No Oppo Supporters General AFL discussion and other club news

Remove this Banner Ad

lol “cool it a little on something that drastic”

The share is 500k between them, the club gets the remainder - so we aren’t talking huge amounts at the end of the day

And because it’s not a full-time profession, many hold down full-time jobs and take LWOP during the season and sustain a loss, and then some only work casually because they move interstate during the season, so it’s not without sacrifices and “toil”

Did I misread it? I thought I saw it $500k to each side. My mistake if that's not the case.

I still don't see the proposal as a realistic outcome however. The fact the girls might get $500k to share is quite a substantial prize for what is essentially a 5 month side hustle! Unlike the blokes it's only split between 30 players too, as opposed to 44.

Did I misread it? I thought I saw it $500k to each side. My mistake if that's not the case.

I still don't see the proposal as a realistic outcome however. The fact the girls might get $500k to share is quite a substantial prize for what is essentially a 5 month side hustle! Unlike the blokes it's only split between 30 players too, as opposed to 44.
Assuming we win, are we missing the bit where they're (the girls) the ones that actually earned/won it?

I'd be happy if they kept the lot ($500k) & shared only with the Club.

lol “cool it a little on something that drastic”

The share is 500k between them, the club gets the remainder - so we aren’t talking huge amounts at the end of the day

And because it’s not a full-time profession, many hold down full-time jobs and take LWOP during the season and sustain a loss, and then some only work casually because they move interstate during the season, so it’s not without sacrifices and “toil”
None of them work fulltime outside of footy any more. Minimum wage for the w is 75k.
I agree on everything else though

Exactly the point.

You take your hat off as a show of respect.

We’ve get people in here arguing that people don't deserve respect, that you are perfectly ok to act in a way that offends others, it’s there problem.
Your describing the anti woke to a tee. Every action has a consequence but apparently not to some people. There shouldn't be a consequence when your using "free speech and " freedom of expression" according to them. It's never been ok to laugh at crude and inappropriate jokes it's just that it's been accepted for so long that's all society knows. You can blame shows like the Footy Show that condoned all that stuff for decades. It's why Muppets like Sam Newman sook and complain these days because comments and actions are now being held to account and people of his ilk don't like it. Has nothing to do with being "Woke", that's the excuse people who only care about themselves use to justify it.

Assuming we win, are we missing the bit where they're (the girls) the ones that actually earned/won it?

I'd be happy if they kept the lot ($500k) & shared only with the Club.

If the boys had continued on the 0-5 form then it wouldn't matter how well the girls were going. Nobody would be getting a cent.

Both have put in the work to earn the shared prize.

If the boys had continued on the 0-5 form then it wouldn't matter how well the girls were going. Nobody would be getting a cent.

Both have put in the work to earn the shared prize.
If its a shared prize (contributed by the results of both teams) then that's a different story.

I've not been tracking it - figured it was prize money from AFLW.

I think you’re missing my point. It’s Rohan Connelly being offended by the treatment of the 2 ladies on twitter which I agree is not acceptable behaviour but then telling peta credlin to **** right off. Which regardless of her politics is equally not acceptable. But we’ve got people defending it.

So I asked when can I and when can’t I. Should’ve been in orange font.
Credlin has a history of insulting minorities and also women. Not sure Meadows and Edwards do that's the point. Fair game if your partaking in your own rubbish and cop some back in return. All Edwards and Meadows were doing is telling people it's not ok and copping abuse for it. People don't like being held to account for their actions.

I love what AFLW can do for the future of the game, but I think we could probably cool it a little on something that drastic.

They're paid a tenth of the men's side because it isn't a full time professional league and doesn't really bring in its own revenue.

The girls have done an amazing job to get to the top of the ladder, but I'm not quite sure it's worth $1m in prize money to be shared between them at the expense of the boys who toiled away from March through to September to set up the position at claiming it.

The bigger win here is that it's already shared evenly! I was actually somewhat surprised to read that it was.
If equality of pay is good enough for the Matilda’s / Socceroos and US Soccer National Teams, then I think in this instance an even split is completely appropriate.

Having said that, our AFLW Hawks have won 8 and lost 1, with Richmond to come. Win that and it’s 90% of their games won.

The men only went 14W / 9L, at 60.8%

So if we end up with 23 wins and 10 losses as a senior club, the men are responsible for 90% of the losses.

If the women had performed at the same level as the men it would have resulted in an improved 6W / 4L season but we would have missed the Trophy comfortably.

So if they knock off the Tigers and top the table, I think the women have every right to claim it’s their highly successful season / program which was key to Hawthorn being awarded the McClelland Trophy and getting that $1m bonus to the club.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

75k is a decent minimum wage tbh for 5 months of the year.

Divided by 74 players it’s only $6700 per player. A nice holiday for everyone at the club paid for really.
It’s actually 6 months of straight footy. Whilst working a job and/or studying on the side.

Playing AFLW is not a “side hustle”. That’s pretty disrespectful.

It’s actually a lot harder to juggle the 25 hrs they commit to footy and having to work to pay bills than being paid $250k - $800k / year simply for playing footy for maybe another 5 hrs a week across 10 months.

Remove this Banner Ad

No Oppo Supporters General AFL discussion and other club news

Remove this Banner Ad

Back