Rumour GFC 2017 Player Trading, Drafting, FA, Rumours, and Wish lists.

Who would you rather at the Cats?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
We're being ripped off (again)

We can't afford to pay him which is point one. We can't keep him and get the likes of Stringer. So if we let him go we just get a compo pick which will be approx pick 36-38.

So it's Ablett for Pick 38. Yep we could argue a fraction high but the difference btw pick 38 and 50 is what less than 10 picks with academy picks. Big deal. At that point of the draft clubs are picking players that most other clubs have zero interest in anyway. Surely we can all live with that,

Plus it opens cap space up for Stringer which we desperately need. It's all intertwined.

Hawkins is a liability in big games. Offer him up and we could recruit what we need and keep Motlop.

Mids win games these days. Load up on quality ball users.
Play Tom as a CHF so he can't be continually double teamed and scragged and watch his output lift.
Like strangely enough it did when Buzza was playing as the deep forward in the final three games of the H&A season but which we went away from to play Stanley.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...e/news-story/fa1386d1e7e5b39e718ffccad70da05c

Jake Stringer confident of trade to Geelong, relationship with Western Bulldogs irreparable

JAKE Stringer has ruled out making up with the Western Bulldogs and is confident he can get to Geelong despite its lack of early draft picks.
But Stringer has quickly moved on mentally and will under no circumstances attempt to make up with the club and return there next season.
It has been made clear there is no way back for either party, with Stringer quickly turning his focus to slotting into another club with premiership hopes.
Geelong’s first pick is No.20, significantly inferior to Essendon’s pick 11, which could make a trade harder to arrange should he choose the Cats.
Stringer has spoken to Essendon and will soon discuss his future with Geelong, which is at the front of the queue to acquire him.
But his management is confident Geelong would be able to secure a deal that will satisfy the Dogs despite their lesser starting point.

I think we need to push the boat out. Would rather overpay him 200k more than you're willing than pay hundreds of thousands for guys that don't look like getting there.

Scooter Selwood has been an upgrade on Guthrie as a tagger, averages low twenties to high teens disposals just like Cam but had the highest average tackles per game in the league. Won more clearances than Cam in less games as well.
Menegola has shown when played in the guts he can rack up the ball, when played on the flank he does little and is an awful shot at goal. Wilts under pressure.
Blicavs seems like Viktor Navorski (The Terminal) in that he has no home. He can tag certain players but other get off him.
Guthrie. Badly mismanaged by not having one role or spot but didn't have a lot of impact.
Horlin-Smith. Not up to it. Middling man too good for VFL but is rather vanilla at AFL level.
Murdoch. Plodder who's only on the list and getting games as he has speed. A player his height should be able to contested mark. Danger can and he's shorter.
Motlop. Inconsistent and I suspect injured but credit to him bounced back hard after the Tigers final.
Lang. Routinely played out of position and may well leave.

Of that group I'm confident Scooter and Menegola are good enough and Blicavs I still think can improve and/or is required. Motlop I'd keep as he has X factor we lack. The rest aren't getting us to the level required.

With that in mind a guy like Rockliff who racked up over 6 clearances a game and nearly 6 tackles a game fits the bill. That's output worth taking a punt on, and in no way reminiscent of Crazy Vossy.

Just as a hypothetical and if we assume some decent injury runs to some players.

Bews Taylor Stewart
Tuohy Henderson C.Guthrie
Duncan S.Selwood Motlop
Ablett Hawkins Stringer
McCarthy Dangerfield Cockatoo
Smith Selwood Rockliff
Menegola Kolodjashnij Parfitt Blicavs

That's not even considering if we can or do get Devon Smith and I think that side is less flaky than the one we fielded last night.
That's actually a good line-up, but I reckon Zuthrie may even surpass C Guthrie as a defender next season, even with his slight frame. Zuthrie seems better in the air, and probably more clean with his disposals.

Wellsy chose wisely there on Zuthire, as he actually picked a player from the TAC that consistently polled in the Best for the entire season, while some of his other speculative picks have played some blinders but lacked consistency leading up to the draft.

Again, if we look at Menegola and Stewart, in both cases they were performing consistently in the best during their lead-up WAFL and VFL seasons; and they both seem to be good players at AFL level for such draft selections.

I just like it when we pick players that show the consistency leading into the draft, it just shows they have the football brains and can read the play. I mean players can be injured and overlooked, but I much prefer that we select those types that have shown consistency.

