Rumour GFC 2017 Player Trading, Drafting, FA, Rumours, and Wish lists.

Who would you rather at the Cats?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd remove the "in first quarters" part. When the pressure goes up against quality he disappears, or becomes a walking clanger machine.

I was wary all season after how horrible he looked in last year's Prelim. Fair enough, maybe it was a one off. First final and all that. Unfortunately he looked just as bad against Richmond and again the other night against Adelaide.

The reality could be - like I'm suspecting a lot of the team - he's a good player against moderate opposition, but not up to it against the best.
He's our barometer player in that sense. But you're right - the knock on him is that he's just not quite clean enough when the heat's really, really on.

Butches the ball which is fine, danger does as well. The main issue is he gets caught out defensively. He is slow and only really has an impact when other begin to fatigue. He runs hard forward to take marks and hut the scoreboard but is poor when is comes to running to the backline

He goes in and gets the pill unlike alot of others, maybe that's why sometimes his disposal efficiency may suffer under pressure.
Defensively? ..he comes off HF
Butches the ball which is fine, danger does as well. The main issue is he gets caught out defensively. He is slow and only really has an impact when other begin to fatigue. He runs hard forward to take marks and hut the scoreboard but is poor when is comes to running to the backline

Footywire has him at 3.2 clangers per game.
Selwood 3.8 Danger 4.2. so there you go with that fallacy.
2017 coach value is above that of Joel Selwood.
You list him with fringe and reserve players?
I've seen him bullet pass like no one else we have, maybe danger only.

Last edited:
He goes in and gets the pill unlike alot of others, maybe that's why sometimes his disposal efficiency may suffer under pressure.
Defensively? ..he comes off HF

Footywire has him at 3.2 clangers per game.
Selwood 3.8 Danger 4.2. so there you go with that fallacy.
2017 coach value is above that of Joel Selwood.
You list him with fringe and reserve players?

It's not so much the clangers when getting the ball as the fumbles etc in those high pressure games. He just doesn't seem to be able to be a "one grabber" under pressure. There isn't a stat to demonstrate that to my knowledge.

Is it a coincidence that some of Menegola's best games came when he assumed the skippers role in the starting midfield?
I reckon his natural game is very similar to JSelwood.

Is it a coincidence that some of Menegola's best games came when he assumed the skippers role in the starting midfield?
I reckon his natural game is very similar to JSelwood.
He stopped short of putting his body on the line at one stage in the first quarter.

It's not so much the clangers when getting the ball as the fumbles etc in those high pressure games. He just doesn't seem to be able to be a "one grabber" under pressure. There isn't a stat to demonstrate that to my knowledge.

Look l would have loved him to have started better myself, he might've added 7 more for 30.
Unlike the smaller bodied mids we seem to have, him and Danger have the body size for both inside and outside games, able to pull down marks inside 50.
That's why with his stats he's regarded as one of our most valuable on Footywire.
Do some comparisons.
These types like Menegola and Danger are the ideal midfielder able to play multiple roles, stats prove it

Look l would have loved him to have started better myself, he might've added 7 more for 30.
Unlike the smaller bodied mids we seem to have, him and Danger have the body size for both inside and outside games, able to pull down marks inside 50.
That's why with his stats he's regarded as one of our most valuable on Footywire.
Do some comparisons.
These types like Menegola and Danger are the ideal midfielder able to play multiple roles, stats prove it

I'm happy to acknowledge that when he plays well he's a very valuable member of the midfield. In fact I'd say that when he does play well, we win. He's got some very positive attributes in that he's a great size, can take an overhead mark, is a reasonable kick for goal both on the run and as a set shot, and can win his own footy. It's just unfortunate that I think his class, or lack thereof, gets exposed too often in the really big games when there is pressure applied by the opposition. It's hopefully an issue that can be overcome with simulation of high pressure situations at training as well as perhaps some mental rehearsal work. But it may just be that this is his ceiling and he is incapable of giving us any more.

If Geelong are to take the next step and win a flag with this group we just can't have guys that fall apart in finals, regardless of how well they may play in the home and away.

Last edited:
Regarding the veterans list, I've just found this article from July and it might also explain why our salary cap might be a bit tighter next year than originally expected if we are now trying to fit in $400k that we were expecting to sit outside the cap:

SEVERAL clubs have been upset by an AFL decision to include the $400,000 veterans allowance within their 2017 total player payments (TPP).

