No Oppo Supporters General AFL and other clubs discussion thread. **Opposition fans not welcome** Part 4

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Its not bloody homophobia. Enough of the bs propaganda. It is a differing moral viewpoint. If people don't believe in God and by extension the premise of going to Heaven or Hell why get your knickers in a twist? God loves the person hates sin, that the premise. No Christian hates gay people, they fear what will happen to them and others who lead sinful lives according, to the Bible. Any other representation is rubbish (disclaimer if you only take notice of complete religious nutters then you have chosen to accept a distorted view). FWIW there were a lot more people represented on Folaus list than gays but lets conveniently gloss over that to allow the 'homophobic' rhetoric to continue unabated.

Westboro Baptist Church probably disagree with you on that one.

Ha ha yeah. Thats the nutter group/distorted view I was referring too.

Plenty of hate directed towards gay people from Christian folk outside of these groups too. From other religions and atheists too. The blanket statement that 'No Christian hates gay people' is a tad silly. There are many who don't, I'm sure - I include myself in that number - but there are still plenty who do.

thinking being gay is a sin is homophobic because it is making it a choice like drinking, gambling or cheating on your partner, not to mention saying that it is the wrong choice

and unlike drinking or gambling or cheating it isn't a choice, something that people arguing in defence of Folau and Ablett seem to be missing (on purpose or otherwise)
Totally get your point. My issue is people need to be more aware of the biblical teaching rather than just pigeonholing this group of people based on basically zero knowledge. It is very far removed from the faith of hatred that it is being represented as. Imo nature and nurture is far from settled. I have experiences in my life where the both could be argued to be true and some cases where it is very much a choice.

I work with a lesbian who finds the idea of being with a man sickening. We had a laugh as I am the opposite. Does that make me homophobic? Some would probably say yes. Anyway it was refreshing to be bluntly honest with each other, without being labelled one way or the other.

Sorry to derail the thread. Have tried to stay out of it till now.

Totally get your point. My issue is people need to be more aware of the biblical teaching rather than just pigeonholing this group of people based on basically zero knowledge. It is very far removed from the faith of hatred that it is being represented as. Imo nature and nurture is far from settled. I have experiences in my life where the both could be argued to be true and some cases where it is very much a choice.

I work with a lesbian who finds the idea of being with a man sickening. We had a laugh as I am the opposite. Does that make me homophobic? Some would probably say yes. Anyway it was refreshing to be bluntly honest with each other, without being labelled one way or the other.

Sorry to derail the thread. Have tried to stay out of it till now.
Biblical teachings currently mean less than how the organizations and their members act
There are plenty of views in the bible that are outdated for modern society and have been cast aside. There are others that have been retained, there are others that have been misinterpreted and presented as fact.

Not being attracted to men doesn't make you homophobic, having a negative attitude to men that are would count though.

Saying all religious people are homophobic is in the same boat as saying none are. While I think the attitude of the average christian towards the LGBTQI community is improving (just like the wider community in this country) that doesn't mean that the institution is moving at the same pace.

And with most things the vocal negative get the attention over the quiet positive.

Its not bloody homophobia. Enough of the bs propaganda. It is a differing moral viewpoint. If people don't believe in God and by extension the premise of going to Heaven or Hell why get your knickers in a twist? God loves the person hates sin, that the premise. No Christian hates gay people, they fear what will happen to them and others who lead sinful lives according, to the Bible. Any other representation is rubbish (disclaimer if you only take notice of complete religious nutters then you have chosen to accept a distorted view). FWIW there were a lot more people represented on Folaus list than gays but lets conveniently gloss over that to allow the 'homophobic' rhetoric to continue unabated.

All the other sinners on the list could be described as lifestyle choices and changeable. Homosexuality is recognised as not being a choice, therefore to describe the sexual acts of homosexuality as a sin is unfair and discriminatory. I do note that eating shellfish is also an abomination and mentioned in a the same section of the christian religious text; it may not be such a sin. The Church et al the major religions have been interfering in peoples bedrooms since inception, they just can't help themselves. It is time religious organisations recognised that their views on this issue are no longer relevant, it is time they caught up with reality. They eventually came round on things like slavery, the earth not being flat and the earth revolving around the sun rather than the opposite.

Ablett got the same MRP result as Cousins.

1 appealed; the other didn't.

Having said that, Hawthorn's lawyers at the tribunal are embarrassingly bad. Geelong's lawyers used the good citizen motive to subconsciously change the adjudicators minds, whereas the Hawthon's lawyers go the 'yeah he's a criminal, but we think you should be nicer' motive. Rarely, if ever, works.

Christians don't hate gays that is an ignorant comment. At least get informed before trotting out media propaganda.

What are you on about, surely you're not going with the 'we don't hate the sinner, but hate the sin,' nonsense?

Some christians clearly hate homosexuals. That's undeniable.

Edit: I see you are suggesting such a thing. What a condescending thought it is when you think about it.

Pray tell why your god would hate the sin when he himself allegedly created all evil (he says so himself).

And surely an omnipotent and all-knowing god would know that homosexuality isn't a choice, as the clearly ignorant teaching of the bible claim? Surely he knows that since he supposedly created everyone, and thus created them to have those feelings. They have no choice in the matter, which makes those 'teachings' hateful, and should render them redundant. We know better now.

