Gerard Whateley slams footy chat rooms

Remove this Banner Ad

I was actually going to start a thread about how many topics on BF forums magically appear in the H/Sun a day or two later.

To be fair, its an evolving thing that we are more able to adapt to the instantness of it. Its more when direct quotes or lines appear that make me laugh inside.

Or Barra starts a subject that has appeared , and in the exact same form, ie '' who is the better current FF''

To be fair, its an evolving thing that we are more able to adapt to the instantness of it. Its more when direct quotes or lines appear that make me laugh inside.

Or Barra starts a subject that has appeared , and in the exact same form, ie '' who is the better current FF''

Yeah its more the Daryl Timms type column that quotes little pieces or the Ando/Robbo thing that raises my eyebrows.
Who's Barra?

The guy is writing for the bloody addy.

I don't think they have ever had a decent footballer writer EVER!!

I still remember when Dylan Howard picked Jonathon Brown for the rising star and he wasn't even elligible.

Enough said.

Starting to happen in Adelaide and it seems to be driven by those who have the most to lose.

Instant news and opinions is the way of the future, what makes a ''journo'' any different from some of the more capable posters on here? A piece of paper? Its the thoughts and ideas that people appreciate, and yes even with all the dross and detritus there is some gold on BF, just as there is in the newspapers

Very true.

A Newbie with the name addyguy.

It's really you isn't it Gerard.

Trying to pump up your own stories.

Well if you are writing for the addy you have no journalistic credbility :thumbsdown:

Exposed Gerard! great follow up though tomorrow " How I was found out in a chat room"

The problem journos have with places like Big Footy is the anonymity.
We can say whatever we like and they can't.
We can name the three players done for drugs, and yes, it gets pulled, but they can't.
We can say categorically we know North are going to the Gold Coast, they can't.

When something big happens in the footy world, do we turn to the Geelong Addy dot com, or do we go to Bigfooty?
You don't need to answer, it's rhetorical, and Gerard knows the answer too.

They're slowly but surely being made irrelevant.

The only benefit from reading this was the quote from Earl Warren.
I have used that quote before, but didn't know who it was from.

Gerard Whateley, in this great article about the demise of sport, also slams footy chat rooms and the people who use them. Love to hear everyone's thoughts.

http://www.geelongadvertiser.com.au/article/2007/04/18/2975_geelong_sports.html

You seem to like Gerard Whateley.

http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/showthread.php?p=6993076#post6993076
addyguy said:
Check out Gerard Whateley's take on the whole Cousins saga. IMO he is a brilliant writer who has hit the nail on the head.

http://www.geelongadvertiser.com.au/...ng_sports.html

A Newbie with the name addyguy.

It's really you isn't it Gerard.

Trying to pump up your own stories.

Well if you are writing for the addy you have no journalistic credbility :thumbsdown:
No, he wouldn't make it that obvious......would he? :eek:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

there is nothing wrong with that article. However there is something wrong with those who bag somebody high up as Gerard.
There is too much negativity and shit that goes on about what our game does and it is in the chat rooms that this happens. You might think that it is your own opinion and it doesn't matter. It does matter because people like Gerard will come and read what you guys are talking about.

I was actually going to start a thread about how many topics on BF forums magically appear in the H/Sun a day or two later.

I know a certain journalist from the Daily Telegraph in Sydney seems to get his stories from the unofficial Swans forum, something is brought up in the forum and a couple of days later here it is in the Tele. :eek:

My thoughts exactly.

The journos stir the hornets' nest and then sit back and enjoy the show - I don't think they are in a position to complain. Perhaps Gerard should be going after the knobs who write the sensational drivel that appears in the media before going off on those who merely consume and analyse it.

you know what I found funny last week

"SHANE WHITNALL CALLS A PRESS CONFERENCE"

Good for a laugh I suppose, can't see much news value.

I guarantee nobody from here turned up.

Remove this Banner Ad

Gerard Whateley slams footy chat rooms

Remove this Banner Ad

Back