Geelong's record in finals under Chris Scott

Remove this Banner Ad

So was 2022 the aberration?

No, they were just clearly the best side in the comp that year.

They haven’t been that this year and done well to be in a prelim IMO.

Maybe pre 2022 you could make that argument in some seasons they could have done better, but even then they were often just maxing out what they had on the list and found out by better sides.

Disagree. The only game cats struggled to beat in the second half of the season was Collingwood in the GF. Pretty much one of only a couple of times the pies lost a close one and the only time they threw away a 3qtr lead since they started their crazy run in mid 2022. Cats were very thankful the swans prevailed in the PF

Could make that argument from 2007, if pies were that good they would have won the prelim.

Pies were a better side in 2023 than 2022 (especially the first 15-16 rounds where they regularly belted sides)

13 wins vs 15 loses as coach, 2 premierships

That's a pretty good return. Albeit the first premiership was a bit of a gift. Hell of a team to be handed.

Amazing coach. Great record.

Hope he goes to Tassie in 2-3 years to get them humming.

It’s rewriting history saying 2011 was a gift.

They’d been flogged in the 2010 prelim and many declared the era over, especially after losing Ablett too.

Scott rejuvenated them for another go around, probably relieved to not have an unpredictable meth addict as coach.

They made some selection errors, if they had won we'd be singing their praises. I suppose you could say they have been preliminary final chokers? Most footy fans have been envious of Geelong for years, Scott will never win the morons over.
Carlton were nearly going to build Voss a statue for losing a prelim

Scott is a master coach.
He’s done well with the list they have, especially their midfield.

For all their fans bleating this year, Bruin, Bowes and Guthrie aren’t the answer in their midfield.

If Clarke is any good he needs to come straight into the team in round one for one of them. Bailey Smith will give them some outside run but I still see them lacking.

They over achieved this year, even in a year as even and weak as it was.
Scott has a lot of talent to work with, it's just that very few of our players are in their peak years.
He did well this year with our midfield, and turned water into wine by getting us into top 4 and a preliminary final.

Cam Guthrie won our best and fairest in 2022.
It's easy to forget how good he is given he's barely been able to get on the park the last two years, if he gets on the park next year it'll be like getting a new recruit.

Bruhn and Clark will improve a lot next year, especially with another pre season under their belts.
Dempsey and Humphries will rotate through the midfield more next year with another pre season under their belts, too.

Scott has a lot of talent to work with, it's just that very few of our players are in their peak years.
He did well this year with our midfield, and turned water into wine by getting us into top 4 and a preliminary final.

Cam Guthrie won our best and fairest in 2022.
It's easy to forget how good he is given he's barely been able to get on the park the last two years, if he gets on the park next year it'll be like getting a new recruit.

Bruhn and Clark will improve a lot next year, especially with another pre season under their belts.
Dempsey and Humphries will rotate through the midfield more next year with another pre season under their belts, too.
Agree with your sentiment on Scott. He got the most out of limited resources this year. Admire your optimism on the rest.

Cam Guthries an interesting one, had that great year no doubt but was very much hit and miss before that. If he can get on the park he’ll contribute no doubt but I’d be surprised if he’s a real difference maker.

They've had one straight sets exit, out of 14 top four finishes in the last 20 years. (1 in 15 if you go back 21 years).

Yeah, it certainly does speak for itself.

And it's actually 7 prelim losses in 20 years, with 6 wins.

In the last 20 years (2005-2024):
  • 17 finals series
  • 14 top four H/A finishes
  • 1 straight sets exit
  • 13 prelims
  • 7 prelim losses
  • 6 prelim wins
  • 2 grand final losses
  • 4 grand final wins

OK I was going by 2004, so yes it’s 8 based on that but sorry.

How about we go ten years, post your actually brilliant sides.

7 prelims for 2 wins (and let’s be honest, it’s 6 and 1, anyone who counts 2020 as anything is kidding themselves). Ordinary sides making prelims because of the draw advantage. Like I said.

You’ve had 14/15 final rounds at Kardinia a park. It’s a sick joke and you haven’t been good enough with every possible advantage. Sad really.

OK I was going by 2004, so yes it’s 8 based on that but sorry.

How about we go ten years, post your actually brilliant sides.

7 prelims for 2 wins (and let’s be honest, it’s 6 and 1, anyone who counts 2020 as anything is kidding themselves). Ordinary sides making prelims because of the draw advantage. Like I said.

You’ve had 14/15 final rounds at Kardinia a park. It’s a sick joke and you haven’t been good enough with every possible advantage. Sad really.
Geelong play less home games at KP than West Coast play at Optus, every single year.

Unfair advantages do exist though, granted - such as actually recruiting and trading well - ie effectively converting the Tim Kelly trade capital into Jezza Cameron (cheers by the way cobber!), and recruiting young stars from other club's academies such as Lawson Humphries because said club doesn't recognise their obvious talent.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That’s one year. Honestly they were smashed last night but got some very, very lucky goals. Happy to be shown a single goal of theirs which you look back and say “that was good football”.

9 prelim losses in 20 years speaks for itself. As does the straight sets record.

Make it because of draw and get found out time and time again. Yet lauded as this wonder club.
lol- 4 flags in 17 years - it’s pretty wonderful from where I sit.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Geelong's record in finals under Chris Scott

Remove this Banner Ad

Back