Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 1

Remove this Banner Ad

I think the issue is most key forwards don't do a heap in their first 3-4 years, regardless of whether they end up being delisted a couple of years later or go on to be stars. Tom Hawkins, Jack Riewoldt, Josh Kennedy all averaged 1-1.5 goals a game in their first 3 years. But then so did Shane Kersten or even other high draft picks like Jon Patton or Tom Boyd.

I'd rather have McDonald than Neale. But I also think you can't use limited stats form so early on to prove that either are or aren't going to make it.

True, it's very hard to tell with most KPFs. And I agree it's hard (if not impossible) to make much of a call with limited stats.

My point was that there's all this noise around McDonald while we're telling someone who's had much less opportunity - and has NOT performed that badly - to rack off.

As for one over the other? Sure, McDonald may be better - he was pick #4 in the 2020 draft compared to Neale at #33. He was obviously one of the best KP prospects (btw, Sydney had 3 top 5 picks across 2019/2020...we'd kill for just a single top 5,but I digress). But right now, there's not a whole lot between the two other than the form of their respective teams.

True, it's very hard to tell with most KPFs. And I agree it's hard (if not impossible) to make much of a call with limited stats.

My point was that there's all this noise around McDonald while we're telling someone who's had much less opportunity - and has NOT performed that badly - to rack off.

As for one over the other? Sure, McDonald may be better - he was pick #4 in the 2020 draft compared to Neale at #33. He was obviously one of the best KP prospects (btw, Sydney had 3 top 5 picks across 2019/2020...we'd kill for just a single top 5,but I digress). But right now, there's not a whole lot between the two other than the form of their respective teams.
Yeah I guess the other stat which you mention is the pick they were drafted at. While this doesn't guarantee success (see Boyd, Patton, as I mentioned), for KPF it does seem important.

Nearly all the very good KPFs have been first round picks in the past decade or two. This is the one stat that McDonald has that looks a lot better than Neale, but it might be an important one.

Don't know if this is the right thread, but seeing a lot of attention around Logan McDonald.

Like Shannon, Logan's in his 4th year. Has played 58 games to Shannon's 10. And has kicked 21 goals in 14 games, compared to Shannon's 9 goals in 5 games.

Am I missing something here? I know you can't say 'ooh, so Shannon would've kicked more goals if he'd played 14 games" but the numbers on (albeit limited) evidence don't really show Logan to be doing much more than Shannon. But the media (latest example: see Barrett's Sliding Doors today) have McDonald "tracking excellently".

The biggest difference I can see is that one's playing in a team that's humming - and has been for the past 3 years (which he's played 51 of his 58 games). The other has played 8 of his 10 senior games in a team that's struggled with consistency and has a "work in progress" midfield.

Sure, Heeney and co. might be stealing goals from McDonald whereas our forwards don't have that "problem". But McDonald's also getting way better delivery. Meanwhile, we're cursing Neale if he drops 1-2 marks because our forward entries are so bad that we have to maximise them to have any chance.

Look, I get that Shannon's not yet close to a Hawkins replacement but I'm kind of sick of people telling him to go back to the VFL while a player who's tracking not that far ahead (even with 6 times the number of games) is getting plaudits from all and sundry just because he wears red and white.
I suspect if we went on to Swans BF board we might get similar criticism of Logan?

I reckon supporters are always way too hard on young key position players (for us it is Shannon and now SDK) yet as you point out there is plenty of evidence that it is rare for a key position player under 25 to be consistently good

I reckon they back Shannon in until end of his contract. Good chance he turns out to be a very good player imho

...Which one is it?
I've been pretty strong on him being in a Cats jumper - just by joining the dots on what you hear around the traps. Most of that from people more closely connected to the club than us. If we've got to the point of not being able to share your "opinions" without copping continual petulant responses then perhaps we've all lost sight of what this forum is about?

So I haven't changed my view despite the assertion. Do I think he'll be at Geelong - YES. Is there a chance he'll go elsewhere - Yes. But the latter is becoming more unlikely it seems.

