Rumour GFC 2017 Player Trading, Drafting, FA, Rumours, and Wish lists.

Who would you rather at the Cats?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Huh?

I want Ablett if it is affordable, handing over a high pick, even if it is acquired via trade tampering is just not justifiable to me. He’s not worth that and we should be able to get him for what he’s worth. A pick in the 30’s or someone on our fringes.

Gold coast have overpaid Ablett by $500k in the last 2 years. They are not going to trade him for what he is worth. They need to be seen to have had a win. If we offer pick 50 and Murdoch they will just let him retire and Motlop will leave anyway.

Gold coast have overpaid Ablett by $500k in the last 2 years. They are not going to trade him for what he is worth. They need to be seen to have had a win. If we offer pick 50 and Murdoch they will just let him retire and Motlop will leave anyway.
Cool. Let him retire then.

He is not important enough to warrant grossly overpaying. If they demand a pick at the end of the first round then we should walk away.

If Motlop wishes to leave then so be it, we do the best we can with whatever that nets us, and if that’s a first round pick by GC overpaying him then the best use of that selection is not trading it for Ablett.

D. Smith had his best season in 2014 and has been down since, at least going by the numbers.

I'd be lying if I didn't say that part of my fondness for Lang is that he's one of our own. But he's also younger, has a higher ceiling imo and will be cheaper to retain than Smith will be to recruit. I don't personally see enough upside in Devon to give much up to bring him in.

If the dollars being thrown around for Smith are correct, then 100%, not worth it.

You obviously dont get what i am suggesting. No club is going to pay Motlop more than $500k which will get us about pick 38ish in return. Gold coast can overpay Motlop in order to get more for Ablett.

If i had posed the question last week, would you trade Motlop for Ablett, 95% of posters would say yes. He plays 1 good game and now 95% of posters say no.

No I wouldn't and I think 95% of posters/supporters would not do that deal before last week.

Motlop has been criticized (somewhat unfairly) and has been poor this year, but I still take that over a 34 year old who will barely play 1 more season.

100 games from a solid outside player >>>> 15 games from GAJ

It's a no brainer.

Ablett is worth sh*tall. Even less than an out of form Motlop because of age and the ability to turn motlop around. Motlop is 26, played out of position in a current game style that does not suit him... yet is still worth more than the injured 34 year old because he can still turn it around, and will play more "great" games than Ablett will due to age. If motlop stays average he is worth more.. if motlop turns it around a little by being played in the right position he is woth 10x more than ablett.

Sorry mate, but the trade you put up is so ridiculous, 100% of posters would be filthy with the club if it came true.

We shouldn't be paying anything for GAJ, it is only due to the GC nutter Cochrane that he is perceived to have any value - because he is a nutter unwilling to do what every other club would do. - i.e. to let him walk like we did:

For SJ (R5 pick)
Chappy (pick in 80s)
Mitchell (88)
etc.

A year on and do you think Darcy would be happy to continue to play a handful of games at the top level each season. He would have backed himself in to be a regular but it hasn't happened.

If Motlop is out the door, Lang would be the most likely to get his position barring any new additions from trading.

That aside, he doesn't break his leg against Freo and he more than likely plays 16-17 games for the year. Games aren't the problem. Its the assumption that he wants to play more midfield minutes.

I'd be surprised if Lang is just left to walk out. It's not like he wasn't in the side most of the year as the media have been suggesting. He was injured and has made a solid return.

I'll once again end up eating my words as I always do but he seems more important then Murdoch long term and playing a similar outside position. I reckon the club should do everything to keep him.

No I wouldn't and I think 95% of posters/supporters would not do that deal before last week.

Motlop has been criticized (somewhat unfairly) and has been poor this year, but I still take that over a 34 year old who will barely play 1 more season.

100 games from a solid outside player >>>> 15 games from GAJ

It's a no brainer.

Ablett is worth sh*tall. Even less than an out of form Motlop because of age and the ability to turn motlop around. Motlop is 26, played out of position in a current game style that does not suit him... yet is still worth more than the injured 34 year old because he can still turn it around, and will play more "great" games than Ablett will due to age. If motlop stays average he is worth more.. if motlop turns it around a little by being played in the right position he is woth 10x more than ablett.

