Unofficial Preview GF v Sydney Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

heading into last years grand final I was very confident winning the flag. My thoughts were because players were in Brisbane all month. Never really pushed too much n the end for both games. Our final H&A game was at the gabba. Meanwhile collingwood were stretched in both games. At half time I was trying to put sauce on my meat pie and my hand was shaking from nerves. Then we lost .... got up and bailed out of there as quick as I could.

This time I am on the other side of my feelings. I am going down but I feel like Sydney could blow this one out. But we have given ourselves a chance by being in it and my wife is coming down for it with me so i'm going to try and enjoy the day more.
There is certainly a lot stacked against us this year >

1- 6 day break compared to the Swans 7, fair enough though, the Swans earnt that by finishing 1st in the H&A.
2- 3 finals travels for us and 1 for the Swans, again earnt.
3- We have had 2 ferociously contested games going into the GF, Swans a tough one in the QF and an easy PF win.
4- Swans an extra week off.

Fort is capable of pushing forward as well and is a good kick for goal. He should be fresh after not playing for a couple of weeks, so I'd be getting him to drift forward occasionally and see how much Grundy wants to follow him the other way.
Yer, I'm not worried about the Fort/Grundy match up, IMO Darcy can certainly hold his own, he is no mug as a ruck.

A lot of media seem to be talking us up and rightfully so but it worries me. Sydney, as the best team all year, are weirdly flying a bit under the radar.
Sydney are certainly capable of beating us and they may do so on Saturday but boy I reckon we're peaking right now.

I've felt Sydney peaked earlier in the season and our best is better than their best.

Fort is capable of pushing forward as well and is a good kick for goal. He should be fresh after not playing for a couple of weeks, so I'd be getting him to drift forward occasionally and see how much Grundy wants to follow him the other way.

I'm a bit more pessimistic about Fort. Happy for him to play defensively and just minimise Grundys influence

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We watched Rich win the kick competition then went to the MCG.
Unfortunately, that coincided to a Collingwood march to the ground
Guy I know from work was with Isaac Smith and Rich in the golf buggy trying to get them from the longest kick to the ground. He had some video of them trying to drive through the march and it was pretty insane. Basically everyone (from both clubs it seemed) wanted to try and get a photo with Rich and atmosphere was insane.

Mills update:

"Trained 100%" and "feels good"

I feel this scenario, unfortunately for the Swans, is one of those where whatever you do it will be wrong....but you'll only know that afterwards.

They really should have come out strongly and decisively and ruled him out/in earlier - because regardless of what they do now, there's going to be nagging doubts.

Ruling him out would have been simple - "he's done a hammy, it's a 3+ week injury, he's toast, player X will come in"
Ruling him in ("he trains at 100%, he plays") similarly.

Now, they are in a world of clickbait, press releases and media questions....I cannot fathom how they think this will assist their preparation.

Second year in a row attending a GF.
Last year i thought we were 50/50 to get the win. Same feeling this year.
I think the best two teams are playing on Saturday even though it is 1 v 5.

We beat them in R19, but they were in the middle of a big slump that various teams went through this year.
They only beat North in the 6 games from R16 to R21.
Lost to Dockers (1), Saints (2), Lions (2), Dogs (39), Power (112)
So, i would not take much from that R19 game other than we won.

Hopefully the boys can string together 3 good quarters and be solid in the other.
That should get us a win but that will be hard to do.

Second year in a row attending a GF.
Last year i thought we were 50/50 to get the win. Same feeling this year.
I think the best two teams are playing on Saturday even though it is 1 v 5.

We beat them in R19, but they were in the middle of a big slump that various teams went through this year.
They only beat North in the 6 games from R16 to R21.
Lost to Dockers (1), Saints (2), Lions (2), Dogs (39), Power (112)
So, i would not take much from that R19 game other than we won.

Hopefully the boys can string together 3 good quarters and be solid in the other.
That should get us a win but that will be hard to do.
I do think we have more offensive weapons, if we at least break even in the midfield I think the likes of Joe, Charlie, Cam, Zac, Kai, Cal will get enough opportunities to kick enough goals for us to win.

Remove this Banner Ad

Unofficial Preview GF v Sydney Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Back