Rumour GFC 2020 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt2

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
WARNING TO ALL VISITORS TO THE GEELONG BOARD. You are - for the most part - welcome to discuss the current list management & trading situation at Geelong. However, this is our board, so be respectful of the home board posters & don't inflame arguments (make your points succinctly and move on). And if you're just here to troll, then don't bother or you will be enjoying a holiday

Youd never get a straight top 10 upgrade for fog...maybe something like 8 30 51 for fog 15 and 20 or similar...then forward 8 and 30 for cameron..giants probably want more and fog probably wont net us that much.

The players we have brought in dictate what we intend to do next year. Yes we have lost Ablett but he didn't play for a fair chunk of the year. Fog played 6 games, played well enough to be reselected several times but in the end didnt hold his spot. Close is probably a more obvious replacement for ablett as we have seen Fog is better around the ball. So do we see him as best 22 in 2021. If for some reason we lose Parfitt for sure. Does Selwood play less again.
I could see him play but also easily missing and then we have a player that is OOC and probably worth little looking for chances and getting offers. Id at least listen to see what other offered for him, if its silly , he stays he is contracted. Can he be any more than just depth in 2021 if all are fit? If we plan to repeat the Selwood approach in 2021 as we think it worked then he is the an obvious replacement for him

What we really need is some balance to the list. Even with Blitz going back (which I’m not sold on given the new modern hybrid role he has which was a weapon) we have no proper Key Defenders. An injury and it could be fatal.

We have about 15 HHF/small mids on the list.

SDK looks good but ideally we need somebody a fraction older now. I’d be exploring names like Jarrod Brander, Sam Taylor, Jack Paine, Oscar Mac Donald, Allir Allir, Chris Burgess, Caleb Graham, Sam Durdin.

All those are different costs and quality but if it meant a 2nd Rd pick and or jettisoning off an Atkins or Close then I’m all for it for some of them.

What we really need is some balance to the list. Even with Blitz going back (which I’m not sold on given the new modern hybrid role he has which was a weapon) we have no proper Key Defenders. An injury and it could be fatal.

SDK looks good but ideally we need somebody a fraction older now. I’d be exploring names like Jarrod Brander, Sam Taylor, Jack Paine, Oscar Mac Donald, Allir Allir, Chris Burgess, Caleb Graham, Sam Durdin.

All those are different costs and quality but if it meant a 2nd Rd pick and or jettisoning off an Atkins or Close then I’m all for it for some of them.
I do like the idea of getting Oscar McDonald for a stop gap for another year or 2 while SDK develops some more size

I do like the idea of getting Oscar McDonald for a stop gap for another year or 2 while SDK develops some more size

Oscars very average.

His brother would be better if his body wasnt cooked at least he has played high level quality footy.

Don't hate the idea.

Brander ... a classic highly rated youth that may not or may not become
STaylor..... If fit , has had issues..and we could get him for a R2... go for it. Would have been a perfect side deal if they had taken comp
Paine....... After the final V us I suspect he is not going anywhere
OMD........ I think he is going to be delisted
AA.......... Sydny will not release
Not sure on the others

whats happening to Petty at Melb ..he was a kid I liked at the champs.

Oscar McDonald would make Kolo and Henry look like Scarlett and Taylor.

VFL standard at best.

I think Narkle wants to stay and when the list sizes are out he’ll know where he’s at.
Constable on the other hand is very intriguing
I think the telling thing on both those guys it's that there's reports of interest in Narkle, but we keep hearing the he wants to stay & Geelong want him that stay, but at the moment he's a victim of being out of contract & the unknown of list sizes

With Constable he has the security of a contract for next year, and though both parties are open to a trade (at the right price), has there actually been any interest from opposition clubs? I know some on here rate Constable highly but with the silence from opposition clubs, it feels like that says a bit about where he's at & an indication that Constable isn't rated as highly by opposition list managers & coaches. Even just 3 or 4 teams circling for his services I feel would give more weight to the idea of where we think he's at, while no serious interest gives a better idea of where he's currently at

I wouldn't be surprised to see him at a new club next year, but if that's too happen I'm leaning towards it being via a trade made on late Wednesday or Thursday, as it looks low priority on the scheme of things

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Are any/many of you folks deeply concerned about the clubs list strategy?

Snake how often do you think we have been told by opposition supporters that we are heading for a fall and its going to be down..etc.. There was one particular North supporter that was very confident that were headed for the glue factory while Norths future was rosey.

To some degree we have selected the road we are on.. there is no getting off now... but there is also a recognition that unless you gain a lot of early picks from somewhere that a pure draft stadgem if questionable in a FA marketplace.

We are in a Dangerflag era.. where we will continue to add while the clubs still see it as the right appraoch. The market place will probably tell us when no one wishes to come , its time to look at alt methods.

Meanwhile we have picked 30 odd names thru draft since 2016.. the kids that are good enough will get games

Are any/many of you folks deeply concerned about the clubs list strategy?

You lot can keep Higgins if that’s what you’re referring to.

Otherwise, picking up Isaac Smith for free and trading for a player who won a Coleman 12 months ago seems like a pretty sound strategy to me.

I wouldn't swap with your clubs strategy

It's not a competition between North & Geelong for me mate, I just wanted to see if my own views about Geelong were in sync with many cats fans.

It appears that's not the case.

It's not a competition between North & Geelong for me mate, I just wanted to see if my own views about Geelong were in sync with many cats fans.

It appears that's not the case.

There are plenty including myself that would hav been happy to go hard and return to the draft. if we could get early single figure picks.. but the comp is very different to what it was 20 years ago. There is lessening degree of players staying at clubs drafted.Lets take you P2... do you take McDonald? If you do satnd by for two years of absolute concentrated effort to get him back to WA.

There is a quicker rebuild oppinuty thru FA etc. Id say look at StKild they have shown that within a couple of years they have changed there club back to a destination.

To rebuild thru draft is expensive .. as it cost you a lot of wins, its costs from a market pov and it takes too long with no certainty.
Where as using players for a short period like Smith and perhaps Higgins is very quick return.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back