Geelong's first final to be played at Simonds Stadium?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Only a game and percentage (6.3%) clear. So it could happen but unlikely.

St Kilda are that shit that Freo will still probably win.

Goot remember that not all 10 players coming in are newbies. They have Sandi, Pearce, Ibbotson, Silvagni coming in who are all seasoned players.Only 1 debutant.

Some people gotta take of the tin foil thinking they are trying to deliberately move down to 4th spot.

exactly right and three of them would be in our best 22...

Can someone tell me the equivalent suburb of Perth, Geelong is to Melbourne. I lived in Hawthorn as a kid until 6 but can't ever remember venturing to Geelong. Kwinana, Rockingham?

This this thread is pretty much Freo's supporters opinions + 10% of others
VS 90% of everyone else saying it's fair for Geelong to have a final at SS.
On another note. Freo resting 10 players is the most obvious ploy to avoid a SS final.
It's embarrasing.
Supporters will give other reasons, but we know it's not true.

They say "anyone, anywhere" and then tank their last game to avoid us. Pathetic.

I take it you guys are not confident of besting Brisbane?

I think it's quite reasonable for Geelong to play a home final at their traditional home ground. HOWEVER these decisions should be made before the season even begins, not on the fly. This is a multi-billion dollar organisation and this mickey mouse amateur hour has to stop. Would not be happy if I was a Freo fan.

Only a game and percentage (6.3%) clear. So it could happen but unlikely.

St Kilda are that shit that Freo will still probably win.

Goot remember that not all 10 players coming in are newbies. They have Sandi, Pearce, Ibbotson, Silvagni coming in who are all seasoned players.Only 1 debutant.

Some people gotta take of the tin foil thinking they are trying to deliberately move down to 4th spot.

exactly right and three of them would be in our best 22...

i still think it's a bit of a raw deal from Freo's perspective... i'm sure they were looking very favourable on a Docklands final, and now suddenly this is proposed...

the AFL are only interested because the planets aligned for four Vic finals where neither one is really suitable for Docklands... things would have gone over more smoothly had the AFL announced at the start of the year that due to the upgrades at KP, Geelong would host a final in Week 1 if it was against a non Vic side... that would have been fair enough

still, i think it's a good thing for KP/Geelong if this happens though

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They can't, they're a game and a half clear of Sydney. Sydney can't finish anywhere other than 4th.

Incorrect, game and %
Swans smashing Haw, and Saints beating Freo could see Freo 4th, Swans 3rd

i still think it's a bit of a raw deal from Freo's perspective... i'm sure they were looking very favourable on a Docklands final, and now suddenly this is proposed...

the AFL are only interested because the planets aligned for four Vic finals where neither one is really suitable for Docklands... things would have gone over more smoothly had the AFL announced at the start of the year that due to the upgrades at KP, Geelong would host a final in Week 1 if it was against a non Vic side... that would have been fair enough

still, i think it's a good thing for KP/Geelong if this happens though

If Sydney play Geelong, it will not be at Skilled Stadium.

If this is there home, then they should play all Home Finals games there, regardless of the opposition.

This this thread is pretty much Freo's supporters opinions + 10% of others
VS 90% of everyone else saying it's fair for Geelong to have a final at SS.
On another note. Freo resting 10 players is the most obvious ploy to avoid a SS final.
It's embarrasing.
Supporters will give other reasons, but we know it's not true.

They say "anyone, anywhere" and then tank their last game to avoid us. Pathetic.

As embarrassing as being a known bet welcher?

If Sydney play Geelong, it will not be at Skilled Stadium.

If this is there home, then they should play all Home Finals games there, regardless of the opposition.

Rubbish- only v teams that are unlikely to draw crowds in Vic in excess of 35000, which includes Freo, GC, GWS, Port.

The Fat Controller claims the crowd is likely to be 33K. That may be true if it's played in Geelong. If played in Melbourne surely it's likely to be at least 10K more than that?

http://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/af...-simonds-stadium/story-fndv8haf-1226706291600

"It is one of the possibilities we will look at. If the ladder finishes the way we think it could, we have the perfect storm of four games in Victoria and three of the home teams are big-drawing MCG tenants in Hawthorn, Collingwood and Richmond.

"Geelong are the ones who could play at Etihad Stadium, and they are the second-placed team, and they would play Fremantle, so that means you should look at Simonds Stadium.

As per the article, what happens if Hawthorn and Geelong switch positions on the ladder. Will Hawthorn get the MCG against Fremantle or quite possibly could we play our first final in Launceston?

Since 2007 we've played just one home game at Ethiad Stadium. In the same time we've played 48 home games at the MCG and 28 home games at Aurora. Think of all the millions of dollars that staging a one-off final could generate in Tasmania? More than any other Victorian club Ethiad Stadium is no home ground to Hawthorn (we play games in Tasmania to avoid playing home games at the venue)

Using the AFL modelling, a Hawthorn-Fremantle Ethiad final would probably draw 38,000 to 40,000 (on the premise that a Qualifying Final would draw a 20% larger crowd than a typical home and away game) so the Ethiad Stadium management would likely favour waving a potential Hawthorn-Fremantle final for 2 extra home and away games next year.

I think if we have to play at skilled fair enough, they have finished higher so tough. Although if I were Sydney I would be questioning why they haven't got to play finals at there home ground the SCG in similar circumstances? I remember a final against a low drawing north being played at ANZ 5 or 6 years back.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back