Geelong and Sydney are among the clubs mystified by the call to include the allowance inside next year's $12.45 million salary cap.

With approximately $400,000 allocated to each club as part of the transition process to abolish the veterans allowance, the impact of the decision falls heaviest on clubs that previously had veterans.

Under previous TPP rules, clubs were able to pay $118,000 outside of the salary cap to an unlimited number of eligible players as an incentive to keep older players on their list.

Clubs needed to draw on their own funds to pay that extra figure.

But in 2014 the AFL put in plans to abolish the veterans allowance as part of its equalisation policies.

To help with the transition, the AFL awarded each club an extra $400,000 in their TPP to pay eligible veterans who had signed prior to the rule being scrapped.

To qualify for veteran status, players had to complete 10 years at the one club with players such as Geelong's Tom Lonergan, Sydney's Jarrad McVeigh, Bulldog Dale Morris and Fremantle's David Mundy veterans in 2016.

AFL.com.au is unclear what the contract situation is for such players in 2017 and beyond but are aware some clubs have had to rejig their salary cap projections due to the ruling.

One source also said that including the veterans allowance in the 20 per cent uplift that players secured in the CBA negotiations effectively reduces the total increase to players to below that figure.

While clubs have been able to manage the development, several are understood to be upset that they received no official indication of this decision from the AFL and the issue is expected to be raised at the next AFL CEOs meeting.

Several argue it creates a situation where the expansion clubs can pass on the full 20 per cent TPP increase to their players in 2017, while clubs who have had veterans effectively pass on a lower figure to their players as they need to pay their veterans money that previously sat outside the cap.

http://m.afl.com.au/news/2017-07-28/several-clubs-mystified-by-veteran-tpp-change

Last edited:
Ins: Impey, Smith, Stringer, Ablett, Parsons, 4 ND picks

Outs: Horlin-Smith, Menzel, Motlop, Lonergan, Stanley, Thurlow, Mackie, Hayball, Cowan

I'm acknowledge that when he plays well he's a very valuable member of the midfield. In fact I'd say that when he does play well, we win. He's got some very positive attributes in that he's a great size, can take an overhead mark, is a reasonable kick for goal both on the run and as a set shot, and can win his own footy. It's just unfortunate that I think his class, or lack thereof, gets exposed too often in the really big games when there is pressure applied by the opposition. It's hopefully an issue that can be overcome with simulation of high pressure situations at training as well as perhaps some mental rehearsal work. But it may just be that this is his ceiling and he is incapable of giving us any more.

If Geelong are to take the next step and win a flag with this group we just can't have guys that fall apart in finals, regardless of how well they may play in the home and away.

23 disposals 6 marks 1 goal DT106, and that's his bad/ordinary game.
I reckon you need to take a look at the contribution of others.
His current ceiling is 4th or 5th at the club in 1st true season of footy with us.
Who else has done that, only Touhey an established afl player.
Sam has done more than expected imo, only wish some others would pull the finger out.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Generally my wish list would include the introduction of some genuine leg speed; a forward with some height to give Hawk a chop out; and some players with some aggro and menace.

With regard to the last point, one of our strengths during the halcyon days was having players like Rooke, Moons and Scarlo hovering around the place. A lasting memory from this year was seeing Riley Knight tackle Sel then ruff him up and not one player came to even-up.

While on Sel, his message to members:

Dear

2017 was a rollercoaster of emotions.

There were some exhilarating highs and some emotional lows.

The opening of the new Charles Brownlow Stand felt like a re-birth for club and town alike, however the finish to the season hurts.

The feelings of disappointment following Friday night’s defeat will linger. Unfortunately, two heroes of the club, Andrew Mackie and Tom Lonergan didn’t get the send-off they deserved. But the values they stood for throughout their careers will not be lost from the playing group. These values are their enduring legacy. We look forward to seeing them off in style at next week’s Carji Greeves Medal Night.

There will be more farewells in the coming weeks and, as always, new faces will arrive.

Season 2017 brought eight debutants in the hoops, the second most in the competition. Each and every one of them played the Geelong way. The quality of their seasons this year will bring intrigue and excitement to next season.

