No Oppo Supporters General AFL discussion and other club news

Remove this Banner Ad

I've always said that only the gods stopped us 4peating.

Four peat should have started in 2012. That was the one that got away.
I actually have something interesting to share regarding this. Someone from inside the club involved in the extended coaching/recruiting group, told this to a member of my immediate family that knows him reasonably well.

The clubs view was that after the 2012 GF we were spent and that was our one chance. The proceeding years we didn't think we were a decent shot to win one, let alone three.

To add to that, a few people in the club was absolutely filthy with Sam during that off season after in the third? quarter where he gave away the 50 as that was pinned the real turning point of the game.

I know looking back on it that seems crazy, but I guess this was after heartbreak in a prelim followed by heartbreak in a GF, both games we should have won. I think we forget how much 2011 and 2012 hurt.

I actually have something interesting to share regarding this. Someone from inside the club involved in the extended coaching/recruiting group, told this to a member of my immediate family that knows him reasonably well.

The clubs view was that after the 2012 GF we were spent and that was our one chance. The proceeding years we didn't think we were a decent shot to win one, let alone three.

To add to that, a few people in the club was absolutely filthy with Sam during that off season after in the third? quarter where he gave away the 50 as that was pinned the real turning point of the game.

I know looking back on it that seems crazy, but I guess this was after heartbreak in a prelim followed by heartbreak in a GF, both games we should have won. I think we forget how much 2011 and 2012 hurt.
Losing 2012 GF was the catalyst of the 3peat

Finlayson is a good ordinary player but Charlie is cooked.
Port super impressive with their pressure game but I still feel they have a bit of a soft underbelly when put under the pump themselves, plus their forward line is essentially just serviceable.
It's their midfield that drives them.
I think Finlayson has been excellent for Port this year playing his dual role in the ruck and up forward. Particularly given the personal circumstances he's been very impressive.

Imagine if we played them now with our current form🙏
Our mids will be past them with a bullet by next season if not already .
Cats forwards though will win them games , very effecient .

Got told a month out of season that a good chunk of their players didnt exactly return in showroom nick . Recruits were way behind expected fitness levels.
Think thats playing out .

Losing 2012 GF was the catalyst of the 3peat

Yep I've said to others we win 2012 I don't think we win another. That and the 2011 Prelim really lit a fire under a few of our leaders that carried us through. That bit in the book where Rough tells Clarko after winning 2013 we're not done comes from those losses.

was that the 50 where the recipient of the free ran backwards as Sam threw it to him, thus making it land on the ground and bounce away? Or is that another one I'm remembering?

Coz if that's the one, I struggle to see how anyone blames Sam for that - other than running up and handing the ball to him, what could he do (and he'd prob get 50 for time-wasting doing that anyway)?

Filthy cheating Swans.

was that the 50 where the recipient of the free ran backwards as Sam threw it to him, thus making it land on the ground and bounce away? Or is that another one I'm remembering?

Coz if that's the one, I struggle to see how anyone blames Sam for that - other than running up and handing the ball to him, what could he do (and he'd prob get 50 for time-wasting doing that anyway)?

Filthy cheating Swans.

That's the one.
It was technically still 50 as it was a really high throw (was the year they cracked fown on the high throws to delay the game)
It was exasperated by the swans player refusing to actually get the ball. The moment it left Sam's hand, the swans player appealed for 50

Our mids will be past them with a bullet by next season if not already .
Cats forwards though will win them games , very effecient .

Got told a month out of season that a good chunk of their players didnt exactly return in showroom nick . Recruits were way behind expected fitness levels.
Think thats playing out .
Bruhn is one at least. Was fairly obvious he wasn’t fit enough at GWS.

Even now can barely play 60% game time when playing in the middle. Only hit 70% twice and that’s been lately not early on.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Filthy cheating Swans.
It was def 50m. It was incredibly arrogant from Sam in a GF.

Tanner Bruhn is an extraordinarily limited player. Said over trade period that they'd given up far too much, and that their trade period would not look so golden in hindsight.

I know points are a pretty useless tool for anything besides bidding and matching, but Geelong gave up at least Pick 9 in points (38, 48, 55 and a future 2nd) for Pick 25 which was used to trade for him.

Contrast to "Sleepy Mark" and his terrible trade period.
It’s kinda funny the shit that ‘sleepy mark’ copped for trade & draft period.

Some posters really went hard at him for not going hard enough at Bruhn & Bowes.

Seems ‘Sleepy Mark’ was more awake than the ‘Docile Posters’

A nice little rant on their board about Bowes.

"He is the highest payed spud in our history". :D:D:D
In hindsight how lucky was Bowes to be part of that salary dump/draft trade.

Just by luck and timing a very ordinary footballer has landed himself a very lucrative 4 year deal. Will be the highest paid VFL player in the league for the next 4 years.

Blows my mind sometimes how amueturish AFL list management is at times when these kind of deals get done. What are they smoking in their offices when a player like Bowes ends up with this kind of deal?

Bullet dodged.

Imagine if we gave away the chance to grab Weddle to land Bruhn.

Watching Bruhn this year I am just glad in general we didn't land him especially considering how well our midfield is going. He wouldn't get a look in and he is extremely average plus so slow.

However you are right, we wouldn't have landed Weddle if we got Bruhn and that is a very scary thought indeed.

One comment that I love on the cats board was someone claiming that Rohan was BOG for them. After his first quarter he had 7 disposals, no score, didn't even touch it in the third and layed 0 tackles for the game (when he's a pressure player).

They are genuinely cooked when people think he was BOG for them.

Geelong skipper Patrick Dangerfield has suffered a partially collapsed lung and cracked rib after copping a heavy knock during the Cats’ 38-point loss to Port Adelaide on Thursday night.

Bye bye handbaggers aleady gone season

Couldn't have happened to a nicer bloke

Remove this Banner Ad

No Oppo Supporters General AFL discussion and other club news

Remove this Banner Ad

Back