No Oppo Supporters General AFL discussion and other club news

Remove this Banner Ad

I do remember an interview a few years ago with Sav Rocca after he played a couple of NFL seasons. He said NFL is a harder game to play, coach and requires much more athletic preparation than anything he saw at AFL level. I heard a similar interview with Ben Graham. This is from 2 afl vets who know both sports intimately.
Sav Rocca retired in 2007 and Ben Graham in 2005. A lot has changed in the 17+ years in the way players prepare themselves and the facilities available to them to allow them to do so.

Their opinions are relevant to when they played, not now.

Have the Hawks supporters really moved on after losing a very winnable match, and Kenny giving some well deserved lip back to some of your players? I suspect the loss is still a little raw and was a great opportunity missed, especially after the Swans shat the bed in the GF (again).
Who's this guy?

Sav Rocca retired in 2007 and Ben Graham in 2005. A lot has changed in the 17+ years in the way players prepare themselves and the facilities available to them to allow them to do so.

Their opinions are relevant to when they played, not now.

You’d think it’s like comparing sprint with long distance, with wrestling breaks

Cos they dropped the grandad FF. Methinks Koch is a little salty being out promoted

I pay no attention to Koch, he knows stuff all about football. He's just a media person who is there in a feeble attempt to lift the club's profile. He recently blamed the SANFL for the fact their reserves team finished bottom.

View attachment 2133228

Put it on the white board.

I said elsewhere that while comments like this tend to poke the bear, it is an absolute compliment to us that we would be mentioned at another club's best and fairest by their president. Gives insight into internal conversations, who they rate, and displays what they're worried about. GOOD JOB Hawks. We are living rent free in Kochy's head.

I said elsewhere that while comments like this tend to poke the bear, it is an absolute compliment to us that we would be mentioned at another club's best and fairest by their president. Gives insight into internal conversations, who they rate, and displays what they're worried about. GOOD JOB Hawks. We are living rent free in Kochy's head.
There's not much room in there. Hope the boys can stretch out a bit.

Agree to disagree. If you look back at the original post it was the "this is the hardest sport in the world to officiate" line which was thrown around by coaches and media which is 100% myopic imo. It's the same premise of AFL athleticism. Im not denigrating the capability of AFL athletes at all, its more where the level of athleticism in AFL compared to all global sports is rated. As someone said before, every person in every country has a different opinion on this and the main sport in each country will justify why their national sport has the best athletes.
I do remember an interview a few years ago with Sav Rocca after he played a couple of NFL seasons. He said NFL is a harder game to play, coach and requires much more athletic preparation than anything he saw at AFL level. I heard a similar interview with Ben Graham. This is from 2 afl vets who know both sports intimately.
There's a lot of preparation that goes in to major league sports that we don't see and we just assume through game play that it's not as difficult as AFL. Just annoys me when I hear "world's best or most difficult". Right up there with the Americans calling the NBA championship World Champions, world's most liveable city etc.
You're arguing a completely different thing.

From player to player, position to position, Australian rules footballers would be amongst the fittest and most well rounded sports people in the world. It's honestly beyond debate. What you're saying is similar to saying a triathlete isn't athletic because there are better runners, swimmers and cyclists.

The NFL is about specificity, in the AFL every player is pretty much a generalist. If you took an offensive tackle and asked them to play 25m quarters with limited stoppage time and run 12+ kilometres they'd be cramping and crashing out at quarter time. Pretty much any NFL player in any position would be.

I also would like to see where both of those players said that the game is harder, and more athletically demanding - because I can really only find Rocca talking about how hard it was to learn given that he knew nothing about it.

Collingwood is going for Gold with an aggressive strategy this season.

Assuming they can get Houston they will be set up for more silverware well into the future. In two years time, with Pendles, Sidebottom, Mitchell and Howe gone they will still have an incredible base of A graders, albeit with less promising youth than some of the opposition.

Daicos x 2
Houston
Perryman
Quaynor
Schultz
Hill
Moore
DeGoey
Maynard
Lipinski
McReeery
Dean
McGuane

That's 14 genuine All Stars! Scary, huh!

Assuming they can get Houston they will be set up for more silverware well into the future. In two years time, with Pendles, Sidebottom, Mitchell and Howe gone they will still have an incredible base of A graders, albeit with less promising youth than some of the opposition.

Daicos x 2
Houston
Perryman
Quaynor
Schultz
Hill
Moore
DeGoey
Maynard
Lipinski
McReeery
Dean
McGuane

Scary for them. Toes are on edge of the cliff.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Daicos x 2
Houston
Perryman
Quaynor
Schultz
Hill
Moore
DeGoey
Maynard
Lipinski
McReeery
Dean
McGuane

14 genuine all-stars? Made me laugh. The only all-stars there are Nick and Josh Daicos, Moore, De Goey, Maynard and Houston (McGuane will probably become one). Perryman, McCreery, Lipinski, Schultz, Hill, and Quaynor are all solid players without being the elite of the elite like we have at our disposal. Ethan Phillips showed more in one game than Dean. Our equivalent players are better than most of the players you've listed. Same at several other clubs. Collingwood's future success will be determined by recruiting, their lesser players standing up and playing their role, and the quality of Craig McRae's system.

Remove this Banner Ad

No Oppo Supporters General AFL discussion and other club news

Remove this Banner Ad

Back