Rumour GFC 2017 Player Trading, Drafting, FA, Rumours, and Wish lists.

Who would you rather at the Cats?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mcartney is surely best choice for Gold Coast, fantastic development coach. Added bonus for Geelong, he wouldn't stand in the way of one of his 07 boys coming home.....
He certainly has the football knowledge. Whether he has the man management skills is open to question. He's a long shot in my view.

I think Rats warrants another go and of the level 4 coaches Caracella would be my choice. His weakness is never having coached in his own right. Very important to get this one right as it's the clubs third crack at it.

I think you pay the salary cap in the event of a retirement unless there is a medical intervention/reason.

In the case of a medical retirement (ie approved by afl doctor) the club still has to pay the player the rest of his contract but the payout doesnt count within the salary cap for that year (for example GC would still pay ablett his 2018 money but it would be exempt from their 2018 salary cap). This happened for us when egan retired we had to pay him out but it wasn't included in the cap.

You obviously dont get it.

Gold Coast can overpay Motlop to get a better trade for Ablett. They need to save face with their fan base and be seen to be having a win.

So lets just sit back and watch Motlop leave and get pick 38 as compensation and then try and trade that for Ablett.

Either way we are losing Motlop and gaining Ablett. For me thats a win for the cats as i am only looking at the next couple of seasons where Dangerwood are in their prime.

Yep... Some people OBVIOUSLY don't get it.
Giving a 2nd round pick for Ablett is paying WAY overs.

if we can pull off Stringer without the need of losing Menzel/Lang/Motlop/Thurlow, I'll be all for it... and prefer that over losing one or more and getting Ablett or D.Smith.

Ablett is not worth it - won't play more than 20 games

D.Smith - happy to pass, i.e. I prefer to keep Menzel Motlop Lang and Thurlow over

Agree. I wouldn't chase any of those players. If they want to come let them come.

And all the other upgraded contracts we did for Bews, Kolo, Cocky, Buzza etc ect ect who would have got 100K+ payrises. Not to mention the fact Harry has a backended contract.

To land all three we need to clear at least another 2 maybe 3 fringe players given you need to add in minimum pay players to fill a list.

For all three brace yourself to lose Menz, Lang and Thurlow on top of that. Hopefully it can be GHS instead of Lang or Menz
More than happy to throw in ghs to the thurlow lang or motlop deals.
Really think menz is a finals type player with his composure and his accuracy. Do not want to lose him. I reckon hawk menz ablett smith stringer parfitt mccarthy hold us in very good fwd line stead. Also add danger menegola parsons buzza gregson and stanley to that list.

And if Jimmy was on the books this year, that gives some more SC space going forward that I had not even considered was available.

And I know its not as simple as take from A and give to B, but **** me it makes it hard to comprehend the massively short offer to Menzel.

GO Catters
Unbelievable insult daz

If we trade our R1 2018 for Stringer... we cant trade any other picks from 2018
Do the Andy
In that situation, if we finalised the Ablett deal first would we then lose the right to trade our 2018 first round pick, or could we still trade the first round pick but no other 2018 picks after that?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We don't need Ablett at all. He can stay at the Suns or retire. Why is everyone so interested in getting Ablett back to Geelong? Move on and get over it!

Look to the future and the gaps we will need to fill.

Lonergan (retires) - Taylor slots back into defence and maybe Gardner gets an opportunity next season. Also gives Buzza more game time.

Mackie (retires) - Thurlow and Blicavs can slot in there nicely or even the Guthrie boys.

If Menzel or Motlop go we have players on standby and not too concerned. However it does give us a good opportunity for D.Smith or Stringer at the right price. Also it will be interesting to see how Linc and Gregson go next season. I could see Jones and Narkle challenge for those positions too.

The way I see our forward line in 2018:
Cocky, Buzza, Murdoch/Lang
Parfitt, Hawkins, Linc/Gregson/Parsons

Yes, it would be nice to get a Stringer in there but Smith won't come unless he plays in the mid so Paddy or Joel will have to spend more time upforward.

