No Oppo Supporters General AFL discussion and other club news

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I used to do a bit of ruck work back in the dim dark ages, and I much preferred the bounce. Not sure why, it just seemed to suit me more. However, there was margin for error back then, not so many goals resulting from centre clearances. As a spectator, I'd do away with the bounce completely. I think the way the game is played now we deserve a 50/50 contest at every centre contest.

I was the same. I was an undersized change ruckman with a strong vertical leap. There were more cues with the bounce to get my timing right I found. I'd start my runup as the umpire was walking in to the bounce. I found it much harder to build the energy and time an explosive leap for a throw up or in. I still enjoy going into the You tube archives and watching the likes of Don Scott or Peter Moore attack a centre bounce from a Michael Holding like runup.

Back to the AFL, but related, I think in hindsight the bounce has been circling the drain since they brought in the 10m circle. Modern ruckmen are all giants and there's now little difference between how they address a bounce and a throw up. Positioning, blocking, etc., followed by an unfathomable free kick about 20% of the time. Plus the 10m circle gave us a handy cue to measure "a bad bounce" leading the recalls we get now but never used to.

In my version of AFL-X, they wouldn't have a bounce or a throw up. Instead, a large air canon would be mounted somewhere on the member's wing and that would be used to fire a ball into the middle of the ground to resume play!

Last edited:

Josh Jenkins is doing his best to give Jono Brown a run for his money in the braindead takes stakes. Both probably an IQ test away from being put in an institution.

I'd give our defence a C, Midfield a B+ and our forward line a D.

Josh Jenkins is doing his best to give Jono Brown a run for his money in the braindead takes stakes. Both probably an IQ test away from being put in an institution.

Lol just someone who clearly just trying to provide content and I take it hasn’t watched many hawthorn games by those ratings. Imo I think your ratings are spot on.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This just makes me wonder what Teia Miles would think of this?

And that makes me :grinv1:

Perhaps I'm being overly optimistic but:

Midfield A (really young mid group, had some exceptional games, all players have significant growth left)
Defence B (really talented fleet of running smalls, key position stocks bar Sicily D)
Forward line D (no real scoring threats bar Lewis and an ageing Bruest)

We're raising the skill floor with a few acquisitions this trade period.

Perhaps I'm being overly optimistic but:

Midfield A (really young mid group, had some exceptional games, all players have significant growth left)
Defence B (really talented fleet of running smalls, key position stocks bar Sicily D)
Forward line D (no real scoring threats bar Lewis and an ageing Bruest)

We're raising the skill floor with a few acquisitions this trade period.
I would personally rate our midfield A for potential, but B based on the output thus far (which is exciting).

A player from a Melbourne-based finals team has tested positive to drugs late in the home and away season.
A urine sample taken from the player after a game in the weeks leading up to the AFL finals returned positive for a banned substance, believed to be cocaine.

Uh oh.

Uh oh.
They Pull Me Back In Al Pacino GIF by The Godfather

A player from a Melbourne-based finals team has tested positive to drugs late in the home and away season.
A urine sample taken from the player after a game in the weeks leading up to the AFL finals returned positive for a banned substance, believed to be cocaine.

Uh oh.
This better not be Ginni

So cocaine, pot and MDMA are banned substances by WADA. The more you know.

See - people think Ginnivan was silly to be doing ketamine but it's not a banned substance. Kid's a genius!

So cocaine, pot and MDMA are banned substances by WADA. The more you know.

See - people think Ginnivan was silly to be doing ketamine but it's not a banned substance. Kid's a genius!

I think at worst, Grand Final eve, Ginnivan backed horse number 5, race 7 for a win, but should have backed the place also.

Live and learn.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back