Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 1

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

They've just signed Larkey so that's something

Its going to be tough for them..unless they can become competitive. Thing is tehy have a lot of young talent. They do not need more picks...they probably need some sort of soft cap assistance to get extra coaching.

But its a ruthless comp. Its like a David Attenborough special .... "The competition of survival" ..and the weak straggler that is limping out the back of the pack will be targeted.

Someone will come for Zurhar and who can blame him... and there will be players that if they get a chance will get out of there.

Its going to be tough for them..unless they can become competitive. Thing is tehy have a lot of young talent. They do not need more picks...they probably need some sort of soft cap assistance to get extra coaching.

But its a ruthless comp. Its like a David Attenborough special .... "The competition of survival" ..and the weak straggler that is limping out the back of the pack will be targeted.

Someone will come for Zurhar and who can blame him... and there will be players that if they get a chance will get out of there.

The whole equalisation policy for me is just wildly at odds with reality. The draft as it is is fine and salary caps are crucial, but coaching is a massive leg up for good sides.

The thing that needs change is the soft cap. North has spent it all on Clarko and has no money for the type of people that make a footy system work: development coaches, oppo analysts etc.

The comparison I think of is say you walk into North as the forwards development coach. Every forward on your list bar Shiels, Simpkin, and Zurhaar is going to be on your rotation and you need to go over their footage, assess, provide feedback etc. Shiels is the only player who can be an on field coach.

Now think of a development forwards coach at Geelong. The list of guys you don't need to worry about developing is basically the starting forwards minus Henry. He gets to spend all his time working on Henry, Mannagh, Wiltshire, Neale, Foster etc. He has a list half as long and can spend twice as much resources on the kids.

If you extend to oppo analysis resources, if your team can walk in wins against a big list of teams then the teams you can do the work on is smaller.

Handing out draft picks to struggling clubs is silly. They need extra in soft cap. It is the only way

The whole equalisation policy for me is just wildly at odds with reality. The draft as it is is fine and salary caps are crucial, but coaching is a massive leg up for good sides.

The thing that needs change is the soft cap. North has spent it all on Clarko and has no money for the type of people that make a footy system work: development coaches, oppo analysts etc.

The comparison I think of is say you walk into North as the forwards development coach. Every forward on your list bar Shiels, Simpkin, and Zurhaar is going to be on your rotation and you need to go over their footage, assess, provide feedback etc. Shiels is the only player who can be an on field coach.

Now think of a development forwards coach at Geelong. The list of guys you don't need to worry about developing is basically the starting forwards minus Henry. He gets to spend all his time working on Henry, Mannagh, Wiltshire, Neale, Foster etc. He has a list half as long and can spend twice as much resources on the kids.

If you extend to oppo analysis resources, if your team can walk in wins against a big list of teams then the teams you can do the work on is smaller.

Handing out draft picks to struggling clubs is silly. They need extra in soft cap. It is the only way
But how would that be policed? A good team could fall down the ladder get a soft cap raise which would have to be managed over years as you can’t just take it off them as soon as they rise above the ladder ….you could get a top 8/4 team with a larger soft cap over their rivals

.recipe for disaster

Perkins looking to make his way down the highway too.

Just get all the boys home!

I have a mate that has links to some ITK people at the club. Doesn’t usually message me too often about this stuff but with all the talks about Holmes we had this arvo he let me know of another interesting tidbit.

Perkins agent asked to meet with Cats people recently.
Very interesting that he hasn’t re-signed since Twomey swore up and down that Perkins isn’t going anywhere. Hmmmmmm!
Didn’t elaborate if it was in the off-season or during the season just that it did happen, and we know Geelong have certainly asked the question before.

If I had to guess, I’d say just that there have just been talks, that’s it. I’m assuming Perkins agent is using the threat of Geelong to get Matt Rosa and his minions at Dons HQ to give Perkins a PHAT contract $$$$
Same thing they did with Parish.

If I had to guess, I’d say just that there have just been talks, that’s it. I’m assuming Perkins agent is using the threat of Geelong to get Matt Rosa and his minions at Dons HQ to give Perkins a PHAT contract $$$$
Congrats to Perkins on his upcoming 6-year mega contract with the Dons.

They be giving them out like lollies over there.

Exactly what I was thinking, how are they planning to re-sign 15 out of contract players with Perkins alone commanding a decent salary. They’re gonna drive themselves into cap hell.

Meanwhile, rumoured Holmes signed for 4 Years / $750k per year.
Absolute bargain and once again another win for Wells/Mackie

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Perkins is good. Where's our big fish. Where's the Dangerfield or Cameron.
Probably Harley Reid whenever he's OOC.

You can't land the big fish ever year, particularly when they're not actually available.

Look at last year for instance, who was the biggest name? Lachie Shultz? Yeah, I'll pass...particularly for a 1st and a 2nd.

You're right that Perkins is more in the 'would be nice' category, as is Smith...but if that's what's available so be it.

Just keep improving the list year on year without breaking the bank, and look to land the generational talent every 5 years or so when they're available like Danger & Jez.

I have a mate that has links to some ITK people at the club. Doesn’t usually message me too often about this stuff but with all the talks about Holmes we had this arvo he let me know of another interesting tidbit.

Perkins agent asked to meet with Cats people recently.
Very interesting that he hasn’t re-signed since Twomey swore up and down that Perkins isn’t going anywhere. Hmmmmmm!
Didn’t elaborate if it was in the off-season or during the season just that it did happen, and we know Geelong have certainly asked the question before.

Appreciate it!

Would fit with what we've been hearing. I just get the feeling we'll be active this year in some way, particularly after keeping all our picks.

We tend to have big off-seasons every second year or so.

2015 - Danger, Scott Selwood, Smith, Henderson

2018 - Gaz

2020 - Cameron, Smith, Higgins

2022 - Henry, Bruhn, Bowes, pick 7.

What we do know is when Geelong set their eyes on a target, they don't often miss.

Will be interesting if Perkins is that target, or we're just f***ing around with Essendon to get them to ruin their cap with a game of cat/mouse.

They want to give mcgrath 6 years too.

I have no info on LDU..

But consider this.

GFC has won more games this year than north has in the 23 and 24 combined.

That’s gonna grate on a player.

I’d say he’s gettable

Go Catters

I have no info on LDU..

But consider this.

GFC has won more games this year than north has in the 23 and 24 combined.

That’s gonna grate on a player.

I’d say he’s gettable

Go Catters

I think LDU might have lost nearly as many games of football as Tom Hawkins.

Hawk: 249-3-100
LDU: 18-1-72

Not quite but man 18 wins career to date. That is sad

Mitch Duncan: 200 - 2 - 77
Mark Blicavs: 169 - 3 - 80

BUT, with a career win percentage of 74.29% from 280 games

Andrew Mackie: 207 - 2 - 71

So, LDU having played less than a third of the career games that Mackie did, he's already racked up more career losses

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back