next year and win more games. Secondly, the revenue from 34,000 at skilled stadium is a lot more than 40,000 at the mcg, ticket prices at skilled are through the roof and a lot more than the mcg. And that's all the afl cares about, revenue brought in, they don't give two cents about numbers sitting on seats or who misses out, just take a look at the grand final for proof of this.

I think the difference is that Sydney have a large Melbourne based supporter base ie the old South Melbourne supporters, and it's cheaper to fly from Sydney to Melb as opposed to Perth to Melb. I just can't see a huge exodus of Freo supporters flying here for a Qualifying final anyway.

I think you need to be aware that if it is played at Simonds it will be an AFL ticketed match so a larger proportion of Geelong members will miss out on seeing it compared to the 5,000 Freo ones that fly across for it. But that being the case we would still love to see it played at Simonds.
But Sydney always play at Simonds during home and away, just like Fremantle. Why is there suddenly a new rule invented on the eve of the finals?

The real question is: when does this league actually become professional?

So the complaint is that the game will attract at least 50k fans so it should be at Etihad? Does that apply if Freo finish above Geelong because Pattersons doesn't fit enough people either.

Edit: If Geelong were 2 wins and 48 losses at SS this would be a non-issue.
It should be at the MCG. Games between top four teams in the finals in Victoria should always be at the MCG. The teams aren't playing for peanuts, they're playing for a shot at the flag, and the grand final is played there. Playing at a secondary venue should not even be a consideration.

The AFL however want to play minor finals at the MCG. Why? I thought it was home state advantage, but apparently not.

There's no reason why Collingwood versus Port shouldn't be at Etihad. They've played each other there in recent years before. Why does a nothing finals match on a Sunday that has minimal bearing on the shape of the finals get the priority venue? We all know why, but you'd wonder with the rolling scandals that the AFL have minimal competence in handling they'd start operating a bit more professionally.

I dont have a problem with finals being played there, but FFS I wish the AFL would decide on this earlier. Ive already booked a flight to Melbourne under the assumption that the game would be played there. Given AFL statements on finals venues it was a fair assumption. This sort of shit should be determined at the start of the year, not an ad hoc basis a week before the bloody finals.

What happens if Freo win this week and Geelong lose?

Doesn't matter they won't play bigger sides at Simmonds, they don't do it during regular season so no chance in finals.

For some reason one of the 'Big Four' always do make the trip down the highway each year. They are in the finals this year but, yeah, I don't think they'll be doing that again if we meet each other.

If crowd maximisation is a priority, then the game should be at Docklands. If it is not, then every 'home' final Geelong play should be played at Kardinia. Fully sympathise with Fremantle supporters here.

It's called a home ground advantage for a reason. If you work all year to get yourself in a position to play a home fine you should be allowed to play a home final. Sydney at the SCG, Geelong at the Cattery.

I still remember 1997 when Geelong finished 2nd and North 7th. The final was a Friday night at the MCG - North had played something like 11 Friday night games at the G already that year. Hardly a home final.

Reward for effort. Play at home.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back