Rumour GFC 2017 Player Trading, Drafting, FA, Rumours, and Wish lists.

Who would you rather at the Cats?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would look at players who can replace scooter blicavs and menegola in the midfielders. Not winning anything until that happens. A shame we dont have the space for Rockliff.

Gregson and McCarthy are not the answer for our forward line. Neither are natural crumbers. Both try and have a good attitude but both lack talent and goal sense. I count one forward pocket on our entire list and thats not good enough. We need two more which we can find in the draft a youngster to develop and a mature 19-21 state league player such as milera from SA.

I would move menzel on. We cant afford to have another tall in the backline if he is playing. He is selfish and undisciplined drinking in adelaide after the game during the home and away season.

I would move stanley or abbott on. No point in having two middle aged rucks who offer very little

Hopefully keep motlop and no teams offer him a contract

Rock life if certainly one I want off our radar completely. He wins the ball but his disposal is peasantry, also injury ravaged as of late.

yeah scooters good midfield support, agree on the other two that they will never be premiership standard midfielders. would hold onto menegola as a depth player; i'd put blitz out on the market and see if anyone is keen to offer us anything. it wont happen while Scott is coach though.

Come on now, Menegola has had two years with us and each year, he's improved. His quiet games are where he is played out of his best position, because of team needs due to injuries.

If Ablett comes in, that role that Menegola was playing in the forward half goes to him. If Smith comes in, he takes a forward pocket role. Stringer takes Menzel's role. Menegola still is a required bench player who will get time in the midfield. There are things he does that are very very good - transition, marking and contest work. He will be able to find a spot in the team

Remember when CS was appointed. He had a plan to rebuild without sinking, this is what we are seeing. Topping up to stay relevant and profitable, while trying to develop the next generation core: Buzza, Cocky, Parfitt, Zuthrie, those guys. Hopefully they can put together ten to take the club onward.

Remember when CS was appointed. He had a plan to rebuild without sinking, this is what we are seeing. Topping up to stay relevant and profitable, while trying to develop the next generation core: Buzza, Cocky, Parfitt, Zuthrie, those guys. Hopefully they can put together ten to take the club onward.

Quite right. It wasn't just his vision either; he was required by the board through the CEO to do just that. On that measure he has been a success. Yes, there are problems with slow starts, too many injuries, playing poorly immediately after a bye and a low % of wins in finals.

Just on slow starts and inability to win after a bye (and almost always winning after the loss straight after a bye - bizarre) maybe something worth trying; send the team out with not only the responsibility to follow instructions etc but call on them to belt the opposition on the scoreboard. This current list is no where near the class of 2007 to 2011 but winning big should become the measure. Too often we scrape through with a 2 or 3 goal win when a real hiding was possible but we cruised in 3rd gear doing just enough to secure the win. The coaching staff should be demanding far more.

Come on now, Menegola has had two years with us and each year, he's improved. His quiet games are where he is played out of his best position, because of team needs due to injuries.

If Ablett comes in, that role that Menegola was playing in the forward half goes to him. If Smith comes in, he takes a forward pocket role. Stringer takes Menzel's role. Menegola still is a required bench player who will get time in the midfield. There are things he does that are very very good - transition, marking and contest work. He will be able to find a spot in the team
One week Menegola is a star and the next week hes a VFL player. Some peoples opinions of players change like the wind.

No it was supposed to be sooner. "Its as much about 2017 as 2011" he said.

He has kept us "contending" as in making finals.

The goalposts move constantly in any successful organisation.

To say "hey we are on track with our plan from 6 years ago" is not a path to success.

And we are not on track anyway. Duncan was the only young bloke who became an A grader. Hawkins too I suppose.

One week Menegola is a star and the next week hes a VFL player. Some peoples opinions of players change like the wind.

Exactly. People seem to forget he's only played 30 games. To average 24 touches and over 5 tackles a game and be that much of a threat running forward with his marking, when he only had 8 games under his belt before the start of the season, is pretty remarkable. He was far from our worst on Friday night too - 23 touches, 6 marks, 6 tackles, a goal and 105 DT points is not that bad in a side that got smashed.

Scooter is a gun. He alone has hardened us up a lot from last year.

Blicavs is the one I have the biggest question mark over. Yes he also played well against the Swans, but he's struggled for a couple of years now to find his spot and have a consistent impact. For all the talk about his size and mobility and how that makes him a really hard match up for other teams, he just doesn't get it done. With 110 games behind him now we should expect more. I suspect though that because he's a former B&F winner and seems to be a coach's favourite, he probably won't be going anywhere.

Exactly. People seem to forget he's only played 30 games. To average 24 touches and over 5 tackles a game and be that much of a threat running forward with his marking, when he only had 8 games under his belt before the start of the season, is pretty remarkable. He was far from our worst on Friday night too - 23 touches, 6 marks, 6 tackles, a goal and 105 DT points is not that bad in a side that got smashed.

Blicavs is the one I have the biggest question mark over. Yes he also played well against the Swans, but he's struggled for a couple of years now to find his spot and have a consistent impact. For all the talk about his size and mobility and how that makes him a really hard match up for other teams, he just doesn't get it done. With 110 games behind him now we should expect more. I suspect though that because he's a former B&F winner and seems to be a coach's favourite, he probably won't be going anywhere.