Take some time to read the thread.

Inspecting the property and being in Greece are not linked. Old news.

Except that people have tried linking them and suggesting that Smith has been in Bellbrae this week

So our visitor would seem on the mark with their comment

I suspect if we went on to Swans BF board we might get similar criticism of Logan?

I reckon supporters are always way too hard on young key position players (for us it is Shannon and now SDK) yet as you point out there is plenty of evidence that it is rare for a key position player under 25 to be consistently good

I reckon they back Shannon in until end of his contract. Good chance he turns out to be a very good player imho

Agree, I think he can make it even if he's not Hawkins-level (few KPFs are).

P.S. Just had a quick look on the Swans boatd - most of them don't want to lose him, especially to Collingwood!

Dont take this as a snide comment re O Henry because its very early days and he is still young

But this is the player drafting thread , my question is what pick did Geel give Coll for Henry and who did the Magpies draft using that pick

Dont take this as a snide comment re O Henry because its very early days and he is still young

But this is the player drafting thread , my question is what pick did Geel give Coll for Henry and who did the Magpies draft using that pick

They traded it for Mitchell I think. Well, the decent pick, there was an assortment.

It's a slightly confusing trade, but this is how is played out - remember this was in 2022,

Collingwood:
Out - Ollie Henry, pick 41 & pick 50
In: Tom Mitchell & pick 25

Geelong:
Out - Cooper Stephens & pick 25
In - Ollie Henry

Hawthorn:
Out - Tom Mitchell
In: Cooper Stephens, pick 41 & pick 50

At the draft,
  • Pick 25 became pick 28 and Collingwood selected Jakob Ryan
  • Hawthorn sent their received picks, plus 52 & 63 to Brisbane on draft night in exchange for pick 36 & the WB's 2023 third round pick

It's a slightly confusing trade, but this is how is played out - remember this was in 2022,

Collingwood:

Geelong:
In - Ollie Henry

Hawthorn:
Out - Tom Mitchell

At the draft,
  • Hawthorn sent their received picks, plus 52 & 63 to Brisbane on draft night in exchange for pick 36 & the WB's 2023 third round pick
= we win.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It was a 4 club trade.
Geelong gave up 38 48 58 (most of those we werent using due to list spots) and future 4th and future 2nd for pick 25 (bris). Then we flipped 25 and cooper stephens for henry.
25 became 28 which the pies used on jacob ryan.
Then they flipped 41 and 50 (plus henry out) for mitchell

In essence we gave up a bunch of late ish picks + dead weight stephens for ollie
Pies gave up ollie 41 and 50 for mitchell and ryan.
Hawks gave up mitchell and got stephens and osullivan (the 3rd pick they traded to adel in a pick swap who took hugh bond).

Pies did well short term (albeit mitchell is cooked now) we will do well long term.
Hawks got dudded as they should have traded mitchell a year earlier when he had more value.

Collingwood:

Geelong:
In - Ollie Henry

Hawthorn:
Out - Tom Mitchell

At the draft,

It is even more confusing

To get that pick 25 to make the Henry trade cost

We sent to Brisbane picks 38, 48, 55, our future 2nd, future 4th

Which would have been

40, 46, 56 in 2022

36 ,55 in 2023

The draft in 2022 ended at pick 59
The draft in 2023 ended at pick 64

Better numbers than literally our whole midfield outside Holmes coming off no pre season and is still only 26, theres not a chance in hell Melbourne trade but we'd be mad to not be at least asking the question.

If youre talking a few weeks of performance yes.

But with his fitness so poor and his attitude to his body no way does his body last til his 2030 contract which means its an albatross.

No sale.

If you havent concluded the guy makes shit up at this point that's on you, how many sources can not be accurate before people actually lose any form of credibility on here....
His mail has been the same as mine in the past, I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss everything. There's been circumstances when players were coming to Geelong, the club believed so and then things changed. I think Jumping Jack has some good info but until the AFL has actually signed off on the trade, it can always change.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back