Rumour GFC 2023 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt II

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kornes said he would laugh at us if we got nothing in the Ratugolea saga and he went to the draft?

Uhh hang on isn’t it Port that want him? Wouldn’t it be us laughing at them like we did in 2007? It’s on them to get him, not like we will have him next year anyway.
Do we really care for the pick they are offering in a shallow draft?

Did Mackie sledge Kornes in 07? Still upset.

I wouldn't pay any attention to Kane Cornes. He is not well-regarded at PAFC.

If Sav goes into the ND and Port is happy to use #25 on him in it... Surely they end up adding more to the offer to negate the risk of it all going pear-shaped and them missing out altogether.

#25 is aleady goners in there mind in getting him in a trade or ND.

I can't see them not adding a bit more to make it an absolute sure thing... not to mention to actually make Sav feel like they want him.

There is lots of time until the draft and if they don't get the trade done so many things can happen and change.

I do expect a deal will get done... But if it doesn't I actually think Port has let Sav down massively.

We are copping heat for not trading a player we want because people see the trade as "fair"... how about Port actually get some of the players they want over the line.

Can only work with what you got and there's no one on the market

A lot of players have moved so there is some market

I'm confident we have returning players that missed large parts of this year to bring in, just worried it's not as much as others

I find this whole trade period interesting. Where we are being touted as being stubborn and obtuse (mainly by our mate Kano) for holding out for what we believe Sav is worth, what the hell is Port doing? They've had 4 blokes (Sav, BZT, Sweet and Soldo) come out and say they want in but Port don't want to give up anything resembling the player's value in return. Maybe Port are the problem here instead of us?

A lot of players have moved so there is some market

I'm confident we have returning players that missed large parts of this year to bring in, just worried it's not as much as others

None of those players are of the same calibre as last year. There's a reason that Sav is the most talked about player this trade period.

I find this whole trade period interesting. Where we are being touted as being stubborn and obtuse (mainly by our mate Kano) for holding out for what we believe Sav is worth, what the hell is Port doing? They've had 4 blokes (Sav, BZT, Sweet and Soldo) come out and say they want in but Port don't want to give up anything resembling the player's value in return. Maybe Port are the problem here instead of us?
To be totally fair, there's probably a domino effect at play. Get pick X as part of one deal and we'll immediately turn it around for another deal, etc.

Would make sense for them to hold out for something extra from Essendon for BZT/Duursma deal, then immediately give it to us as part of the Esava deal.

To be totally fair, there's probably a domino effect at play. Get pick X as part of one deal and we'll immediately turn it around for another deal, etc.

Would make sense for them to hold out for something extra from Essendon for BZT/Duursma deal, then immediately give it to us as part of the Esava deal.
There is no doubt that the Domino effect is a thing.

Essendon have done ok this trade period... Goldy for fre, McKay for free, Gresham for free, If they actually do want Duursma just pay up and get the party started.

Not that they owe us, Port or anyone anything though... Just stating that they are well ahead this trade period.

If they are holding things up then they should be copping heat... not us.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah fair call. Would really depend on what they value the most as well. Should it get down to an hour before the close of the trade period and nothing has happened, then they will need to make something happen otherwise they end up with nothing

Caddy measured in at 193cm with very long reach. Could well end up 195cm
Yeah he is a Charlie Curnow type imo...

How good he can be, only time will tell, but he is clearly built and plays similar to Curnow from what I have seen.

Whilst he is no monster there is nothing wrong with that in today's modern game.

Players that I wouldn't have minded on the cats list

Stephens
Doedee
Jordon

No stars but depth and role players, again not saying we've missed out but seeing Swans especially target specific needs makes me wonder what the cats plans are

And which game changing superstars have we missed on in your opinion?

Stephens
Doedee
Jordon

No stars but depth and role players, again not saying we've missed out but seeing Swans especially target specific needs makes me wonder what the cats plans are

Tom doo didn't he go too bris.
Jordon to swans

Haven't landed any of those four blokes yet either. They'll likely all get done but yep, let's not pretend they've been super magnanimous with their dealings so far. Old mate Kane would rather have people believe it's all of Geelong, Richmond, Footscray and Essendon holding things up rather than his little darlings who just so happen to be the common denominator. :drunk:

Stephens
Doedee
Jordon

No stars but depth and role players, again not saying we've missed out but seeing Swans especially target specific needs makes me wonder what the cats plans are?

To play players we already have in positions of need? Perhaps recruit DFA's like Bianco, or draft mature agers like Van De Heuvel as defensive cover?

As it stands, next year we'll have all of these young players to give decent gametime to, without bringing in list cloggers for picks we don't have, like Stephens or Jordon (Doedee the only one I agree on, but we are stacked for medium defenders and he wasn't interested in us):

Jhye Clark
Tanner Bruhn
Mitch Knevitt
Ollie Henry
Oisin Mullin
Shannon Neale
Ollie Dempsey
Toby Conway
Ted Clohesy
Pick 8

People keep forgetting we did our work in '21 and '22 via the draft and trade periods, so bringing in more players that pushes them further down the order, is just a waste. We rate these kids highly and there's a lot of them now + a lot of good veterans still on the list.

After last year, this trade period was always going to be extremely quiet. We traded out of this draft completely except for the 1st round, and brought in 4 players we thought would be important in our future build - Clark, Bowes, Bruhn and O. Henry.

Our list without bringing in anyone this trade period, is still actually pretty deep with the young talent we have high hopes for. At a minimum, this is what I would see as the club's outlook:

B: Bews, SDK, J. Henry
HB: Stewart, Kolo, Zuthrie
C: Holmes, T. Atkins, Bowes
FO: Stanley, Danger, C. Guthrie
HF: O. Henry, J. Cameron, Miers
F: Rohan, Hawkins, Stengle
INT: Blics, Close, Duncan, Tuohy
Sub: Bruhn

Depth -

O'Connor
Parfitt
Knevitt
Dempsey
S. Neale
Conway
J. Clark
Mullin
Clohesy
Pick 8 (if we keep it)

So 33 players over the course of the year who could fit into 23 spots. Adding more speculative depth onto that list just costs other players who we have higher hopes for internally.

All in the AFL world are so used to us being 'active' - including our own supporters - that they forget we absolutely dominated trade period last year, so a down year this year is inevitable.

TL; DR: Rather us bring in late speculative picks for very little cap, and do nothing else in such a crap draft/trade year, instead of bringing in more expensive players for picks we don't have, who might not even be better than the developing kids we already have.

Last edited:
Yeah he is a Charlie Curnow type imo...

How good he can be, only time will tell, but he is clearly built and plays similar to Curnow from what I have seen.

Whilst he is no monster there is nothing wrong with that in today's modern game.

I read an assessment by someone (can't remember who), that said Caddy was fearless last year, flying into packs and so on. Apparently after he fractured his leg he lost that aggression.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back