No Oppo Supporters General AFL and other clubs discussion thread. **Opposition fans not welcome** Part 4

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bit of an observation so far this season.

Top teams all have multi-dimensional forward lines with multiple, in some cases up to 4 or 5 genuine marking forwards(1 on 1, contested or leading)

Geelong - hawkins, rohan, ablett, dangerfield, ratugolea, dalhaus

Collingwood - Cox, de goey, elliot, stephenson, Thomas, Hoskin-elliot

Richmond - Riewoldt, Lynch, caddy, higgins, rioli, martin

Freo - Hogan, Taberner, Matera, Walters, Mcarthy, Lobb

GWS - Cameron, Finlayson, Greene, Coniglio, Himmelberg, Bonar(i think)

Compare this to the hawks

Roughhead, Gunston, Breust, Wingard, Lewis, Puopolo

we have a past-peak roughhead(the only player listed here clearly past his best), an out of form gunston whos being tossed down back, breust who has been pretty good this year, wingard who is building fitness and still yet to gel with the system, lewis a young key forward with I believe a long time before he starts really grabbing games by the throat and puopolo who is barely a marking option at all.

Definite distinction between our forward line composition, and those at the top of the league.

Last edited:
It has always been a rort. You can't pick one city and provide additional salary cap room and claim it is because they are mroe expensive than the others. Either every city gets a weighting or no one does.

Perhaps the Swans should fess up and admit that paying a quarter of their cap to Buddy, Kennedy and Tippett in 2019 was not such a great idea...
If swannies get it, does that mean GWS get it too? Or is it only for eastern suburban clubs?

If swannies get it, does that mean GWS get it too? Or is it only for eastern suburban clubs?

We should get it as well. Two states, tassie can be expensive, Melbourne is expensive. The boys need a private jet, just so they can traverse backwards and forwards on a regular basis.

Something weird happened this week. I got all my tips correct. That's at least 4 games better than I've done in any previous week!

Same here mate.

I was leading the footy tipping at work and then changed 4 tips for Round 5 at the last minute and got them all wrong.

I ended up with 2 and moved from 1st to 13th which was quite deflating.

But then I got them all correct in Round 6 and managed to climb back to 4th with the best margin in the group.

It's currently sitting at a margin of 73 and is almost half of the next closest margin.

Need a couple more big weeks to get back on top because first prize this year if $350 and I could use that to buy a few frothies 😁

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If they are worried about the lower paid players and their lifestyle, then it's legit. If they're worried about where Sydney is on the ladder then it's the rort we all said it was.

This whole COLA topic has resurfaced I think due to an article with Jimmy Bartel (GWS board member) stating that he thinks COLA should be brought back because the Swans vs Giants game only had just under 29,780 people attend (Buddy and Davis were out). Long story short he pretty much confirms that COLA should be brought back so they can have more room in the cap to sign start players which totally goes against what it was meant for. I'm glad he said it that way because he pretty much proved what we all though what the extra $$$ would be used for.

Screen Shot 2019-04-30 at 1.05.48 pm.png

Bit of an observation so far this season.

Top teams all have multi-dimensional forward lines with multiple, in some cases up to 4 or 5 genuine marking forwards(1 on 1, contested or leading)

Geelong - hawkins, rohan, ablett, dangerfield, ratugolea, dalhaus

Collingwood - Cox, de goey, elliot, stephenson, Thomas, Hoskin-elliot

Richmond - Riewoldt, Lynch, caddy, higgins, rioli, martin

Freo - Hogan, Taberner, Matera, Walters, Mcarthy, Lobb

GWS - Cameron, Finlayson, Greene, Coniglio, Himmelberg, Bonar(i think)

Compare this to the hawks

Roughhead, Gunston, Breust, Wingard, Lewis, Puopolo

we have a past-peak roughhead(the only player listed here clearly past his best), an out of form gunston whos being tossed down back, breust who has been pretty good this year, wingard who is building fitness and still yet to gel with the system, lewis a young key forward with I believe a long time before he starts really grabbing games by the throat and puopolo who is barely a marking option at all.

Definite distinction between our forward line composition, and those at the top of the league.

You didn't even go into Brisbane's forward line either.

You didn't even go into Brisbane's forward line either.
Ill add
St Kilda: Gresham, Lonie, Kent, Bruce, Membrey, Parker
Brisbane: Hipwood, Mcarthy, Cameron, Mcstay, Robinson, Rayner
Port adelaide: Gray, Ryder, Ebert, Motlop, Rozee, Westhoff, Dixon
Essendon: AMT, Daniher, Baguley, Fantasia, Stringer, Brown,

once again, compared to past prime roughy, out of form gunston, breust, wingard, mitch lewis, and puopolo we lack genuine marking options compared to the most potent forward lines in the competition.

Ill add
St Kilda: Gresham, Lonie, Kent, Bruce, Membrey, Parker
Brisbane: Hipwood, Mcarthy, Cameron, Mcstay, Robinson, Rayner
Port adelaide: Gray, Ryder, Ebert, Motlop, Rozee, Westhoff, Dixon
Essendon: AMT, Daniher, Baguley, Fantasia, Stringer, Brown,

once again, compared to past prime roughy, out of form gunston, breust, wingard, mitch lewis, and puopolo we lack genuine marking options compared to the most potent forward lines in the competition.
I'm not at all disagreeing, but strangely enough we're #2 in the AFL for contested marks with 83. (Carlton 87)

Would be about a third sicily, fair few for impey, stratts, scrimshaw, henderson and the rest probably big boy.
Compare that with Carlton, who have McKay who clunks everything - and he's a forward :( Intercept marks are awesome and prevent goals, but contested marks in the forward line are the real gold!

Compare that with Carlton, who have McKay who clunks everything - and he's a forward :( Intercept marks are awesome and prevent goals, but contested marks in the forward line are the real gold!
Working well for Carlton, isn’t it ;)

They scored a very large percentage of goals from stoppages. Once the stoppage wins dried up so did the marks up forward.

Working well for Carlton, isn’t it ;) They scored a very large percentage of goals from stoppages. Once the stoppage wins dried up so did the marks up forward.

Take your point, but McKay's hands are like vices, and at only 22 he has probably taken more contested marks than O'Brien, Schoenmakers, Lewis, and Nash combined.

Carlton don't need much to click to have an extremely exciting list... they need to learn to win and build the culture that goes with that, but when they do they have some great players. That said I'd take our past success over their future potential!

Take your point, but McKay's hands are like vices, and at only 22 he has probably taken more contested marks than O'Brien, Schoenmakers, Lewis, and Nash combined.

Carlton don't need much to click to have an extremely exciting list... they need to learn to win and build the culture that goes with that, but when they do they have some great players. That said I'd take our past success over their future potential!

How long is it since fev and whitnall were pronounced the next big thing though?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back