Rumour GFC 2022 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists PT2

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
And Stanley is still just 31 until December.
And don't forget P Dangerfield. He'll play a lot of footy inside 50m in the next few years and could be very handy sitting deep and occasional bursts on the ball. With the likes of Bruhn, Bowes and possibly Clark vying for midfield minutes I think C Scott will have a plan for #35. He's mentioned a few times over the years the Dangerfield / Leigh Matthews comparison / potential later in their careers.

Not so bullish on Neale. Think he goes back to WA
Neale is a lead and mark type. Hasn't smarts that I notice yet. Ill wait for further development. When out of position can't read the situation to bring the ball to the ground. Is he athletic? As for Simpson. He is robotic and doesn't have a high skill level and slowish. Tom De Koning. Doesn't get played every week. These players are talked up on posts. Why ?

Don’t get all the concern about future retirements, by the time they all go the young bucks will be in their prime and I reckon there’s about a dozen of them. Selwood hard to replace yes but he wasn’t the player he was which makes it easier. Hawkins, Danger, Cameron and Blitz will be the toughest to replace but they’ve all got good footy left in them for a while IMO.

Smith, Duncan, Tuohy, Stanley, Rohan, Bews, Guthrie and Menegola will be just a blip as good as they’ve all been. They will be replaced organically thru the draft before it’s compromised and with free agency no doubt.

That’s 3 a year, a dozen spread over possibly 4 years. This trade period has made it that much easier. #7 and hopefully Conor McKenna (the quietness around him has me thinking he’s already on board) will only add to that.

Great time to support this great club.
Duncan and Guthrie will be a blip….brutal!

Fair pov

Why?

Money?
Opportunity?
Home sick?
Opposite view because you can?
Cats side not good enough?
Does not like Geelong region to live?
Hunch?

Curious as to the reasoning.

I think its a real risk losing him - the 1 year deal is a show me deal for sure -
IMO he wants more games and thats fair and he wnats more $$ - both reasonable. And we need to play him. I think the 1 yr was to enable him to get GFC attention and say ill stick fat for 2023 but show me as well.

Its smart by him and his management.

Hope it plays out our way. Needs games.

Go Catters
When Neale got his first AFL game, his family were very very appreciative of what the club had done for him.

We always seem to be linked to whoever is the Falcons best player.
Even though it’s 2007 I think back to then and apparently we were going to take Boak with pick 7. Which would have been a good pick. But Port huger in before us. Plans scuttled. Instead we take a bloke called Selwood.

I see this playing out this year. We get obsessed with Clark because he is a local gun. If he does get picked before 7 it’s ok. You never know what you might get instead. But if Clark is there and we get him all good. But it’s not the be all and end all.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Duncan and Guthrie will be a blip….brutal!
Only because of how we have developed and recruited the next generation, and how strong and settled out leadership is on and off the oval.

Very little talk of how losing Selwood is going to affect us too greatly.

Neale is a totally different type of forward to Hawkins, think he's alot more suited to be the one that ultimately replaces Cameron to be honest, going to have to change the way we play if you want him to slot into Hawk's position.

Neale is a totally different type of forward to Hawkins, think he's alot more suited to be the one that ultimately replaces Cameron to be honest, going to have to change the way we play if you want him to slot into Hawk's position.
I think he is better closer to goals. I don't think he has the creativity to play up the ground and get the loose ball like Cameron. Cameron plays more like a mid-sized player, Hawkins plays big. Neale is a different type of Key Forward to Hawkins, but is more a lead up and straight lines type. He is quick Neale for his size, but probably not the most agile.

Tbh, I think we have been spoilt with Hawkins for over a decade, and it's going to be a rude shock when we have to fill that position. Probably won't see another Key Forward again that good.

I think he is better closer to goals. I don't think he has the creativity to play up the ground and get the loose ball like Cameron. Cameron plays more like a mid-sized player, Hawkins plays big. Neale is a different type of Key Forward to Hawkins, but is more a lead up and straight lines type. He is quick Neale for his size, but probably not the most agile.

Tbh, I think we have been spoilt with Hawkins for over a decade, and it's going to be a rude shock when we have to fill that position. Probably won't see another Key Forward again that good.

