No Oppo Supporters General AFL discussion and other club news

Remove this Banner Ad

So you read that one article and decided that was it for the research? There was also this article which was easily locatable via a Google search.

You could also easily find her LinkedIn profile which demonstrates her experience in the game.

Or you could just dismiss her promotion as a 'perception' hire because she happens to be a woman and diminish her on that basis.

I would love it if it just once a woman could be appointed to something and there not be the accusations of it being done for 'perception' or 'PR' or whichever little catchphrase people want to tie up 'she's a woman and couldn't possibly have gotten the job on merit'.

Edit: I shouldn't automatically presume your intentions - and you may have just been attacking the AFL PR machine which is fair enough, so apologies if that was more your point. Just get tired of women being appointed to things and it being howled down by the usual suspects who act as though a woman could never obtain something on merit when I have worked with so many bloody brilliant women in my time and the ratio of women to men I would vouch for in my industry would be around 2:1.

EDIT: I deleted a biting response after reading Yardie’s comment. Good work, Yardie . Spot on.

I am attacking the PR machine. But I’m also attacking it from an angle you don’t appear to approve of - a person’s qualifications (who happens to be a woman). I would like to note that I never once dismissed her for being a woman as relevant. Neither will I. What I dismissed is the AFL puffing that her experience as a 14-year-old wanting a kick is what made her good for the job

As to the article you site. I didn’t read it initially but have since. And it makes no difference. Perhaps you read another article in response that could be illuminating?

The article says, repeatedly, that she worked in the industry for 10 years. That’s it. What’s her notable accomplishment that will transform competition? They go unmentioned (but they highlight again that she’s been employed in the industry for 10 years). What competitive agenda does she bring to the AFL from managing North’s protracted and steady decline over the previous ten years? Perhaps Dodoro should be appointed to an AFL position regarding drafting excellence in the league as he twice as qualified, having managed Essendon’s 20-year straight line decline from the Baby Bombers to a helpless rabble.

I find her as unimpressive as every other flack hired into the AFL. And the fact that in two article published by the AFL on her arrival, they cannot spare even one sentence to expand on her priorities in the role is a damning indictment on the organisation and her, I reckon.

Because a PR piece (or a couple) doesn't list the person's accomplishments that got them the job doesn't mean they don't exist. Whenever I have been promoted to new positions I haven't had to go tell my peers or direct reports my career history and achievements and justify to them at large why I got the job in the first place. I have never had new bosses do that also - and if I had an initial meeting with someone and they were just telling me how good they were I would think they were a boastful flog.

I would agree that there is an indictment on the PR machine - but I am really not holding her responsible for the failings of the AFL spin merchants. I am sure when our new CEO is eventually appointed we also won't get a line by line item of their CV and every career achievement. We will get a bit of a blurb and we all move on.

Not appealing because they were already seen as having done their bit
simpsons-leonardo-nimoy.gif

This Maynard decision is bullsh!t when you compare it to other accidental hits.

Barry Hall's accidental hit on Staker,
Tony Lockett's accidental hit on Peter Caven,
Sicily's deliberate hit on Hugh McLuggage.

They all got weeks, how did Maynard get off?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A gymnast can jump and do a double twist, double somersault in the same time yet Maynard is frozen in time.
Righto!!

For the sake of footy the best decision is to move on.

A gymnast is trained to do that, a footy player isn’t. But clearly you know better than a biomechanical expert.

Feels like the afl has created some tension with the tribunal so they can be perceived as having done enough but then in the background get the outcome they want anyway.

They must think it operates enough at arms reach to provide some cover for future lawsuits, somehow I don’t think it will
Work like that.

Surprissed Maynard got off. Even a completely accidental unintentional KO should get a week just to get players thinking more about the impact of their actions.

Despite Maynard having no pre-determinatin to KO Brayshaw I reckon if the same situation happens on this weekend old mate Bruzzy will find a way not to destroy the opponent. There is 'some' control over the situation, but it's such a rare situation you can't expect instincts to be perfect.

Remove this Banner Ad

No Oppo Supporters General AFL discussion and other club news

Remove this Banner Ad

Back