General MFC Discussion 2.0

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Big get. Are there any issues around him that PA fans were worried about?

His mantra was that the players can run a lot more than conventional wisdom suggests. So your boys are in for a punishing pre-season.

The first 2 years 13/14 he was (back) at Port we seemed to have a fitness edge but then we fell off a cliff. A lot of supporters feel he overdid it as we seemed to lose the ability to run out games in 2015 and beyond. I am not sure though. He has a good rep.

Big get. Are there any issues around him that PA fans were worried about?
Expect short-term gains in 2020-2021, not sure there would be much improvement after that. Has the philosophy that players don't know how much pain they can endure. Seems obsessed with making everyone in to ultra-endurance athletes compromising strength.

We appointed his deputy with his program still in place. It hasn't exactly seemed an inspired program.

Was also at Port from 2005-2007(gulp). Maybe third time will be the charm ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Expect short-term gains in 2020-2021, not sure there would be much improvement after that. Has the philosophy that players don't know how much pain they can endure. Seems obsessed with making everyone in to ultra-endurance athletes compromising strength.

We appointed his deputy with his program still in place. It hasn't exactly seemed an inspired program.

Was also at Port from 2005-2007(gulp). Maybe third time will be the charm ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I can’t remember how Port did in 2005 and 2006 but obviously made the now infamous Granny in 2007. Getting to a GF is no mean feat despite the result. Add in a semi final in 2013 and a nail biting prelim in 2014.

So one grand final, one prelim and one semi in 5 years is pretty good. If we repeat the efforts of Port in 2013/14 then I’ll consider that a win. They could have won a flag in 2014 if Andrew Moore had kicked it a little more to the right.

We arguably have a two year window to win a flag anyway with Gawn approaching his late 20s and May/McDonald/Viney/Salem etc all entering or in prime years now and a dearth of teenagers on the list.

Burgess was at Port half a decade ago and has since led Liverpool back to being one of the best clubs in Europe. Wouldn't worry too much about his rep at Port, I'm sure he's learned a lot since then.

Burgess was at Port half a decade ago and has since led Liverpool back to being one of the best clubs in Europe. Wouldn't worry too much about his rep at Port, I'm sure he's learned a lot since then.
But how have Arsenal - who he was actually working for - gone?

I’ve been thinking about 2020 a lot recently and whether we will improve.

The case for:
Easier draw
Burgess in place of Misson
A defence spearheaded by May with Lever, Jetta, Frost, Hibberd, Hore and Salem surrounding him.
Max Gawn yet to turn 30.
Possible inclusions of vandenBerg (Finals 2018 MVP) and Joel Smith (exciting in pre season)
Tom McDonald back to full fitness and form at FF.
Brayshaw and Oliver to surely improve on 2019 form.

The case against:
5 wins this year. 3 of those wins were extremely lucky (Hawks, Suns, Carlton) and 2 were just ok (Fremantle and Sydney). NOT ONE convincing performance in nearly a whole season.
Most of our games next will be at the MCG, a ground we haven’t consistently played well at since Paul Roos was coach. In fact I’m going to guess we have a clear negative ratio at our own home ground since 2017.
Simon Goodwin yet to prove he’s either a good or bad coach. How does he counter the disadvantage 6-6-6 has brought his once great game plan of two coming off the back of the square?
Forward line looks weak on paper. Midfield still looks one paced.

I don’t think we’ll finish 17th again but it will be very interesting to see if it was 2018 or 2019 that was the anomaly.

How good is it for Burgess if we bounce back he looks like the reason why, if we continue being shit then its the list and not his fault. The bloke cant lose. Awesome get though just saying its a no brainer to take it on cant damage his rep

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Meanwhile, I enjoyed this line from the article on the club site

"After what was a rigorous interview process, the Demons appointed Burgess as the performance manager, convinced he will be best placed to take the club forward in the future."

I love the subtle use of language that implies the club interviewed Burgess for the position, rather than the other way round.

Meanwhile, I enjoyed this line from the article on the club site

"After what was a rigorous interview process, the Demons appointed Burgess as the performance manager, convinced he will be best placed to take the club forward in the future."

I love the subtle use of language that implies the club interviewed Burgess for the position, rather than the other way round.

Mahones playing hard to get

I was listening to RSN’s by the numbers podcast.

Interesting discussion on how teams score.

On average sides get 70 chances per game to score from turnovers and 35 from stoppages.

The last 12 premiers 11 have ranked top 3 for point differential from turnovers. The outlier being the dogs who ranked 5th in 2016.

On 360 kingy briefly discussed our drop off in scoring, we’ve gone from number 1 in the afl from scores from turnovers to ranked 17th

I have no idea on our turnover differential. Seeing as we are probably bottom 5 for scores for and top 5 for scores against I’m guessing it’s not looking good.

We also know we have very low post stoppage contested ball numbers, we aren’t a kick mark side either and we love to play on.

So this says to me this year, coupled with a poor pre season and a bad run of injuries Goody and co missed the boat on the way the game changed.

We developed a game plan heavily favoured to winning contest ball and scoring from stoppages.

Sides are kick/mark (less handball) the ball more to minimise turnovers and to set up stoppages. My thinking is it is fair easier to restrict scoring from a stoppage than a random turnover.

For anyone who cares;

We are 16th this year for points differential from turnovers, last year we were 2nd

For anyone who cares;

We are 16th this year for points differential from turnovers, last year we were 2nd
I was listening to a podcast with a champion data guy on it. He was saying something along the lines of in the last month we were number one or two for scoring from stoppages which was a big part of our game last year. But I believe we’re still down the bottom for that stat this year.

I was listening to a podcast with a champion data guy on it. He was saying something along the lines of in the last month we were number one or two for scoring from stoppages which was a big part of our game last year. But I believe we’re still down the bottom for that stat this year.

Points differential from stoppages we were number 4th last year and now ranked 17th

It doesn't matter how great Darren Burgess is, he is no match for what awaits him. Yeah, we'll Melbourne him - we'll Melbourne him real good...

*Two rounds into next season*

Mahoney: Yeah look, Darren just hurt his foot a bit watching the boys train and we expect him to be off legs for 4-6 weeks, but we'll just see how he goes.

*Three rounds later*

Mahoney: Yeah look, a few of the boys went to visit Darren in his recovery and Gawny did an ACL on the stairs. Oh and it looks like Darren will be bed-ridden for the rest of the season.

*Two rounds into next season*

Mahoney: Yeah look, Darren just hurt his foot a bit watching the boys train and we expect him to be off legs for 4-6 weeks, but we'll just see how he goes.

*Three rounds later*

Mahoney: Yeah look, a few of the boys went to visit Darren in his recovery and Gawny did an ACL on the stairs. Oh and it looks like Darren will be bed-ridden for the rest of the season.
“We’ve contracted Dave Misson to oversee Darren’s recovery, via Skype”

Never fear, we will go to the AFLPA if things get too tough.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back