I think Neale has all the attributes to be a very , very good KPF.
His skills are first class but he's still young and will benefit enormously from another preseason or two. Once his core is developed and he has a few extra kgs I think his form will pop !
He seems to really enjoy the Club so it's probably down to opportunity as he lives and breathes footy.
In terms of playing style I think he's in the Tom Lynch, Ben King type mould which won't be too shabby :thumbsu:

I think whoever takes Hawks spot once he retires will mean a tinkering in game style will occur. You can't just replace the best 1v1 forward player of the last decade. And to the people who are saying Neale isn't as smart as Hawk is just ridiculous. Hawk is probably the smartest forward in the game and Neale has only just finished his second season. When I watch Neale play I just think he has all the same traits as the King twins. Is he at there level rn? Hell no. But with hard work and the right people around him that is his ceiling imo.

He averaged 2 goals in the vfl this year in a team which had 5+ changes almost every week. I expect our vfl team this year to be a lot stronger next year and thus his output to further increase.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Neale is certainly not just a kick and mark type; in fact he has a great tank, great athleticism and while not as mobile as Cameron will at least match Hawkins for movement. He ran for us in the GF sprint and acquitted himself well.

It's essential he gets the opportunity next year and I think he will as we rest Stanley, Blicavs and maybe Hawkins.

Neale is certainly not just a kick and mark type; in fact he has a great tank, great athleticism and while not as mobile as Cameron will at least match Hawkins for movement. He ran for us in the GF sprint and acquitted himself well.

It's essential he gets the opportunity next year and I think he will as we rest Stanley, Blicavs and maybe Hawkins.
2023 shapes as a very interesting year. Balance the needs of giving the team the best chance to win Vs blooding those on the fringes Vs playing those we traded in this year.

# Neale - I still think is a project player. Not sure anyone (including the club) is convinced he's the answer post Hawkins. Next year a big year for him.
# Esava - the club fought of interest elsewhere and demanded he stay. If he plays less than 10 games in 2023 I think he's out once contract expires at years end. Personally, I can't see how he plays 10 games unless we're hit hard by key position injuries.
# Simpson - unless delisted / relisted / cut completely, I can't see how he gets more than a few games. If Geelong bring in Bruhn Bowes and possibly Clark, then Simpson is sliding down the pecking order. 2 years ago you would have thought he was the one to step up in the midfield when Joel retired.
# Menegola / Parfitt - don't think both play in the same side. Not because they're similar players. But I just don't think there's available spots.

Lots of variables. But there's half a dozen players on the fringes who are seriously playing with their careers on the line.

Only because of how we have developed and recruited the next generation, and how strong and settled out leadership is on and off the oval.

Very little talk of how losing Selwood is going to affect us too greatly.
Agree wholeheartedly with your second line. To me, most other sides in the 8 this year have improved their starting line ups next year, a couple drastically (Lions & Tigers), where the Cats starting line up has been weakened a tad, unless one of the newbies grows a leg on their exposed form this year.

The club has done an unbelievable job setting themselves for the future, but in 2023 I find it hard to see improvement on hardly anyone off the back of this finals series and we have just lost the greatest leader we have ever seen! I mean Kolo played like one of the games elite defenders last two games, how do we improve on that!!!

Still in it up to our eyeballs next year having said that 😍😍😍

I agree with pretty much all of JJ above, except I'm fairly confident Neale will make it - I love the enthusiasm he show on the field and the evident connection with his team mates. He is a project player in the sense he was pick 33 but he has several great attributes.

Sadly I think Simpson will struggle in the contest for mid-field spots - the competition is now very keen even with Selwood going.

Parfitt will get games next year but is now among a large group vying to prove themselves indispensable. You can never question his effort.

It's curious thought but there might well be a significant difference between our Round 1 team next season and the combination we take in to the finals.

I dig Phillipou's confidence in saying if he had the #1 pick that he'd pick himself.

Seems like a FIGJAM, lol - part of the reason that I'm not interested. Also know that we hate those types, so can't see us grabbing him

The current forward line is the best in the league. While we need to think about life after Hawkins the player that takes his spot won’t be able to provide anything close to what Hawkins has.
But we already have a good group of goal scorers that will continue for a while. So the bigger body to replace Hawkins can be a player like Esava or Neale who provides a target and some ruck work. But the overall forward line will still have good scoring options.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back