Rumour GFC 2017 Player Trading, Drafting, FA, Rumours, and Wish lists - PT2

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
You're being ridiculously biased. Port have got 3 best 22 players for one pick in the 30's. Of course that's a good trade week.

And then the old argument that anyone who chooses geelong is a champion, and anyone who chooses to go somewhere other than geelong is either useless or there's something wrong with them and that's obviously why we pulled out, can't have been that another club just beat us to them :rolleyes:
They took 3 damaged players.

Yes, Motlop is Motlop. Brilliant but inconsistent. I actually think the worst club for him to go to is Port. They themselves are exactly like him. Football wise, I think Adelaide would have been a far better bet. So Port to fix an area they weren't really weak in, signed a guy who has the same problems as them. If he fires, great, otherwise it will be nasty.

Rockliff, we've all heard the stories reported there. Lets see how Rockliff goes. I don't necessarily think he will fail as a change could be good but there is a huge amount of risk asking a Leopard to change his spots.

Watts, I would of taken him but lets see what happens but if once again, working hard enough is not the answer, he is a risk. And I'm not sure given the players they have that he is walk up best 22.

All in all, I think Port did well, they took risks which every club would take but I'm not sure I would label them better without a doubt especially losing a best 22 player in Impey and depth in Trengrove. I would think they have the potential to explode and win the flag but they also have the potential to implode as there is a lot of risk.

Of course it was a great trade period for us but what did we pay for Danger & Hendo though??
Port haven't given up much man. A pick in the 30s and 3 fringe players.
It has been an allright week for em.

Because we traded them in and Port bought them in.
Imagine the outcry if we brought in a Motlop type on 600k/4 years.
Yeah they've used bugger all picks to get those 3, but all 3 have come on fat salaries.

Of course it was a great trade period for us but what did we pay for Danger & Hendo though??
Port haven't given up much man. A pick in the 30s and 3 fringe players.
It has been an allright week for em.

Yes, I agree, they've done well. Not as well as us in 2015 though, which was my only point.

No interest in Schache after Dogs met with him, will stay at the Lions. Must be something up with both Tigers and Doggies ruling him out.
Someone will swoop in last minute with a low ball offer. No idea who but I don't buy it that no one would take him unless there is something that isn't public.

Because we traded them in and Port bought them in.
Imagine the outcry if we brought in a Motlop type on 600k/4 years.
Yeah they've used bugger all picks to get those 3, but all 3 have come on fat salaries.
Not really a big deal for them now though.
Once Hartlett and Boak come out of contract they'll have some cash to splash. No way their getting the same money again.
Plus picks are more important (to me) anyway.

The facts is they did chase other players.. but some players just would not be tempted.

That's true. As it was with GWS as well. But instead of just grabbing flakey players like GC did, GWS went with experienced, professionals and good citizens to boot, and often unwanted by their former clubs. Players who could set a standard both on and off the field. GC stuffed it up.

That's how I see i things too
To think that we could have gotten Watts, the best available player in the trade, bit meekly stepped aside for Port .....is really quite galling.
Heading into 208 we are down Mackie & Lonegran, but we've given Gardner zero game time to help minimise the transition period
We've lost Motlop,and now we are looking to trade out Lang.
All the while holding onto spuds like Murdoch and Stanley
And what if the perpetually injured Cowan and Mc Carthy don't come up again ?
That squad is very very light on

So to look at it from the other side-
When Lonners and Mackie missed games, we didn't miss them. And the size of our backline may have been mentioned at some point in the last 2 years.
When Motlop was dropped, we didn't miss him. We also wont miss the preseason distraction of how much he weighs. (he looks ripped at the minute tho)

The doom and gloom of McCarthy is offset by the development of Parsons & Parfait.
Gardner was given no time to transition. But nobody has said he will need too immediately. In fact most suggest Taylor goes back.

Watts and his 13 brownlow votes with 1 top 5 B&F finish at a team that hasn't played finals in his career being the best available player in the trade period has me very very comfortable that we decided to sit out and go to the draft. But I understand everyones desire to see action action action.

That's how I see i things too
To think that we could have gotten Watts, the best available player in the trade, but meekly stepped aside for Port .....is really quite galling.
Heading into 2018, we are down Mackie & Lonegran, but we've given Gardner zero game time to help minimise the transition period
We've lost Motlop,and now we are looking to trade out Lang.
All the while holding onto spuds like Murdoch and Stanley
And what if the perpetually injured Cowan and Mc Carthy don't come up again ?
That squad is very very light on

Cowan is delisted

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So to look at it from the other side-
When Lonners and Mackie missed games, we didn't miss them. And the size of our backline may have been mentioned at some point in the last 2 years.
When Motlop was dropped, we didn't miss him. We also wont miss the preseason distraction of how much he weighs. (he looks ripped at the minute tho)

The doom and gloom of McCarthy is offset by the development of Parsons & Parfait.
Gardner was given no time to transition. But nobody has said he will need too immediately. In fact most suggest Taylor goes back.