Other forward options - Stanley/ House/ Jones/ Narkle

It’s interesting that Danger would prefer to play forward. Obviously he’s also an amazing midfielder and very much a team player so he’ll do what’s best for the team.
Ablett, Smith and Stringer would all play a significant amount of their time forward. With Ablett the only one that would really ‘force’ danger out of the middle. It makes the Rockliff interest more interesting to me. Because he’s a very good midfielder who kicks goals. If Danger moves to more of a forward/mid role as opposed to the other way around. Rockliff could take over his midfield mins.

We don't need Ablett at all. He can stay at the Suns or retire. Why is everyone so interested in getting Ablett back to Geelong? Move on and get over it!

Look to the future and the gaps we will need to fill.

Lonergan (retires) - Taylor slots back into defence and maybe Gardner gets an opportunity next season. Also gives Buzza more game time.

Mackie (retires) - Thurlow and Blicavs can slot in there nicely or even the Guthrie boys.

If Menzel or Motlop go we have players on standby and not too concerned. However it does give us a good opportunity for D.Smith or Stringer at the right price. Also it will be interesting to see how Linc and Gregson go next season. I could see Jones and Narkle challenge for those positions too.

The way I see our forward line in 2018:
Cocky, Buzza, Murdoch/Lang
Parfitt, Hawkins, Linc/Gregson/Parsons

Yes, it would be nice to get a Stringer in there but Smith won't come unless he plays in the mid so Paddy or Joel will have to spend more time upforward.

Other forward options - Stanley/ House/ Jones/ Narkle
The forward line is unbelievably awful. I cant see is even making with finals with that forward line regardless of how good out mids and defenders are. Its terrible.

Sorry but I wouldn't have thought that getting GAJ back should be a main priority. He's probably got one or maybe two years left . He only played half of the second half of the season due to injuries. I would have thought there are more important deals and drafts to be done before that one , still I'm only a guest here.

I've been saying this for the entire season but for some reason people become irrational and disproportionately emotive about Ablett, as if the last 7 years didn't happen.

Do the Andy
In that situation, if we finalised the Ablett deal first would we then lose the right to trade our 2018 first round pick, or could we still trade the first round pick but no other 2018 picks after that?

Its R1 or others ... and considering the possibility of Brownless I doubt we will trade the others.

It’s interesting that Danger would prefer to play forward. Obviously he’s also an amazing midfielder and very much a team player so he’ll do what’s best for the team.
Ablett, Smith and Stringer would all play a significant amount of their time forward. With Ablett the only one that would really ‘force’ danger out of the middle. It makes the Rockliff interest more interesting to me. Because he’s a very good midfielder who kicks goals. If Danger moves to more of a forward/mid role as opposed to the other way around. Rockliff could take over his midfield mins.

Somebody on radio was saying they think Rockliff's decision will just come down to dollars and cents, he won't be doing media post career and was on peanuts for a while starting as a rookie, needs to bank dollars while he's playing. I would assume that we're out of the conversation then

So devon smith cant even make it into the starting 22 of an injury ravaged prelim side. And here is the real irony. He is being kept out of the game by steve fricken johnson.

Oh yes lets trade away a menzel or motlop to get him. The circle of idiocy.
Its not Stevie J either that's the worst on that Fwd line, they have DeBoer in the side ahead of Devon Smith! He's a hack. They obviously know that Smith is gone, and are not playing him deliberately is my opinion... Probably why Thurlow has been no chance lately, I reckon he's gone for sure, he will be in the Stringer trade no doubts...

No inside info or anything, but I do wonder if West Coast might come in and offer us & Mitch something crazy, they'll be desperate to top up their midfield, have plenty of cap space & a couple of decent currency players they could move on in Gaff, Darling &/or Lycett for swaps or picks if they really want to change it up that is.

Kennedy doesn't have that many years left & you don't want to waste a spine of McGovern, Nic Nat & Kennedy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back