Get Barry Hall

Remove this Banner Ad

absolutely ****EN not! guy will be 33 next year, what on earth is the point? Salter is coming along nicely and J - West needs a genuine chance to flourish as a 3rd tall.

As footyhead07 said at the pub a few months ago when he retired and one of the Port supporters asked us if we should go for him, at the first minute of the pre season training season Choco should say here you go Barry and hand him a set gloves. He then should say Justin, 3 rounds with Barry, Danyle you're next, Kane you're after that etc etc.

A presason with Barry in the boxing ring with our players he will probably earn his yearly salary in that 4 months.

I reckon Jackson Trengrove, Dom and Thomas would be the only ones volunteering to get in the ring with Barry, based on how our side has performed this year going for the hard ball. Throw in Bob and Rodan to that list.

Mind you with Barry and Tredders in our forward line, we will never see a free kick and add Motlop's usual 4 or 5 frees he gives away each match and we probably wont get any easy goals.

My first reaction was to say "no way" as an undisciplined player prone to "brain snaps" is not what I want to see out our club but giving it a bit more thought I now believe that recruiting Hall is just what our club needs at the moment. Our next two seasons are down the toilet anyway under Choco so if we are not going to attract fans with success we may as well attract them with a bit of controversy and the promise of some on field fire works.

I was only thinking these exact thoughts you mention above yesterday. I think many are calling out for something different otherwise many can see us heading down the same ol path as this year. Big Bad Barry may keep some of us interested over the shorter term while others around the club.... had better start trying to get our club to where it should be over the longer term. This idea, just may keep the interest for a little while.
Go for it....:thumbsu:

No. No. No. No. **** no. Have I made myself clear?

Barry will go to a club that A) Has a premiership window open and B) Needs a key forward. We are neither of those things. Taking him would just hold Salter back IMO. And who says that a 32-year old Barry Hall will be the same quality as he once was anyway?

^^ Bullshit having Barry play for us helps out Salter. What it does do is means we don't have a need for The Hoff as a third tall.

Is it getting close to the point where Westhoff has to be replaced? Salter IMO looks the goods and now has to stay in the side.

I do think Tredrea for another year does hold our progress back as we are clearly in developmental mode now. I hate to say it, I would prefer Salter, Stewart and Tredrea and Trade Westhoff considering we have Gray and Motlop.

If it was 2007, yes. If we made the top 4 this year, yes. But where our team is at the moment I would like to continue the rebuild and hope the forward line we have can kick more goals and have better defensive pressure next year.

I havent lost faith in J Westoff just yet and think Salter should play most of 2011.

If it was 2007, yes. If we made the top 4 this year, yes. But where our team is at the moment I would like to continue the rebuild and hope the forward line we have can kick more goals and have better defensive pressure next year.

I havent lost faith in J Westoff just yet and think Salter should play most of 2011.

Salter should have played most of 2009!

^^ Bullshit having Barry play for us helps out Salter. What it does do is means we don't have a need for The Hoff as a third tall.

um, no, Hall would be more of a direct replacement for *Tredrea*. no. no. no.

No, Hall is not a replacement for Tredders. He is a short term complementary player, ie 2 year potential player, that will costs us nothing thru the PSD and has to be compared to not taking a 5th or 6th rounder speculative pick that is about an 85% chance of being cut after 2 years. I know which one I would gamble on.

A Hall, Tredders and Salter set up, is like Brisbane's old Lynch, Bradshaw and Brown set up. Ie the opposition need 3 big bodied defenders to try to stop all 3 and they can't regularly double team Hall and Tredders simultaneously. If they do, then Salter is the winner.

no, hall is not a replacement for tredders. He is a short term complementary player, ie 2 year potential player, that will costs us nothing thru the psd and has to be compared to not taking a 5th or 6th rounder speculative pick that is about an 85% chance of being cut after 2 years. I know which one i would gamble on.

A hall, tredders and salter set up, is like brisbane's old lynch, bradshaw and brown set up. Ie the opposition need 3 big bodied defenders to try to stop all 3 and they can't regularly double team hall and tredders simultaneously. If they do, then salter is the winner.

+1!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

even if we get hall...

are you really that confident in our coaching staff to get the balance right??