Areas we lack

- Key Defender (Lever, Allir, E.McKenzie, Hansen)
- Small Forward (Smith, Gryan Miers and Jack Higgins both in draft)
- Another Mid (Ablett, Rockliff, Balic)
- Second Key Forward (Stringer, Crameri)
Lever is leaving the #feederclub for cash at the Dees, E.Mac has re-signed with the Eagles, Allir won't go anywhere unless the Swans get a ridiculous offer and he has to agree to the trade as he is contracted from memory, and Hansen is a has-been.

I'd love us to have a crack at Rocky and at least ask about Balic.

Crameri can get stuffed too, do not want.

Areas we lack

- Key Defender (Lever, Allir, E.McKenzie, Hansen)
- Small Forward (Smith, Gryan Miers and Jack Higgins both in draft)
- Another Mid (Ablett, Rockliff, Balic)
- Second Key Forward (Stringer, Crameri)

We are fine for key defenders if anything we were playing Kolo on a wing this year as we were too tall. Next year we still have Henderson Taylor Kolo Gardner and House plus Blicavs can go back if we need it, it's plenty.

I agree on the key forward and small forward stuff for sure.

I get what people mean when they say it feels like a mercenary team. I want to see some more quality home grown draftees. All for one big trade but other than that lets get some young talent
We have them. They keep getting injured. Also, Stewart, Duncan, Lang, Guthrie, Gregson, Cockatoo, Guthrie x2, Bews are quality home grown talent.

We need players who are good when the whips are cracking, and I mean extremely good under pressure. My Carlton mates warned me that Zac Tuohy is simply a half-back with with a good kick who can run, and who gets exposed under pressure.

I've seen that now in 4 big games this year. Panics and lacks composure.

We need a change of leadership. It's been lacking in big games now for quite a few years. I know this won't sit well with people but I question whether Selwood is the right man to lead this club. I also think Scott can coach, (changed my mind) It's obvious now, but do we need a change of direction. He's unwilling to change our zone system and we're too handball happy for the pressure that finals football brings. It works in the normal season but fails in the heat of battle.

Dangerfield's field kicking lets us down as a midfielder. We need some hard-nosed mids who can extract, are good under pressure and use the ball well.

I'd love a Matt Crouch type.

Play Dangerfield forward and Ablett in the middle until Parfitt develops.

I'd trade Hawkins regardless of our lack of key forward options. Sounds strange and sounds like an overreaction but as a key forward he simply doesn't do enough, nor does he kick enough goals. how many bags has he kicked in his career?

I say that because teams are screaming out for a key forward and will over pay. We can get something decent in return ... maybe even a young Schache or McCartin and a decent pick.

Pull the plug on Smith, we don't need him with Parfitt, Gregson and McCarthy all available next year. the cost outweighs his ceiling and output.

Trade, delist, retired or leaving:

Stanley
Mackie
Menzel
Lonergan
Hayball
Cowan
Murdoch
Hawkins (I would as outlined)
Horlin-Smith
Ruggles
Thurlow

I'd keep:

Motlop (need his pace and skill)(will probably go)

Last chance:

Kolodjashnij
Lang
Black
C.Guthrie
Menegola
Blicavs

Can I add
OUT: Cats fans who bellow 'yer soft/yer useless/ har har har' at whatever passing player, rain beer on anyone unfortunate enough to be within earshot, while shuffling past with another round every 15 minutes, and top off their night out by abusing retiring players as losers ... (I won't repeat what was said about Lonergan but thank God it was challenged), all the while with bodies that last saw serious effort when coming down some poor unfortunate's birth canal, and minds that didn't survive the journey.

IN: More dedicated fans like the two ladies who turned up at the club at six am for the bus to Adelaide, then boarded the bus back to Geelong, having cheered and applauded throughout with the occasional quiet observation that we were a bit unlucky tonight. what champions.

But this might not be the right thread for those reflections ...

Our supporters have become entitled.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We need players who are good when the whips are cracking, and I mean extremely good under pressure. My Carlton mates warned me that Zac Tuohy is simply a half-back with with a good kick who can run, and who gets exposed under pressure.

I've seen that now in 4 big games this year. Panics and lacks composure.

We need a change of leadership. It's been lacking in big games now for quite a few years. I know this won't sit well with people but I question whether Selwood is the right man to lead this club. I also think Scott can coach, (changed my mind) It's obvious now, but do we need a change of direction. He's unwilling to change our zone system and we're too handball happy for the pressure that finals football brings. It works in the normal season but fails in the heat of battle.

