Geelong's first final to be played at Simonds Stadium?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
What will be will be but its hard not to feel marginalised by the AFL when they actually come out and say we are the only team that would be made to play there. Our last final in Melbourne pulled a decent crowd and Etihad will be empty. Makes little sense.

This is what makes the AFL such a joke in my eyes. The rules always change depending on the team. This is why the SANFL never wanted to join an expanded AFL but start a new competition from scratch, there are so many compromises in the competition, it goes beyond a joke.

How about this for a clusterf*ck:

Haw vs Syd (Haw win)
Geelong vs Freo (Geel win)
Coll vs Port (Sunday, Pies win)

Pies won't want to play off 5 day break, Subi unavailable on Sat, semi played on Sunday.

Freo vs Coll (Sunday)

Winner goes through to play Hawthorn, neither will want to play off a 5 day break, Hawks won't want to have a smaller break going into a Grand Final for the second year in a row.

What does the AFL do? Put the other prelim on friday night again? Two prelims on Saturday?

Why is it not available?
Because Tigers/ Pies finals will draw more crowds?
There is that argument again.
Freo , a relative minnow in finals scenarios, will have to enhance their crowd allure. VICIOUS CIRCLE.

Why do second class finals games get first class venues over games between the top four?

Whatever happens with other teams is none of your business.
I don't agree, should be one rule for all.

There should be an agreement between GFC and AFL as to where finals are to be played, with an order of preference depending on ground availability. Multi-million dollar decisions should not be made on a whim.

As I said earlier, Geelong have every right to play home finals in Geelong, but there should be a pre-determined set of criteria so every team knows where they stand.

Collingwood V Port Adelaide would likely be the Saturday Night game and Richmond V Carlton/Brisbane/North Melbourne would be the Sunday Afternoon game.

That way, assuming the ladder stays the way it is, the loser of Geelong/Fremantle will play the winner of Collingwood/Port Adelaide on the Friday Night.

Collingwood would get back to back 6 day breaks but all else would remain in sink...

I think it's quite reasonable for Geelong to play a home final at their traditional home ground. HOWEVER these decisions should be made before the season even begins, not on the fly. This is a multi-billion dollar organisation and this mickey mouse amateur hour has to stop. Would not be happy if I was a Freo fan.

Agreed. Nine days out, they decide to play finals at a ground that has never had finals.

Foresight is obviously not a core competency to get paid six figure salaries at the AFL. They know Hird is looking at peptides, they do nothing. They hear teams might be tanking, they do nothing. The likelihood of four Victorian finals is well known, and they come up with a half baked solution at the last minute.

I don't agree, should be one rule for all.

There should be an agreement between GFC and AFL as to where finals are to be played, with an order of preference depending on ground availability. Multi-million dollar decisions should not be made on a whim.

As I said earlier, Geelong have every right to play home finals in Geelong, but there should be a pre-determined set of criteria so every team knows where they stand.
This is spot on. How could this possibly be argued.

In a league where everyone screams about a compromised fixture, it's amazing that people are willing to accept that fixturing in finals (when it's most important) can be made on the fly and without precedent.

Last years final vs Geelong drew 44,460. That is above capacity of Kardinia Park. The AFL defend this by saying there were MCC members and such but that's utterly irrelevant.

I think if we have to play at skilled fair enough, they have finished higher so tough. Although if I were Sydney I would be questioning why they haven't got to play finals at there home ground the SCG in similar circumstances? I remember a final against a low drawing north being played at ANZ 5 or 6 years back.

Now that was embarrassing for the AFL. Less than 20k showed up.

This is spot on. How could this possibly be argued.

In a league where everyone screams about a compromised fixture, it's amazing that people are willing to accept that fixturing in finals (when it's most important) can be made on the fly and without precedent.

Last years final vs Geelong drew 44,460. That is above capacity of Kardinia Park. The AFL defend this by saying there were MCC members and such but that's utterly irrelevant.

Its not irrelevant if the match isn't staged at the MCG and is instead played at Ethiad Stadium. To suggest that Geelong V Fremantle would draw 40,000 to 50,000 at Ethiad is unrealistic given the fact that MCG finals have a significant buffer effect.

If Hawthorn get rolled tonight I'd be hoping that the club administration would now be using this as precedent to push for a Launceston final against the Dockers...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If Hawthorn get rolled tonight I'd be hoping that the club administration would now be using this as precedent to push for a Launceston final against the Dockers...

Now you're just trolling.

Vlad has said it will be at Simonds.

The game will be at Simonds.

If we win this should silence the haters. I would back us for the flag then. There will be no where for other teams to hide if we can take on the biggest home ground advantage in the AFL and get to a home prelim.

That's how the players should be looking at it.

Geelong have earnt the right to play at their home ground.Simple as that.
Comparing to the SCG and ANZ is a waste of time.At least ANZ is in Sydney,only 14km from the Sydney CBD.
The last time I went to Geelong,it was actually a different city to Melbourne located over 75kms away.
Why do Geelong HAVE to play at the MCG or Etihad?
If its just about capacity,demand Adelaide or Fremantle to play their HOME games at the MCG.

It's hypocritical that any team from west would complain about this. My only concern is there isn't enough seating, as I was at last year's elimination game but unable to watch this game in the flesh.

Maybe since they have been rewarded the final at Geelong it might give the developers/council a kick in the arse to get their act together and complete the rest of the development.

MOST Freo fans will stay in WA and watch TV, as they should, pragmatically. What's the big deal about 10k on seats, when our competition is based on TV rights?
MOST Freo fans will stay in WA and watch TV, as they should, pragmatically. What's the big deal about 10k on seats, when our competition is based on TV rights?

I'd have no problem with the cats hosting a final at SS if they could cater for the 40-50k but the ground can't.

Bigger crowd,bigger atmosphere,closed roof at the dome with 40-50k will produce are way better atmosphere than 30k at regional footy stadium.Seriously ,this f&$king finals for f&)k sake.

Fremantle are scared "Anyone, anywhere, anytime" my ass.... hahaha
Yes that must be it. Heaven forbid we should have a discussion about the vagaries & inconsistencies of the AFL pertaining to fixturing (involving supporters from most clubs). It couldn't possibly be that Freo supporters will have travel plans thrown into disarray or anything like that. We are scared :rolleyes:

No, if Geelong win and you lose, Geelong finish top and Hawthorn face Fremantle.

But he was talking about how he can get Freo to finish 4th, but his plan meant that Hawks would slip to 2nd and Geelong would be 1st.

Same problem.

If Hawks lose and Freo and Geelong win then this will be avoided, but our game would be scheduled in Tassie

Based on last year this will lose about 10-15,000 fans at the game. And most of the difference is Cats fans who will miss out on tickets as a similar number of dockers will make the trip.

And why just freo... why are we singled out specifically as the only team this could ever happen to? why would a Geelong home final Vs Gold Coast, GWS, Port, Bulldogs, North or any other team that struggles to cobble together half a bus of fans in Melbourne not be played at Skilled? Why would Geelong want to give up Skilled advantage against the Pies or Hawks?

It is either consistant home advantage, or it is a game at the venue that will pull in the biggest crowd.

WE should treat the game with the respect it deserves and send the worst 22. Shame we've not got one of the bottom 8 teams as we'd still win.

But he was talking about how he can get Freo to finish 4th, but his plan meant that Hawks would slip to 2nd and Geelong would be 1st.

Same problem.

If Hawks lose and Freo and Geelong win then this will be avoided, but our game would be scheduled in Tassie

Pretty unlikely for Freo and Sydney to switch positions unless both games are thumpings.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back