Rumour GFC 2018 Player Trading, Drafting, FA, Rumours, and Wish lists - PT4

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
For the Bailey Williams fans.....

Bailey Williams
Key Position Forward/Ruck | Dandenong Stingrays/Vic Country
17/04/2000 | 198cm | 95kg

The tall red head is hard to miss on the field, and once he gets going he is very hard to stop. He has played more forward than ruck, but in the first game for Vic Country, it was the other way around, with his unbelievable vertical leap making him hard to mark or match in the ruck or in attack. His agility and acceleration is fantastic for a big man, and he is so clean off the deck. He had a huge game against the Western Jets with a six-goal haul, and showed he can tear a game apart given the chance. I have him thereabouts in that top 10 conversation because of what he could be, but I can't see him slipping much beyond the first round given his size/athleticism combination.
Thanks DTC.

Who did the write up?

I have Williams as a top 15 talent in this draft and I wouldn't be shocked if he went a lot higher than people are projecting.

Thanks DTC.

Who did the write up?

I have Williams as a top 15 talent in this draft and I wouldn't be shocked if he went a lot higher than people are projecting.

It seems some people just can't separate talent and production. Talent is not the only thing recruiters go off because you can have all the talent in the world but if you don't produce on the field it doesn't count for much.

In relation to Williams his talent absolutely can't be questioned. Except his kicking for goal which is highly suspect and sometimes so poor they don't even spin. However, his issue is that with his size, strength and his aforementioned athleticism his has failed to dominate junior footy on a regular basis like he should have. Not only that he has gone missing on a regular basis.

No one is questioning his talent but the people on here who seem to love him so much just refuse to acknowledge his weaknesses and I just don't understand why.

I'm not exactly a Williams hater I just don't think he's top 10-20 material based on his output, a high end key forward with a senior body averages more than 1.7 goals a game against mostly skinny kids in the TAC Cup especially with their restricted zone rules.

It seems some people just can't separate talent and production. Talent is not the only thing recruiters go off because you can have all the talent in the world but if you don't produce on the field it doesn't count for much.

In relation to Williams his talent absolutely can't be questioned. Except his kicking for goal which is highly suspect and sometimes so poor they don't even spin. However, his issue is that with his size, strength and his aforementioned athleticism his has failed to dominate junior footy on a regular basis like he should have. Not only that he has gone missing on a regular basis.

No one is questioning his talent but the people on here who seem to love him so much just refuse to acknowledge his weaknesses and I just don't understand why.
If he IS that talented then most clubs would bet on being able to "fix" his other deficiencies.
He will also get fitter and stronger in an AFL club environment.
That sort of talent can't be taught, but skills can.

I see this article links the Hawks with their first pick at 53 with Bailey Williams...

Seriously, they would've had two years of absolute steals with Williams and Worpel if this happens.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-10-21/your-clubs-first-pick-whos-in-the-mix
I really liked Worpel last year and would have drafted him as high as 12.

Sam Hayes is a decent prospect who's lack of cardio cost him 20+ places in the last draft (ended up at 47)

Williams is superior to Hayes in just about every facet of football and I'm terms of a physical profile.

I can see Williams in that 10-30 bracket and I personally doubt that he will drop much further than the late second.

I've acknowledged that his goalkicking is average at best on multiple occasions.

He's a damn good prospect regardless and will probably be a ruckman at AFL level.

I find it strange that people are making claims that people are overlooking his weaknesses, no one has overlooked anything.

If he IS that talented then most clubs would bet on being able to "fix" his other deficiencies.
He will also get fitter and stronger in an AFL club environment.
That sort of talent can't be taught, but skills can.

Knowing how to find the footy is one of the skills that I believe really can't be taught. Either you read the game well or you don't. His issue is that he already has a better fitter stronger advantage at junior level than he will ever have in the AFL and doesn't dominate.

I've acknowledged that his goalkicking is average at best on multiple occasions.

He's a damn good prospect regardless and will probably be a ruckman at AFL level.

I find it strange that people are making claims that people are overlooking his weaknesses, no one has overlooked anything.

You never mention his lack of production or the fact that he routinely spills simple marks.

I'm not exactly a Williams hater I just don't think he's top 10-20 material based on his output, a high end key forward with a senior body averages more than 1.7 goals a game against mostly skinny kids in the TAC Cup especially with their restricted zone rules.

I think you have to look at the potential he has to play at the higher level and less on how the stats look at the lower level..sure accumulators at a lower level do it at a higher level etc.... I guess id say if we look at Schache or someone else who went well at the lower level ..one has to determine if they are capable of playing their game at the next level. ... Be worth having on the list but obviously no certain success... id agree that he is probably not top20 on his output.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

For the Bailey Williams fans.....

Bailey Williams
Key Position Forward/Ruck | Dandenong Stingrays/Vic Country
17/04/2000 | 198cm | 95kg

The tall red head is hard to miss on the field, and once he gets going he is very hard to stop. He has played more forward than ruck, but in the first game for Vic Country, it was the other way around, with his unbelievable vertical leap making him hard to mark or match in the ruck or in attack. His agility and acceleration is fantastic for a big man, and he is so clean off the deck. He had a huge game against the Western Jets with a six-goal haul, and showed he can tear a game apart given the chance. I have him thereabouts in that top 10 conversation because of what he could be, but I can't see him slipping much beyond the first round given his size/athleticism combination.

imo..if anyone gets him for a Sav type pick they are getting a real upside bargain

You never mention his lack of production or the fact that he routinely spills simple marks.
Will get better as he learns to manage and coordinate that big frame,he reminds me of a gangly pup that falls over tying to **** his leg on a post,I'm backing him in, I hope it's with us.

so how many list spots does this leave us?
3 traded (McCarthy, Thurlow, GHS), 7 delisted (Crameri, House, Gregson, Black, Gardner, Menzel, Murdoch, Hayball)

IN: Kreuger, Dalhaus, Rohan, Orkunbor, Picks 12, 50, 59, 60, 70, 87, 105

Looks like 39 spots taken without counting draft picks (including rookies in/rookies out)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back