Sorry mate, but the trade you put up is so ridiculous, 100% of posters would be filthy with the club if it came true.

We shouldn't be paying anything for GAJ, it is only due to the GC nutter Cochrane that he is perceived to have any value - because he is a nutter unwilling to do what every other club would do. - i.e. to let him walk like we did:

For SJ (R5 pick)
Chappy (pick in 80s)
Mitchell (88)
etc.

Motlop for Ablett ridiculous you reckon.

I know who i would prefer in the team tomorrow night.

There is going to be some pretty disappointed people on here when an out of contract Darcy Lang gets traded to Carlton for pick 78 ala Vardy.
Not a hope in hades that happens.

What do you think happens with Lang.
Re-signs at Geelong.

He's had issues with professionalism and attitude which has prevented him from taking that next step but the club rates him highly.

Cos the club publically states it has shopped him around in the past and is willing to trade again this year. You dont do that unless you want to get rid of him. Even if you do shop him around you dont publically claim it ahead of the trade period whilst your team is competing for a flag.

That was last year. We haven't shopped him this year all the club has said is that he has put off contract talks and if he chooses to losge an FA offer elsewhere we will decide whether it's in our interests to match it or not. Which is reasonable.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'd be surprised if Lang is just left to walk out. It's not like he wasn't in the side most of the year as the media have been suggesting. He was injured and has made a solid return.

I'll once again end up eating my words as I always do but he seems more important then Murdoch long term and playing a similar outside position. I reckon the club should do everything to keep him.

Lang only missed 6 games through injury. He played about 50% of games when he was fit, he was on the bubble. I think he's different to Murdoch in that he's probably 8-10cm shorter, 8-10kg lighter and nowhere near as quick.

And I don't see the upside. He'll always be undersized, weak and relatively one-paced.

Lang only missed 6 games through injury. He played about 50% of games when he was fit, he was on the bubble. I think he's different to Murdoch in that he's probably 8-10cm shorter, 8-10kg lighter and nowhere near as quick.

And I don't see the upside. He'll always be undersized, weak and relatively one-paced.
Good extractor, takes his time with possession. But yeah, I still think he's a bust as a first round pick.

Good extractor, takes his time with possession. But yeah, I still think he's a bust as a first round pick.

Is he a good extractor though? The guy has no strength to free his hands or break a tackle which makes it pretty hard for him. A guy like Menegola is so much better for those reasons.

Is he a good extractor though? The guy has no strength to free his hands or break a tackle which makes it pretty hard for him. A guy like Menegola is so much better for those reasons.
Different sort of players, Smitchell not overly big or strong but was elite at just getting himself free and being clean in congestion, not everyone needs to be a bull that just rips the ball away form everyone. Lang just seems to have sticky hands in the contest picking up a loose ball.

Sounds fine to me

It is not about midfield minutes with Lang. He did not play midfield against Sydney. He played the same high half forward role he always does. The difference is the size of the ground. On the MCG he has a lot of space to operate in as a high half forward, at KP he doesn't. Most of Lang's good games are at the MCG or Docklands. At KP it is more congested and he gets caught, he gets caught A LOT. He is in the same position as Caddy, he is not good enough to break into Geelong's full strength midfield and only ok as a high half forward. While it is good to have someone that actually plays better on the bigger grounds he is definitely expendable if we are looking to bring in Stringer.

Different sort of players, Smitchell not overly big or strong but was elite at just getting himself free and being clean in congestion, not everyone needs to be a bull that just rips the ball away form everyone. Lang just seems to have sticky hands in the contest picking up a loose ball.

Are you really compare Lang who got 7 clearances total for the year to Sam Mitchell who gets that in a game? They are a world apart even if they are similar builds.

Are you really compare Lang who got 7 clearances total for the year to Sam Mitchell who gets that in a game? They are a world apart even if they are similar builds.
You were the one who brought size of player into it. I also said I don't think Lang is great, but I am commenting on some of the positive flashes he shows. Not consistent at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back