No Oppo Supporters General AFL discussion and other club news

Remove this Banner Ad

Anyone else think the return of the 'chicken wing' tackle is going to be shortlived - as soon as there is an injury due to it, the tribunal will get involved - especially given the history with multi-match bans.
I know it is due to a recent change in rules, but personally I don't like the look.

Last edited:
We never want those campaigners to win.

We want them to lose and keep losing.

Them missing the 8 is a REAL possibility...

WE GOTTA STAY STRONG PEOPLE!
Their run home is pretty soft! They basically have 5 home games… and play the Swans in round 24, who will have put the cue in the rack.

The good news is we’ll get to see them lose a final and the streak will continue.

Anyone else think the return of the 'chicken wing' tackle is going to be shortlived - as soon as there is an injury due to it, the tribunal will get involved - especially given the history with multi-match bans.
I know it is due to a recent change in rules, but personally I don't like the look.
I think two things will happen:
1. Players will get better at dropping the ball onto their foot
2. AFL will continue to suspend players who don't tackle safely.

I reckon we'll get maybe one injury (or one star player rubbing their arm and grimacing) and then you're right, the tribunal will tee off

I think two things will happen:
1. Players will get better at dropping the ball onto their foot
2. AFL will continue to suspend players who don't tackle safely.

I reckon we'll get maybe one injury (or one star player rubbing their arm and grimacing) and then you're right, the tribunal will tee off
A suspension will have to happen if the AFL is serious about “duty of care”. There’s not much room for error if you’re trying to execute a chicken wing tackle every time. It won’t be long until someone gets twisted the wrong way and pops a shoulder…

Cyril got suspended for a chicken wing tackle back in the day. When the three brainiacs calling our game yesterday were praising Fremantle for their chicken wing tackles on Hawthorn players, it was the first thing I thought of. But the AFL has zero clue on how to manage the game so we'll see more and more tackles of this nature until someone gets badly injured.

Cyril got suspended for a chicken wing tackle back in the day. When the three brainiacs calling our game yesterday were praising Fremantle for their chicken wing tackles on Hawthorn players, it was the first thing I thought of. But the AFL has zero clue on how to manage the game so we'll see more and more tackles of this nature until someone gets badly injured.

It was in the Essendon game too. Mostly inside 50 arc

Were there any "chicken wing" tackles yesterday?

I know there was a lot of holding the wrist down by the hip but that's not an illegal tackle. The chicken wing is only when the wrist is pulled up behind the back (making the bent arm look like a chicken wing) putting a lot of pressure on the elbow and shoulder joints.

What tackling by the wrist can often lead to is sling tackles. The tackler will try to bring the player to ground while pulling down on the arm by the wrist and if the weight shifts to that side quickly then the player will get slung shoulder first into the ground and the head will often whiplash after.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I know it's poor form to shit on the departed who had a crack for us, but I'm relieved Kosi is frustrating another supporter base now. Such an 'almost' player. Hope it clicks for him, but I don't think it will.

The chicken wing tackle has been brought back by the AFLs lack of vision and needs to be outlawed it’s the most dangerous thing in our game for players to suffer long term ankle and knee injuries.

Was thinking the same thing - hate the look and when the first player gets his shoulder popped another rule will come in.

Gotta be juicing. Are they testing over there?
I'm always suspicious when AFL players stack on this much weight quickly. Aussie Rules is such a cardio heavy game. That said, he's coming off a pretty long term injury so time in the gym is what he'd be doing. Have a feeling he'll strip a lot of that off as he gets properly game ready.

Interestingly, we won by 13 on Saturday which was on 13 July.
The first goal of the game was kicked by Dylan Moore (number 13) and wouldn't you know it we end the round 13th on the ladder

Remove this Banner Ad

No Oppo Supporters General AFL discussion and other club news

Remove this Banner Ad

Back