Watts and his 13 brownlow votes with 1 top 5 B&F finish at a team that hasn't played finals in his career being the best available player in the trade period has me very very comfortable that we decided to sit out and go to the draft. But I understand everyones desire to see action action action.
I'm on the fence with Parfitt but let's not get carried away with Parsons. He has zero defensive attributes and averages about 10 possessions per game. The only reason he played as many games as he did was because of injuries. I think he's quite lazy
He'll play less games in 2018 than he did this year if we can remain free from injury

We may have been able to 'spot' cover Mackie and Lonegran absences this year, but trying doing that on a regular basis without developing and transitioning suitable replacements. It was an epic fail on behalf of the club not to get game time into Gardner

As for qouting Brownlow votes and B&Fs as some kind of measure of Watts worth.......cmon dude!
Selwood has never won a Brownlow, and Jimmy Bartel never won a B&F.
I'm more interested in what Watts could have bought to the team rather than any individual measures

To use a cricket analogy, we have a very long tail and only bat down to number 5.

I thought our squad was light on in 2017........it's even lighter next year

Last edited:
Id say well.
Most team that go deep have a strong player core and are supported by players 16-22.

Daniel Rioli.. pick 15 2 years ago seemed to add a spark. Now I realise thats a bit higher than our picks.. but not by much.

Point being, first and second year players can make contributions to established sides. Not all year long clearly - they hit walls - but it helps.
Parfitt pre injury did for us.

Im not sure its a problematic as its being made out.

GO Catters
Selwood certainly did for Geelong.

I do agree with their off field setup was wrong, but they did truly stuff up the recruitment and drafting in the beginning.
If your dumping a heap of 18-19 year olds in a party town you need strong and tough leaders (both on field and off field) around to guide them. They went with Ablett, who as much as I love is the wrong sort of captain to have at a foundation club particularly one on the GC. They should of chased Selwood in my opinion. Add C.Brown, J.Brennan, J.Fraser, N.Krakouer, K.Hunt to that mix and it's recipe for disaster.

GWS got it right. An experienced coach who knew how to guide the kids and knew the system thru and thru. Drafting of experienced leaders and solid citizens in C.Cornes, D.Brogan, A.McDonald, L.Power etc to also guide the kids. Another thing they did which GC didn't was effectively setup an "enclosure" for them all to live in. A great way of keeping an eye over a bunch of 18 year olds and keeping them on the right path.

From memory, they did chase Selwood, but there was a media report, maybe a year or so later, that the Cats had been prepared to prioritise retaining him over retaining Ablett. The question of captaincy was part of that, i.e. Geelong wanting to keep him. Around that time, Ablett himself went on the record - tv interview? - saying he would love to be captain of the Cats.

I think good management and facilities would have led to prioritising the kinds of on and off-field player leadership you have mentioned.

Apparently there is also a study that shows that visiting (professional sporting) teams tend, disproportionately, to lose when they play on the Gold Coast, something the author attributed to the party atmosphere: too much else to be doing. I have always suspected (conversely) it's why visiting teams used to win when they played in Adelaide ... which is a great place now.

Someone will swoop in last minute with a low ball offer. No idea who but I don't buy it that no one would take him unless there is something that isn't public.
I hope it’s us, even if as you say a low ball offer. I hope the cats offer a latter pick and see if they take it. Might not work out but neither may the draft pick.

I doubt it. I mean, the only way anyone could possibly have a better trade period would be if they brought in the best player in the comp, a gun KPD, a solid and much-needed first ruck, and a decent tagger for midfield depth.

But let's face it, that's crazy talk. There's no way one club could pull all that off in a single trade period. I'm not even going to bother consulting the history books on this one, such is my certainty it must never have happened.

Yeah, but imagine if they could do that and not one of the players had the kinds of issues (public and private) that have cropped up with players put on the trade table. Nah, you're right ... we're dreaming ...

I'm on the fence with Parfitt but let's not get carried away with Parsons. He has zero defensive attributes and averages about 10 possessions per game. The only reason he played as many games as he did was because of injuries. I think he's quite lazy
He'll play less games in 2018 than he did this year if we can remain free from injury

We may have been able to 'spot' cover Mackie and Lonegran absences this year, but trying doing that on a regular basis without developing and transitioning suitable replacements. It was an epic fail on behalf of the club not to get game time into Gardner

As for qouting Brownlow votes and B&Fs as some kind of measure of Watts worth.......cmon dude!
Selwood has never won a Brownlow, and Jimmy Bartel never won a B&F.
I'm more interested in what Watts could have bought to the team rather than any individual measures

To use a cricket analogy, we have a very long tail and only bat down to number 5.

I thought our squad was light on in 2017........it's even lighter next year
Good points.
Can't agree with Parsons being lazy. Far from it..
And having the best list is not the necessary requirement for a flag as it used to be.

That's true. As it was with GWS as well. But instead of just grabbing flakey players like GC did, GWS went with experienced, professionals and good citizens to boot, and often unwanted by their former clubs. Players who could set a standard both on and off the field. GC stuffed it up.

To be fair again... I put it down to the afl setup to a certain degree.. I don't think it should have been all at setup.. 2 FA's at the start and then 2 each year for 5 years ... may have been better to encourage quality players once they saw it on the field. I also think they should have been given more picks that must be used in trades... and comp picks over multiple years. It was like give them a heap all at the start ..and then bang you are done. ..thats very little allowance for a weak draft or getting it wrong or even bad luck. The clubs probably did not want an ongoing impacted draft but the introduction of FA has negated that any way and to some degree lessened the benefits given. And even now Id give them auto access to list their academy players IF they are not playing in the finals...once they are finalists that changes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back