2017 also brought a record Membership for our club. This is not something to be taken lightly. The atmosphere at Simonds Stadium home games lifted the players more than once this year. The seven games this season weren’t enough and we look forward to more teams travelling to our home in 2018.

This club evolved in 2017 and it will continue to do so for years and years to come.

We are all hurting at the moment but we must show resilience. We must continue to believe, continue to strive for the ultimate rewards.

On behalf of the board, the staff and players, thank you.

So stand proud and always remember: We Are Geelong.

Joel Selwood
Captain - Geelong Cats

Outs: Horlin-Smith, Menzel, Motlop, Lonergan, Stanley, Thurlow, Mackie, Hayball, Cowan

Please no to Impey.

The rest is fine though.

His current ceiling is 4th or 5th at the club in 1st true season of footy with us.
Sam has done more than expected imo, only wish some others would pull the finger out.

Did he hurt Adelaide? Stop looking at stats and look at the game. And please not dream team points! His fumbling was almost painful to watch and either resulted in us not winning clear possession when we were in a position to, or otherwise saw Adelaide sweep the ball away. Btw, I'm not saying he's on his Pat Malone in failing last Friday but he's one that is clearly capable of more, yet in a few finals now just hasn't come to the party.

Stanley, on the other hand, is just shithouse/

This is why with some players it is best to ignore the stats. He doesnt put on any defensive pressure and is slow as treacle. He also fumbles under pressure. Adelaide's half backs had a field day with him jogging behind them as they ran down the wing. It looked like he was moonwalking through quicksand at times he was that slow.

The game was lost in the first quarter and he was non existant, like in most finals he has played

Menegola goes missing in first quarters against quality opposition. He was shocking first quarter again richmond and adelaide

Sorry don't want to follow you around. But

I was at the SF v Sydney Live I could see Menegola was placed on the bench at the the start of the first and second quarters. It doesn't show in the edited replay but I am pretty sure he started on the bench Q1 again this Friday .

I think your observation is correct but the reason is not Menagolas inability to win the ball or get involved otherwise.

I have written here before that in the GWS home game (KP) Menegola was started in the middle and had match leading disposal figures of 11 at 1Q time. He finished with three goals too. He can play and when he goes past 50 games I might make global statements about his worth.

Would be an absolute disaster.

Out goes 4 best 22 players - including two of our best goal kickers - one player who will be best 22 in 2018 (Thurlow) and three players who at very least are depth (Stanley, GHS, Cowan).

In - a 34 year old, Stringer, the most overrated player on the trade table (Smith) and Port Adelaide's whipping boy.

Don't do it Geelong.

I don't think this will ever happen, but what I would love to see ideally.

Bring in stringer & Ablett.

Pass on Devon smith. ($600k potential bidding war with a bit of a bung knee) no thanks

Prefer to try keep Motlop instead of smith, hopefully on around 500k a year.

FA - Menzel can walk if he doesn't take the 1 year contract.

Trade out - GHS, Murdoch/Lang & BLICAVS.

I feel that blitz would have some decent currency (especially with JPK fresh in ppl's minds).

To me he just doesn't really have an effective role in our team other than 2nd ruck pinch hitting and the occasional tagging role on a big bodied slow midfielder.

I think his lack of leg speed when playing in the midfield hurts us & he hesitates in the contest with the ball as well.
I can't see him making it as a key position player down back or fwd.

Therefore, we could have buzza/Stanley as our second ruck who can at least play another role, fitting better into our structures. Or as Richmond have done, just play one solo ruck & then have someone pinch hit for 5 minutes a qtr like Grigg does. Also feel this would help us cover the ground better on wider grounds like the G.

I have no idea but would imagine Blitz would be on 400-500k? So would free up some cash & hopefully help us acquire Stringer. Maybe not directly to the Bulldogs, could be a 3 way trade.

Line up would look something like -

Fb- bews Hendo Stewart
Hb - tuohy taylor kolo
C - Duncan scooter Guthrie
HF - Cockatoo Stringer Menegola
FF - Ablett Hawkins Motlop
R - Smith Danger Selwood

I/c - buzza/Stanley, thurlow, parfitt/McCarthy, ...
I think we could trade one of Blicavs or Stanley.... But I feel that Blicavs like Cam Guthrie, are in this untouchable group. Stanley came across for Pick 21, and well, unless we get close to that, which is extremely unlikely, then he will stay also.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back