If you think about this for more than 5 seconds you see how truly ridiculous it is. And to say they hate the sin but not the sinner suggests to me that they haven't thought about it.

Last edited:
What are you on about, surely you're not going with the 'we don't hate the sinner, but hate the sin,' nonsense?

Some christians clearly hate homosexuals. That's undeniable.

Edit: I see you are suggesting such a thing. What a condescending thought it is when you think about it.

Pray tell why your god would hate the sin when he himself allegedly created all evil (he says so himself).

And surely an omnipotent and all-knowing god would know that homosexuality isn't a choice, as the clearly ignorant teaching of the bible claim? Surely he knows that since he supposedly created everyone, and thus created them to have those feelings. They have no choice in the matter, which makes those 'teachings' hateful, and should render them redundant. We know better now.

If you think about this for more than 5 seconds you see how truly ridiculous it is. And to say they hate the sin but not the sinner suggests to me that they haven't thought about it.
Glad you have formed a picture of me and what I believe accept in two posts. You are a genius. FWIW I think this synposis is very good.

http://www.matthewvines.com/transcript/

(Log in to remove this ad.)

All the other sinners on the list could be described as lifestyle choices and changeable. Homosexuality is recognised as not being a choice, therefore to describe the sexual acts of homosexuality as a sin is unfair and discriminatory. I do note that eating shellfish is also an abomination and mentioned in a the same section of the christian religious text; it may not be such a sin. The Church et al the major religions have been interfering in peoples bedrooms since inception, they just can't help themselves. It is time religious organisations recognised that their views on this issue are no longer relevant, it is time they caught up with reality. They eventually came round on things like slavery, the earth not being flat and the earth revolving around the sun rather than the opposite.
Spot on in regards to those other sins.

If Falau had also pointed out that the following people (amongst many others) will go to hell then I would not think he was being homophobic.
  • men with trimmed beards
  • people wearing clothes made of two fibres
  • menstruating women (and cripples) who approach the altar
  • women who get r*ped in the city and don't cry out loud enough
  • anyone who covets their neighbour's slave
  • etc, etc, etc,
It's the fact that he's cherry picked homosexuality and a few other sins from amongst the hundreds available that make me lean toward judging him as a homophobe.

But that's really not the real issue, is it? He freely entered a binding contract worth millions of dollars and promised not to do the sort of thing he just did. If his Christian beliefs were truly that strong then he was free to exercise his religious freedom and refrain from signing.

It's a workplace issue, not freedom of religion.

Last edited:
Ablett got the same MRP result as Cousins.

1 appealed; the other didn't.

Having said that, Hawthorn's lawyers at the tribunal are embarrassingly bad. Geelong's lawyers used the good citizen motive to subconsciously change the adjudicators minds, whereas the Hawthon's lawyers go the 'yeah he's a criminal, but we think you should be nicer' motive. Rarely, if ever, works.

The Hawks send lawyers???

1557378011852.png

Must be a quiet week in AFL news if some media folks (ok, Wayne Carey) are trying to make claims about the best quality underperforming team in AFL history. Is that even a "thing"?

First paragraph from his article in the Age today...

"Essendon haven’t beaten Sydney away from home since 2009. If they don’t break that drought on Friday night, you can put a line through them as a contender and maybe write off September all together. But while the Bombers should get the job done, the Swans might just be the best 1-6 side in AFL history - if you don’t count the team that played finals two years ago, after being winless through six rounds."

After bagging out the Hawks trading and claiming Carlton are closer to flag that we are (last week), he then argues that Sydney will bounce back quickly despite their current poor performances. At least he admits having The Academy is an advantage to the Swannies, so gotta give him some points for that. Also discusses the merits of a Franklin trade out.

To be fair to the King - here is link to full article:

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl...ontemplate-a-buddy-trade-20190509-p51lks.html

Must be a quiet week in AFL news if some media folks (ok, Wayne Carey) are trying to make claims about the best quality underperforming team in AFL history. Is that even a "thing"?

First paragraph from his article in the Age today...

"Essendon haven’t beaten Sydney away from home since 2009. If they don’t break that drought on Friday night, you can put a line through them as a contender and maybe write off September all together. But while the Bombers should get the job done, the Swans might just be the best 1-6 side in AFL history - if you don’t count the team that played finals two years ago, after being winless through six rounds."

After bagging out the Hawks trading and claiming Carlton are closer to flag that we are (last week), he then argues that Sydney will bounce back quickly despite their current poor performances. At least he admits having The Academy is an advantage to the Swannies, so gotta give him some points for that. Also discusses the merits of a Franklin trade out.

To be fair to the King - here is link to full article:

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl...ontemplate-a-buddy-trade-20190509-p51lks.html

I laughed out loud when I read that today. Best 1-6 side in AFL history. Duck's analysis of the game quite often back up the fact that he's the kind of bright spark who tries to cover glassing a woman by saying he was performing a party trick.

I laughed out loud when I read that today. Best 1-6 side in AFL history. Duck's analysis of the game quite often back up the fact that he's the kind of bright spark who tries to cover glassing a woman by saying he was performing a party trick.
I thought it was a nothing story. How do people do this for a living, write shit in the media and get paid for it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back