Geez, Collingwood supporters calm down...

Remove this Banner Ad

Lioness_Summer

Senior List
Nov 21, 2004
Other Teams
Me!
This thread is mainly to address the Collingwood supporters, a.k.a Brisbane Lions haters! I'm not usually into attacking another team, too bad I can’t say the same thing about the Pies. NOT all, just MOSTLY. And I'm seriously tired of them b!t.c.h.i.n.g about the Lions like a bunch of little girls. Now most of you Pies are already closing that our 3PEAT was a cheat...pfft doubt that. But it's our turn to fire back.

Some people already discounted the Pies' effort of 74 years earlier because they'd had to rely on a technicality. Twice.

Year 1929: The Pies lost the semi to Richmond, had a weekend off as the Tigers beat Carlton in the final, and won a Grannie that was only played because the Pies, as minor premierships, held the right of challenge.

Year 1930: After the Cats defeated them in the final, they were granted a re-match and duly won their 4th premiership running.

Lioness_Summer said:
This thread is mainly to address the Collingwood supporters, a.k.a Brisbane Lions haters! I'm not usually into attacking another team, too bad I can’t say the same thing about the Pies. NOT all, just MOSTLY. And I'm seriously tired of them b!t.c.h.i.n.g about the Lions like a bunch of little girls. Now most of you Pies are already closing that our 3PEAT was a cheat...pfft doubt that. But it's our turn to fire back.

Some people already discounted the Pies' effort of 74 years earlier because they'd had to rely on a technicality. Twice.

Year 1929: The Pies lost the semi to Richmond, had a weekend off as the Tigers beat Carlton in the final, and won a Grannie that was only played because the Pies, as minor premierships, held the right of challenge.

Year 1930: After the Cats defeated them in the final, they were granted a re-match and duly won their 4th premiership running.
Yes, that's all true, but it's not like only Collingwood were allowed to do that. Any team that finished on top of the ladder could have. It's not as though any other team (outside of Sydney, who actually need it due to the higher, not lower cost of living) can use the salary cap concessions that Brisbane were given.

Supposedly to pay players to keep them from going interstate, they used the concessions to bring in players such as Blake Caracella when Essendon couldn't afford him, and let guys like Des Headland leave to go home, precisely what the money was supposed to be for. Likewise, they also gave guys like Michael Voss, Jason Akermanis, Clark Keating and Darryl White big contracts deals with the cash, despite the fact that they're from Queensland, and so they're desire to "go home" is obviously a non-issue. Furthermore, Ashley McGrath stated that he didn't want to leave Queensland for Melbourne because the weather was too cold down here. Doesn't that mean Melbourne should get a cold weather concession?

They were supposed to be getting concessions to ensure that there is an incentive for players to play in Brisbane, yet I don't see the down side to playing in Australia's most beautiful climate, especially when they have had priority selections on players from the Queensland area, and still retain priority on Queensland rookies, and hence, are free to pick up as many Queenslanders for their team as they want.

Collingwood weren't given any advantage such as this that seperated them from the rest of the field. What they had was that time's equivalent of the double chance. It may have been a flawed system, but it was fair and equal to all teams.

Lioness_Summer said:
This thread is mainly to address the Collingwood supporters, a.k.a Brisbane Lions haters!

Don't flatter yourselves thinking we hate Brisbane. Sure watching you fall down the ladder now that you have to work with the same rules as Collingwood will be interesting. But don't think Brisbane are to Collingwood what Carlton, Essendon, Port Adelaide or even Fitzroy football clubs are to us in terms of Rivals.

Get a Clue and stop living of the theme that you are a great Club because the Collingwood FC "hate" you.
In other words stop living off our coat tails. Create your own history and traditions...... if you can.

Lioness_Summer said:

1929:
In other words what we did to you in 2003

1930:
We were the best side in the league and the rules let us paly the Grand Final, The First one wasn't a Gran Final anyway

They played and won by the rules of the day, same as Essendon in 1924.
Pies 4 in a row, no matter how they achieved it, is a great effort.
Brisbane won 3 in a row by the rules of the day, had the chance to equal 4 straight and blew it, get over it.

Mate you can only play by the rules that are there. They were good enough to finish 1st so they benifit from the rules that were in place. Its the same for every team. Why dont you go bag all the other teams that won with that rule? There are other teams who have. You obviously hat Collingwood just like you say that Collingwood hates Brisbane.

Look mate, collingwood had the same rules apply to them as the rest of the competition when they won those finals. so it's completely different.

BUT

It's important to keep those rules in mind when people talk about the collingwood team of the late 20's.

i.e. they had it a lot easier than other "dynasties" due to those rules.

And that is why I, in my incredibly biased opinion, would say the greatest dynasty is melbourne of the 50's who played in 7 grand finals in a row. Without being able to challenge if they lost a granny.

Either way, collingwood of the 20's were perfectly within the rules when they challenged. Let it go.