Tredders Slats Hall Motlop Jwess Grey forward 6???:confused:

Hoff had a good break out year (well up untill about 2 weeks before the finals) since then he has been crap... time to move him on, Hall on a pay as you play plan would be great, who gives a crap if he kicks some heads in, it will be like the Port of old not this pussy girl long haired pansy player(hoff). So he gets rubbed out then he don't get paid... easy, sadly the problem will be like it always is....Getting anyone to move to Adelaide!
As i said last year we should have gone for Benny and given Carr the big miss...This year please miss on Seaby and go for Big Bad!

Westhoff wouldn't play in that forward line unless for part of the game to stretch the opposition. Gray should be the in and under player and play Krak in that role sometimes. Keep Motlop and Ebert away from them. Motlop getting the ball with time and space 60m to 70m will either kick a goal himself or put it right down the big blokes throat.

Yes it will require our coaching staff to use some Brain Power to get it to work, but a full preseason of training with 3 big targets means we will go into the season with a better gameplan and approach than the last few years.

As Ford and others who have attended preseason will tell you, if we don't train in the preseason by going long to contests in our forward line then the players wont do it too often in the home and away season. It would require a change in game plan but Hall provides the strong extra KFP player to change our style.

I'm all for using the last pick of the draft or a pick in the psd on a recycled player. I think it's a good gamble and can be very rewarding.

I'm not convinced on hall though. Yes he would complement our forward line: Salter, Hall and Tredders is a salivating thought. The only catch is that hall will be 33 and tredders will be 31 at the start of next season. At those ages it's unlikely both players will play full seasons - and then you'd have to consider anything that hall does on the wrong side of the MRP will earn a 50% loading.

While we do need a KPF, i was hoping we'd go for someone younger than tredders, not older!

As I said before, i'd rather a forward line of tredders, salter and westhoff going into next year.

Im torn on this one. Half of me says 'good idea, will bring crowds, could work'. The other half says 'hes 33, waste of time, will probably clock someone'.

Its a huge risk. What if he decides in January that he cant be ****ed with training etc? It is very much the Carey situation again. Hes very old, very worn...i dunno.

I can see more cons than pros at the moment, but id need to think more about it.

He might be able to put pull a few of the over inflated egos at the club into place but other than that I am not in favour of recruiting a 32 year old loose cannon when we will have a 32 year old champion to do the job anyway.

Interesting prospect. He is probably as fit as he has been in his long career so I could see him hanging around for two seasons. Would certainly focus the mind (and reflexes) of opposition defenders, freeing up Tredders, Salter and even Westhoff to present in a less congested forward line.
Reckon he will have the discipline to get through most of the season - I wouldnt crucify him for copping a week here or there. Probably will end up with the Scraggers though, they have form on picking players at the tail end of their career, in a last roll of the dice as Rocket and Co. chase that elusive flag.

I want him less for his skill, but more to put a bit of toughness into the team and harden up some of the guys who put in piss poor efforts every second week. It was that similar kind of toughness and the give it your all kind of attitude (from players like Pickett and Hardwick) that made us such a force in 2004. Get him in.

Its a huge risk. What if he decides in January that he cant be ****ed with training etc? It is very much the Carey situation again. Hes very old, very worn...i dunno.

How is it a huge risk if we don't have to give up a pick for him and take him in PSD for nothing? So he gives up in January and we are down to 39 + 6 rookies instead of 40 + 6 rookies. How is that any different to when Wilbur did his knee for a second time in early 2002 or Francou did his knee again in January 2004, or Lade break his leg again for the second time in February 2001. In all 3 cases we were 1 player short for all of those 3 seasons. So in your example Macca, we haven't gained anything but we haven't lost much either.

If we use footyhead07's idea of giving him the gloves at preseason and getting him sparing with our boys, we have at least 3 months of hardening the f#$k up some of our players during the preseason by having BBBBB Hall on board during those 3 months.

Even in that game against the crows he missed a couple but still kicked 4?that day. Hall has had some good games at footy park over the years,
With injury's and form i'm sure there would be a spot for him most weeks, as REH says there is nothing to lose,and love him or hate him he will put bums on seats and i have the feeling we are going to need that next year more than ever.

Remove this Banner Ad

Get Barry Hall

Remove this Banner Ad

Back