General soreness and player management.

Remove this Banner Ad

mullumbimbyhawk

Debutant
Jul 14, 2008
Mullumbimby
AFL Club
Hawthorn
It used to be that a side would just have it's best side on the park each week and resting players against weaker opposition smacked of arrogance but it is now a very crucial aspect in having a successful year.

I feel with the exciting young players we have on our list in the seconds we have a great opportunity to get more game time into guys like Cheney,Wanganeen and Langford and keep our best side fresh for the rigors of a long season.

Which players would you rest more regularly? The obvious ones for me are Burgoyne, Hodge and Cyril.

It used to be that a side would just have it's best side on the park each week and resting players against weaker opposition smacked of arrogance but it is now a very crucial aspect in having a successful year.

I feel with the exciting young players we have on our list in the seconds we have a great opportunity to get more game time into guys like Cheney,Wanganeen and Langford and keep our best side fresh for the rigors of a long season.

Which players would you rest more regularly? The obvious ones for me are Burgoyne, Hodge and Cyril.
Sewell and possibly Lake.

Cyril doesn't need to be rested. I think we perhaps just need to cut our losses and stop playing him in the midfield except for in a tight one where we want the best chance of winning a clean clearance.

Sewell and possibly Lake.

Cyril doesn't need to be rested. I think we perhaps just need to cut our losses and stop playing him in the midfield except for in a tight one where we want the best chance of winning a clean clearance.
I thought Cyril looked good playing off the half back.
I agree.

FP/HF & HB for Cyril. As good as he can be on the ball, he doesn't win us games by doing that. His pressure, his skill & his explosive pace is what we (or anyone) can't replicate, not his midfield or ball-getting abilities. Rioli off HB is a ridiculous weapon, to the extent that the AFL would outlaw it via their equalisation policy - his rebound is that good.

I agree.

FP/HF & HB for Cyril. As good as he can be on the ball, he doesn't win us games by doing that. His pressure, his skill & his explosive pace is what we (or anyone) can't replicate, not his midfield or ball-getting abilities. Rioli off HB is a ridiculous weapon, to the extent that the AFL would outlaw it via their equalisation policy - his rebound is that good.
Reportedly he likes the HB role also. One of the guys said he liked it due to the lack of tag. But it wouldn't take too long until he got a forward tag.

It's been done

Against Melbourne in 2009
Kicked 4 or 5, won us the game (we only won by a couple of goals)

Can't recall it happening much more
happened against Freo at the MCG a few years back.

The reality is Cyril isn't as deadly in front of goal as his talent suggest he should be.

I like him off half back. He needs to learn the value of his disposal. He still shanks kicks and makes decision making errors but these tend to get overlooked more than other players because he is so creative and has won the ball the hard way.

I still think he needs a ball winning and ball usage education and this would happen up back as he would see any of his turnovers come back with interest.

He needs to learn the value of his disposal. He still shanks kicks and makes decision making errors but these tend to get overlooked more than other players because he is so creative and has won the ball the hard way.

I still think he needs a ball winning and ball usage education and this would happen up back as he would see any of his turnovers come back with interest.

I disagree, Cyril is one of our best decision makers. Cyril hardly ever takes the wrong option.

The only decision he sometimes makes which I don't agree with is not going for goal too much when he should take the shot himself. Dishes off to team mates in inferior positions sometimes.

Reportedly he likes the HB role also. One of the guys said he liked it due to the lack of tag. But it wouldn't take too long until he got a forward tag.
Would help free up Birch a bit too who seems to struggle when he has a hard forward tag on him at times - assuming clubs wouldn't be playing two forward tags* (freo the exception who will probably run with 18tags this year as it's easier to implement than trying to score more than 8goals in a game of footy :rolleyes:)

I agree with RB earlier. Put him at FF, clear everbody else out of the 50, kick towards him, and watch him run rings around his his defender kicking a dozen goals a game.

He would be forced to shoot for goal too.

Who would beat him him 1 on 1 in this situation?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Would help free up Birch a bit too who seems to struggle when he has a hard forward tag on him at times - assuming clubs wouldn't be playing two forward tags* (freo the exception who will probably run with 18tags this year as it's easier to implement than trying to score more than 8goals in a game of footy :rolleyes:)
Don't think Birchall will struggle with the tag as much this year. He'll just bump them (legally!) into the next round and have them hoping it's their BYE.

Remove this Banner Ad

General soreness and player management.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back