Collingwood supporters (including even Eddie) have been relatively chilled out and quiet about our preparation this off-season so I don't know what you're talking about.

Sounds more like to me that your concessions and run has come to an end so you're looking to bait us to fire us up to keep some interest.

Port is who we're trying to catch now, not you washed up cheats.

I expect to hear more from you as the kiss arse aura of the Lions decreases significantly from 2005 and beyond.

tess said:
In other words stop living off our coat tails. Create your own history and traditions...... if you can.
I'm pretty sure the Lions have been doing that in recent years....... ;)

Anyways I do disagree with the original poster, I think Collingwood supporters have pretty much been hating everyone equally, as expected. Well bar their special hatred for Essendon and Carlton. ;) Haven't noticed any unusually vicious attacks on the Lions......

lioness said:
I'm pretty sure the Lions have been doing that in recent years....... ;)

Anyways I do disagree with the original poster, I think Collingwood supporters have pretty much been hating everyone equally, as expected. Well bar their special hatred for Essendon and Carlton. ;) Haven't noticed any unusually vicious attacks on the Lions......
Only a vicious attack was a Lion eating a Magpie, other then that, nothing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Footyboy said:
Gosh, I love these discussions, Brisbane/Collingwood make great rivarlies...

:rolleyes:
Could be worse, could be the 1 millionth thread on Port's SANFL glory days, atleast this one is one that hasn't been done in awhile.

vinnie_vegas69 said:
Likewise, they also gave guys like Michael Voss, Jason Akermanis, Clark Keating and Darryl White big contracts deals with the cash, despite the fact that they're from Queensland, and so they're desire to "go home" is obviously a non-issue.

Voss & Aka = Brownlow Medalist.... wouldn't they demand BIG contracts at any club? Would they be on similar $$$ to Nathan? By your theory they should be paid below market value because their from Qld. :confused:

Darryl White from Northern Territory perhaps???

Don't let facts get in the ways of a poorly argued biased opinion. Perhaps thats part of the point the original post is making.

rick James said:
Look mate, collingwood had the same rules apply to them as the rest of the competition when they won those finals. so it's completely different.

BUT

It's important to keep those rules in mind when people talk about the collingwood team of the late 20's.

i.e. they had it a lot easier than other "dynasties" due to those rules.

And that is why I, in my incredibly biased opinion, would say the greatest dynasty is melbourne of the 50's who played in 7 grand finals in a row. Without being able to challenge if they lost a granny.

Either way, collingwood of the 20's were perfectly within the rules when they challenged. Let it go.

Precisely Mr James. ;)

yep face it collingwood are bitter bastards cant beat them on field so they try off field...............

........... how much extra money 'inside' the salary cap do you think ed manages to get the likes of buckley etc, wonder what that shampoo commercial cost??

lions fans sit back and enjoy it......................

Bobby Beecroft said:
Voss & Aka = Brownlow Medalist.... wouldn't they demand BIG contracts at any club? Would they be on similar $$$ to Nathan? By your theory they should be paid below market value because their from Qld. :confused:

Don't let facts get in the ways of a poorly argued biased opinion. Perhaps thats part of the point the original post is making.

Voss grew up in Gippsland yet doesn't seem to be champing at the bit to get back there, and is quite happy to stay in brisbane, so does he need an extra allowance to keep him somewhere where he prepared to stay anyway?

Bobby Beecroft said:

It's not about the amount they deserve. Yes they should be making a lot of cash, but while Essendon were forced to lose players due to salary cap pressure when they'd built a dynasty, Brisbane were given a concession to keep thier players. It was supposed to be to keep interstate players from going home, but in reality, nobody actually wants to leave, so all it does is allow them to pay their players more than other teams can.

And I forgot about Darryl White, you're right, he probably does want to go back to NT and play for the Darwin Thunder... Oh, right, there is no team in NT, and Brisbane is obviously the closest team to NT; let alone the fact that he was a zoned selection back in 1991, as Brisbane had rights to drafting NT players back then too.

vinnie_vegas69 said:
It's not about the amount they deserve. Yes they should be making a lot of cash, but while Essendon were forced to lose players due to salary cap pressure when they'd built a dynasty, Brisbane were given a concession to keep thier players. It was supposed to be to keep interstate players from going home, but in reality, nobody actually wants to leave, so all it does is allow them to pay their players more than other teams can.

And I forgot about Darryl White, you're right, he probably does want to go back to NT and play for the Darwin Thunder... Oh, right, there is no team in NT, and Brisbane is obviously the closest team to NT; let alone the fact that he was a zoned selection back in 1991, as Brisbane had rights to drafting NT players back then too.

I would have thought Adelaide was far closer than brisbane to Alice Springs.

Lioness_Summer said:

This is the 4peat we keep hearing about?

HAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!! LMAO!!!

That is sad.

Remove this Banner Ad

Geez, Collingwood supporters calm down...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back