Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Ask and we'll try our best to assist - so here's 2024 Provisional AFL Draft Order

As normal, would like to acknowledge & thank Lore for creating this, keeping it up to date and making it available for all users on BF to use and keep track of the picks ahead of the upcoming draft

I'll also sticky this post to ensure it's easily accessible for discussion of our hypothetical trader

Our first round selections generally SUCK anyway.. We have had very little luck with those..

23 - O'Sullivan ? Unknown
22 - Clark ? Unknown
19 - Cooper Stephens - Awful pick
18 - J Clarke - GONE HOME
14 - Nakia Cockatoo - Injury prone, never met potential
13 - Darcy Lang - DUD
12 - Jackson Thurlow - Injured DUD
10 - Billie Smedts - DUD
09 - Dan Menzel - SUPER injury prone.

Our traded 1st round picks -
2022 - Pick 18 for Tanner Bruhn
2020 - Traded our 2021 first pick for pick 20, which we used on Max Holmes.
2020 - 13, 15 and 20 for Jeremy Cameron
2015 - Traded our 2016 1st rounder for Lachie Henderson
2015 - Pick 9 for Dangerfield
2004 - Picks 12 and 16 for Brad Ottens

Trading our first rounders, however, have been extremely successful...

I'd trade Billie Smedts and Jackson Thurlow for Bailey Smith any day of the week..

You missed SDK in 2019 and Holmes in 2020 - really, since 2014 our first-round picks have been pretty good. Cooper Stephens the only real blunder, with Georgiades taken two picks later.

Losing Jordan Clark wasn't ideal but we used that pick on Conway so it might turn out alright.

2023 - Connor O'Sullivan - pick 11
2022 - Jhye Clark - pick 8
2020 - Max Holmes - pick 20
2019 - Cooper Stephens - pick 16
2019 - SDK - pick 19
2018 - Jordan Clark - pick 15

It very clearly DOES make it worth less. I don't understand how you don't understand that.

Pick 15 gets the 15th best player in the draft (in theory at least). Pick 25 DOES NOT get the 15th best player, it gets the 25th best player, who is clearly worth less. How the 24 players before that were taken is irrelevant, the point is that they WERE taken before then and so are clearly rated higher than whoever is available at pick 25, at least by the clubs that took them.

If the pick is pushed out by FA compensation or priority picks, those are not tied to specific players, they're simply picks in the open draft and the clubs holding them will take the best player available at that point... which is one less available player for us at pick 25. Which makes our pick that much less valuable.

If the pick is pushed out by F/S, it's because someone has bid on the F/S prospect presumably because he's the best player available at that pick. AGAIN taking a player off the table that we then don't have the ability to pick at 25, AGAIN making pick 25 less valuable.

It's pretty simple.
FA and priority picks you can say affect your pick but F&S and Academy ones not really

Below is purely an example

Geelong has pick 15 before any academy/ F&S picks

Crows bid at pick 2 for Daicos and then pick what ever player at the pick once it is matched Geelong's pick is pushed out to 16

Freo bid at pick 6 for Ashcroft and pick another player again Geelong's pick is pushed out to 17

Add 3 more players for F&S and academy bids and Geelong's pick is now out to 20.

That is 5 players taken off the board that Geelong was never going to be able to pick which leaves them with the best available at that pick what ever it be 15 or pushed out to 20/25/30 it doesn't matter.

In no world was any top 18 F&S or Academy pick actually on the board for anyone except the team who they are the F&S from or an academy player for them.

N Daicos was only ever going to Coll, JUH (due to bullshit) was only ever going to the Dogs, Ashcroft to Bris etc etc they were never on the board.

Now due to the way matching works early picks get pushed back but later picks can come in a lot depending on what picks are used to match.

Either way the whole draft system needs an overhaul or it is fast becoming pointless.

How they could fix or at least un-**** the draft somewhat has already been stated in this thread.

1 get rid of FA compensation
2 stop giving priority picks for clubs ****ing up and let them sink or swim
3 adjust the DVI for F&S and Academy players so you actually have to use good picks to match

You missed SDK in 2019 and Holmes in 2020 - really, since 2014 our first-round picks have been pretty good. Cooper Stephens the only real blunder, with Georgiades taken two picks later.

Losing Jordan Clark wasn't ideal but we used that pick on Conway so it might turn out alright.

2023 - Connor O'Sullivan - pick 11
2022 - Jhye Clark - pick 8
2020 - Max Holmes - pick 20
2019 - Cooper Stephens - pick 16
2019 - SDK - pick 19
2018 - Jordan Clark - pick 15
Correct the myth that we never pick anyone decent with a first round pick hasn't been true for almost a decade

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I am still yet to see who Martin would replace in our forward line.

They are better over the last few years and can actually stay on the park.

So unless we are getting him for depth or as others stated a different role i don't see it.
It wasn’t a serious comment
It was trolling

I am still yet to see who Martin would replace in our forward line.

They are better over the last few years and can actually stay on the park.

So unless we are getting him for depth or as others stated a different role i don't see it.
Who ever said he’d replace someone in our forward line??
Highly skilled players tend to be more adaptable to playing various roles.
You’d be thinking the powers that be see 2-3 different positions or roles in mind for JM to fulfill.
What they are. I can only imagine they'd be all over the park.

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back