Dangerfield's field kicking lets us down as a midfielder. We need some hard-nosed mids who can extract, are good under pressure and use the ball well.

I'd love a Matt Crouch type.

Play Dangerfield forward and Ablett in the middle until Parfitt develops.

I'd trade Hawkins regardless of our lack of key forward options. Sounds strange and sounds like an overreaction but as a key forward he simply doesn't do enough, nor does he kick enough goals. how many bags has he kicked in his career?

I say that because teams are screaming out for a key forward and will over pay. We can get something decent in return ... maybe even a young Schache or McCartin and a decent pick.

Pull the plug on Smith, we don't need him with Parfitt, Gregson and McCarthy all available next year. the cost outweighs his ceiling and output.

Trade, delist, retired or leaving:

Stanley
Mackie
Menzel
Lonergan
Hayball
Cowan
Murdoch
Hawkins (I would as outlined)
Horlin-Smith
Ruggles
Thurlow

I'd keep:

Motlop (need his pace and skill)(will probably go)

Last chance:

Kolodjashnij
Lang
Black
C.Guthrie
Menegola
Blicavs

Our supporters have become entitled.

There is some merit in some of that (I don't have time to respond to all of it now) but any suggestion of trading Hawkins is silly. Because of his age and his history of back injuries clubs will not trade what you want for him and to replace him with another key forward (which we would have to do as our key forward stocks are painfully thin) would cost 2 1/2 times as much and for that it would still be a key forward who is unproven or inferior to Hawkins. There is a reason why clubs don't trade A grade KPF's unless they are forced to because there is a short supply of them across the league and they always cost overs in trades. I would be focusing on getting our midfielders to kick the ball into the forward line properly and get our forwards to structure their leads properly to create separation way before I ever considered trading Hawkins.

There is some merit in some of that (I don't have time to respond to all of it now) but any suggestion of trading Hawkins is silly. Because of his age and his history of back injuries clubs will not trade what you want for him and to replace him with another key forward (which we would have to do as our key forward stocks are painfully thin) would cost 2 1/2 times as much and for that it would still be a key forward who is unproven or inferior to Hawkins. There is a reason why clubs don't trade A grade KPF's unless they are forced to because there is a short supply of them across the league and they always cost overs in trades. I would be focusing on getting our midfielders to kick the ball into the forward line properly and get our forwards to structure their leads properly to create separation way before I ever considered trading Hawkins.
I should have been more specific. I'd trade Hawkins If the deal was too good to refuse. For either Schache or McCartin I wouldn't hesitate.

I week.

I can't support a team of degenerates like Richmond, sorry.

Some choice. Tiger nuffies or West End sipping fruit tingle nuffies. Giant sinkhole at the G isn’t sounding too bad right now ;)

I should have been more specific. I'd trade Hawkins If the deal was too good to refuse. For either Schache or McCartin I wouldn't hesitate.

But you are not going to get a too good to refuse deal for him at his age so why bother? It's not improving the list to do that. And in any case I wouldn't put McCartin and his concussion issues or Schache and his question marks in the 'too good to refuse' basket.

any good midfielders not getting games at other clubs?
be worth an investigation there
we need depth in the midfield
therefore Rockliff will be the perfect recruit for us
next year Buzza will play more so forward line should improve, I like him to be like Pods.

trading Hawk is impossible
he is a marquee player for club profile, sponsorship etc

I think we need to see something other just a position or a role player. Its not what our most dire need is imo. We need a couple of hard and nasty guys who can run thru someone and go to bed at night and sleep the sleep of the innocent. We had it in the past ..whether it was Dasher or Mooney or Chappy or whoever ...
Our big guys are not threatening ,for eg. Smith is a FIFO worker..one week on one week off ...
whoever we bring in... we have enough "nice" footballers ...

Last edited:
Why do Geelong some how go soft when we trade our players.. yes i know were helping the player get where they want to, but F$#k them. Lets think of the club for once and get better vaule for the club for once

On SM-G925I using BigFooty.com mobile app

I'd compare our trading to our slow starts in games when we don't turn up to play. Same soft mentality. Hopefully one day we get tough at the trade table because at present I think we always get unders and pay well in overs.

I'd compare our trading to our slow starts in games when we don't turn up to play. Same soft mentality. Hopefully one day we get tough at the trade table because at present I think we always get unders and pay well in overs.
100% agree. I reckon other clubs love dealing with us after they sign the player from us they laugh and say we got a bargin... lets hope this year is different

On SM-G925I using BigFooty.com mobile app

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back