No Oppo Supporters General AFL and other clubs discussion thread. **Opposition fans not welcome** Part 7

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cliff should be here for them by then.

i-can-see-clearly-now-the-rain-is-gone-jimmy-cliff.gif

While I really rate Daicos and I would of loved Newk to win it, I believe Sam De Koning is ahead of both.

Has a far more difficult role to play than either of them.

He won’t of course, the media has talked Daicos up that much that judges will no longer be hearing anyone else’s name

Sadly I think Geelong may go all the way this year, other teams look very weak.

Yep, I've been saying this for about 6 weeks now. Have a look at the top 6. Melbourne are going to need to lift to get anywhere near 2021 form. Brisbane and Fremantle aren't consistent enough, and Collingwood and Carlton are next. If Geelong don't win this year they should nail the club shut and go surfing.

Last edited:
Ii know our threads have a degree of meltdowns when we have a bad loss but those guys in Richmond thread go to next level.
It is actually quite a nasty unpleasant place over there when they lose. I need a shower after reading some of their stuff lol.

On SM-G950F using BigFooty.com mobile app
Yeah. Went there for some LOLs. Wow….they are real mad!!!

Finals, and grand finals are still few weeks away. How exciting it is that everything is still undecided.

This year competition is really about survival of the fittest, mentally and physically.

Imagine if teams losing several players due to covid protocol during finals, will they lie and let them play?

Cliff should be here for them by then.
Their small ground and bigger bodies have given them an advantage through every winter in the past decade. And the pattern has been that they tend to falter at some point in august and struggle with the quicker and larger decks they encounter in September. Is there a reason to think things will be different this year?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

While I really rate Daicos and I would of loved Newk to win it, I believe Sam De Koning is ahead of both.

Has a far more difficult role to play than either of them.

He won’t of course, the media has talked Daicos up that much that judges will no longer be hearing anyone else’s name
Intetesting I think he has the easier role .
Plays in the strongest team and most experienced side. Also been in the AFL system the longest.

He probably ( bar Dees at there best ) see's the least quality entries into 50.
He is a gun but its a good spot to be as a young defender, rather than say in a bottom 6 side .

Their small ground and bigger bodies have given them an advantage through every winter in the past decade. And the pattern has been that they tend to falter at some point in august and struggle with the quicker and larger decks they encounter in September. Is there a reason to think things will be different this year?

Death
Taxes
Geelong crashing out of the finals

It’s a different season. If previous seasons were the relevant measure, we could engrave Richmond on the cup, but they’re not relevant this year.

In any event I hardly think the bigger ground is what got them in 2020. They made the grand final, were in front at half time and then encountered one of the great individual performances from Dusty which is what got them

As it stands Geelong will very probably finish top 2. Other sides - especially Melbourne - have superior talent but Geelong is the sort of side that won’t beat itself. It will finish high enough to get a rail run to the grand final so they are as good a chance as any bar maybe Melbourne to win it.

It’s not the strongest field. I’m still backing Melbourne but Geelong look the best challenger

Last edited:
Daicos had one of the strangest stat lines I've seen recently. Nothing I'm about to say here is a criticism about the kid because truly, a 40 disposal and 3 goal outing is ridiculous especially for a first year player, but the combination of that level of accumulation and 750m gained he still only had 1 score involvement on top of the goals he kicked. So discounting the goals, 37 touches for 1 score involvement. It's almost beyond belief that he could have been involved in so few genuinely productive passages of play.

I watched the game, I certainly thought he had impact on more scoring passages than that.

Daicos is the youngest player to ever get 40 disposals and kick 3 goals in a game. He was clear BOG. Not sure digging into stats to nitpick is of much value.

If he continues his form line for the rest of the year he will win Collingwood’s B&F.

Last edited:
Daicos is the youngest player to ever get 40 disposals and kick 3 goals in a game. He was clear BOG. Not sure digging into stats to nitpick is of much value.

If he continues his form line for the rest of the year he will win Collingwood’s B&F.
Did you read the post? I said it wasn't a criticism and watching his game seemed like he was involved more than the stats suggested.

Its staggering noone has put any defensive role on him yet . Maybe waiting for finals ?

He is such a polished ball user yet Adelaide played him on a 10m leg rope and get punished accordingly

Daicos had one of the strangest stat lines I've seen recently. Nothing I'm about to say here is a criticism about the kid because truly, a 40 disposal and 3 goal outing is ridiculous especially for a first year player, but the combination of that level of accumulation and 750m gained he still only had 1 score involvement on top of the goals he kicked. So discounting the goals, 37 touches for 1 score involvement. It's almost beyond belief that he could have been involved in so few genuinely productive passages of play.

I watched the game, I certainly thought he had impact on more scoring passages than that.
I just watched his possessions on The AFL app. It’s definitely crazy that he only had 4 score involvements. He definitely had a few nothing plays, but he also had a lot of disposals that put his teammates into the clear and really should have been goals/scores.

The weather almost certainly played a part and I think he had 3 or so his kicks dropped under no pressure. But a lot of it appeared to be the other pies players being unable to make the most of the opportunities he’s creating.

His contested game is a work in progress but his kicking is seriously good.

You never want to be playing your best footy in July though.
They have won 8 in a row haven't they?. Been up for a long time at a sustained high level. Still think when it comes to the finals the other contenders will raise their level to match them. If Geelong have another gear to go to good luck to them but I have my doubts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back