No Oppo Supporters General AFL discussion and other club news

Remove this Banner Ad

It actually makes sense.
It's ridiculous that all clubs care for is Premierships and once you win one you're part of the clubs history forever, but you have to play 100 games for your kid to follow in your footsteps.
While some player who never amounted to much at all, who plays 100 games at a club that achieves nothing, has their kid able to walk into the AFL club of their choice.
You are right the qualification criteria is not aligned to the intent and spirit of the rule. All I would add is to remove the discount make the clubs pay market value there is enough advantage simply being able to match the bid. Flags also key awards like Brownlow Coleman B&F should also be considered.

I don't think so. He's just a flog
I thought so too until I read his comments in context:

"I always said when you play in a premiership for a club you should fall under the father-son realm," he told media.

"Once that happens, you are forever connected to an organisation and I'm lucky that has happened at both clubs.

"...I still very much enjoy watching the old club (Hawthorn) run around and feel very proud to be a part of the Geelong footy club.”

I don't see that as being disrespectful to Hawthorn.

You are right the qualification criteria is not aligned to the intent and spirit of the rule. All I would add is to remove the discount make the clubs pay market value there is enough advantage simply being able to match the bid. Flags also key awards like Brownlow Coleman B&F should also be considered.
THIS and across the board (F/S, NGA, academies, etc). If you want to make it fair to all and equitable you pay market rates.

I thought so too until I read his comments in context:

"I always said when you play in a premiership for a club you should fall under the father-son realm," he told media.

"Once that happens, you are forever connected to an organisation and I'm lucky that has happened at both clubs.

"...I still very much enjoy watching the old club (Hawthorn) run around and feel very proud to be a part of the Geelong footy club.”

I don't see that as being disrespectful to Hawthorn.
I know what he said. It's a sore point having him cross to the cats. He didn't have to "chase success" as he'd had so much.

The afl will never allow father suns to be from grand finals because it would be a disaster for clubs without any living flags.

I would like premiership players that were captains, or vice captains and norm smiths to be in the father sons though they are club legends and deserve the option even if they don’t play over 100.

The afl will never allow father suns to be from grand finals because it would be a disaster for clubs without any living flags.

I would like premiership players that were captains, or vice captains and norm smiths to be in the father sons though they are club legends and deserve the option even if they don’t play over 100.
I'd be pretty surprised if there were any premiership captains that didn't play over 100 games for the club

Changing F/S eligibility to include those who played in premierships benefits us way more than it hurts us.

And it's a compounding benefit.

If this rule was already in place then we'd have had access to players like Noah Anderson and Ed Allen. Which significantly increases our changes of winning more premierships sooner, which if we did gives us a whole new generation of F/S picks. Rinse and repeat.

I know what he said. It's a sore point having him cross to the cats. He didn't have to "chase success" as he'd had so much.

A large part of the reason we won 4 premierships was because the players were nutjobs driven entirely by success.
Hodge, Mitchell, Franklin, Smith, Lewis etc all played on because it's in their nature to keep winning.

Watching Hodge play in different colours of course stung, but i realised quickly it's more important to appreciate the special moments they did give us.

Changing F/S eligibility to include those who played in premierships benefits us way more than it hurts us.

And it's a compounding benefit.

If this rule was already in place then we'd have had access to players like Noah Anderson and Ed Allen. Which significantly increases our changes of winning more premierships sooner, which if we did gives us a whole new generation of F/S picks. Rinse and repeat.
Meanwhile, freo, gc, gws and saints be like….
Sad Tears GIF by SpongeBob SquarePants

A large part of the reason we won 4 premierships was because the players were nutjobs driven entirely by success.
Hodge, Mitchell, Franklin, Smith, Lewis etc all played on because it's in their nature to keep winning.

Watching Hodge play in different colours of course stung, but i realised quickly it's more important to appreciate the special moments they did give us.
Don’t think Buddy was driven entirely by success do you?

Pretty sure his move to Sydney was due to a combination of heaps of coin and a GF (now wife) who wanted to live / work in the Emerald City

Pretty sure his move to Sydney was due to a combination of heaps of coin and a GF (now wife) who wanted to live / work in the Emerald City

Combination of family and success. If it was purely monetary he’d have ended up at GWS with phat ambassadorial cheques.

He also wanted to get out of the Melbourne footy bubble

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ah yes, why chase more success when you have had so much right? :think:
I can't fathom how people take issue with that.
Its his career and winning is a hell of a lot more fun than losing.

He had a bit of “baggage”

The scrutiny from living in Melbourne may have ended his career a bit earlier. The extra coin plus Sydney being a relatively successful club certainly helped.

Mind you he will most likely finish up a 2 time premiership player with hawthorn. So whether the move will be ultimately branded a success is open to interpretation.

Including criteria related to success being fair depend on equalisation measures actually working. For now including B&F winners wouldn’t advantage any club yet would be aligned to the intent
I think we should be cautious about expanding conditions too quickly without examining the effect on the system as a whole. There are something like 43 players in this draft pool which have some relation to a current or former player. If you make it even easier to recruit players with that family connection you could very well lower the diversity of players in the league.

He had a bit of “baggage”

The scrutiny from living in Melbourne may have ended his career a bit earlier. The extra coin plus Sydney being a relatively successful club certainly helped.

Mind you he will most likely finish up a 2 time premiership player with hawthorn. So whether the move will be ultimately branded a success is open to interpretation.

Wants a quieter life, sets markson on as agent, wife goes on daytime tv regularly talking about living in a bubble

Remove this Banner Ad

No Oppo Supporters General AFL discussion and other club news

Remove this Banner Ad

Back