Menegola goes missing in first quarters against quality opposition. He was shocking first quarter again richmond and adelaide

If this were US sports, I would absolutely believe the club admin would be quite happy with staying in finals each year, so close to a championship they could taste it, but ultimately not. Popularity, ticket sales, merchandise sales, and everything would be ticking along nicely, the value of the team should the owner want to sell would be rising, and more importantly it would be easier to not give players pay raises. Championship can become banes.
I don't think this is what happening at the GFC, but I think they do need to identify the new core group of players that could bring a premiership, and play them together as much as possible. Not let them become a solid VFL team, like the last group did.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Rock life if certainly one I want off our radar completely. He wins the ball but his disposal is peasantry, also injury ravaged as of late.
Not quite 37/44 games the last two seasons and I think he missed games over fractured ribs and cheekbones in the past, which are just bad luck.
Over 100 tackles and over 100 clearances, if he leaves the Lions I will be pissed if we don't make him an offer or at least enquire.

Menegola goes missing in first quarters against quality opposition. He was shocking first quarter again richmond and adelaide

I'd remove the "in first quarters" part. When the pressure goes up against quality he disappears, or becomes a walking clanger machine.

I was wary all season after how horrible he looked in last year's Prelim. Fair enough, maybe it was a one off. First final and all that. Unfortunately he looked just as bad against Richmond and again the other night against Adelaide.

The reality could be - like I'm suspecting a lot of the team - he's a good player against moderate opposition, but not up to it against the best.

Probably because he doesn't start on the ground like last Friday.
Plays ok gainst GWS. Apart from Danger Sels and Duncan he's been our best accumulator.
Him and Danger are our only marking mids at around 190cm makes him valuable above others imo, wish we had more.

Really well made points Reg.
Menners is a fantastic addition to the team. After so few games you cannot expect his best every week. But even his worst games provide us with a strong bodied inside mid. Love him.
Scooter is outstanding and has made us tougher in their with his strength tagging and tackling.
Blitz would be imho someone who would get some interest at the trade table. I would rather he were traded than motters.
I think with ablett stringer hawk motters parfitt and mccarthy, adding danger and cocky at times, our fwd line would be incredibly dangerous. Motters would become the class again and our midfield would add menegola for a lot more of the time and not be utility driven.

He is a bit of bull getting the ball in and under. I like his work and he doesn't get much mention.

Go Cats!!!!!

That's a case of very selective use of stats. He had 7 clangers as well and only 11 effective disposals (same as Blicavs). The game was decided by our turnovers and he was a pretty major culprit.

He's got some strengths but he's also got some major weaknesses in his game (disposal and defensive transition). I think the players we're targeting suggests the club knows his limitations.

Probably because he doesn't start on the ground like last Friday.
Plays ok gainst GWS. Apart from Danger Sels and Duncan he's been our best accumulator.
Him and Danger are our only marking mids at around 190cm makes him valuable above others imo, wish we had more.

Butches the ball which is fine, danger does as well. The main issue is he gets caught out defensively. He is slow and only really has an impact when other begin to fatigue. He runs hard forward to take marks and hut the scoreboard but is poor when is comes to running to the backline

No it was supposed to be sooner. "Its as much about 2017 as 2011" he said.

He has kept us "contending" as in making finals.

The goalposts move constantly in any successful organisation.

To say "hey we are on track with our plan from 6 years ago" is not a path to success.

And we are not on track anyway. Duncan was the only young bloke who became an A grader. Hawkins too I suppose.

I do remember them saying 2017 was the year we'd start contending again. We needed to stay up to support membership to support the building of the next stages of the stadium. They never expected to be where they are hence leigh mathews saying not once mind you, that Paddy won them games they shouldn't have which then raised our hopes. I don't think we have been genuine second finishers just a little lucky or very very good management. As such we got thrashed in two prelims. Looks like the following are going: lang, menzel and mots. I wonder if bics or thurlow will go as well. Do they think more of him than Stanley? Or are they all kept as depth. Personally I don't want anyone to go and nor did I want Caddy to go but they have to go to make space for the ins. Just wouldn't be surprised if one more had to go to get the final piece. Cocky if he can stay fit surely will go midfield. But I wonder about the midfield.

Go Cats!!!!!

Sydney midfield not quality?

Exactly. Menegola is like a canary down the mine. If the team is off 5% then he's off and against good oppo he looks average but then they all do including Paddy and Joel. If the teams is up and about so is he. I'm not sure why he is getting any focus as a sub 50 gamer. Start of last year a bloke turned to me and said we needed to get games into the juniors and I put the following into that category;
1. Parfitt
2. Zuthrie
3. Kolo
4. Menegola
5. Parsons
6. Stewart
7. Simpson
8. Cocky
9. Buzza
10. Cunico
11. Narkle
12. Gregson

Its very difficult for juniors to alter games. Its astounding to me to see so many who have been blooded this year and last, and yet and yet and yet we finished second!!

Go Cats!!!!!

That's a case of very selective use of stats. He had 7 clangers as well and only 11 effective disposals (same as Blicavs). The game was decided by our turnovers and he was a pretty major culprit.

He's got some strengths but he's also got some major weaknesses in his game (disposal and defensive transition). I think the players we're targeting suggests the club knows his limitations.

I think its a little selective to focus in turnovers as well. His turnovers like allot of them came from pressure and a willingness if the adel players to get extra numbers to the oppo ball carrier time and time again where they caused the turnover. He often had no one to pass it to with three blokes coming at him.

Go Cats!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back