Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 1

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
All speculative and most likely bogus... but fun to talk about for a day or so.

Personally I like Smillie over FOS... but there's a good chance North R1 will be #1 so Geelong could go with whoever they prefer and I'd be fine with that.

I don't love the idea of our R1 + SDK... maybe if we got R1 comp for Stengle, because I still think we need a first rounder for Smith.

Anyway since it's speculative... I'll just imagine it's North's #1 for SDK plus our F2 (or Mannagh) or something like that.
Its actually Stanley, Tomahawk and Duncan for round 1.

No one remembers the misses and the advertising revenue isn't contingent on accuracy
Gotta say.. I would make one lousy journalist.

I am a lousy liar, so would only be posting articles that i can fact check... Big no no in journalism.

I would also be black listed from all the clubs for having verbal fights with half their players and staff.

I would be like tom hanks in castaway for my journalistic career.

99% certain trade talks around SDK are completely fabricated, but, if they aren't I would caution that number 1 picks aren't number 1 picks.

This isn't a Harley Reid draft. I haven't watched the top kids much because we're not getting them, but everything I've read points to the top two being a bit of a improvement on the next tier without being that amazing. Reads more like trading for pick one and your choices are McGrath, Taranto, or McLuggage.
I'd take that gamble 10/10, we have O'Sullivan as a 2nd year KPD. If we do the trade were probably not chasing immediate performance

Anyone heard this rumour?

View attachment 2030033

It would make sense that we are keen on osullivan for a variety of reasons.
That said:
1. Osullivan i reckon falls towards the mid r1 we probably dont need to trade up to get him
2. We arent trading sdk
3. If we were sdk wouldnt want to go to north he would want a big club.

Wont happen.

I'd take that gamble 10/10, we have O'Sullivan as a 2nd year KPD. If we do the trade were probably not chasing immediate performance

You dont need to trade sdk to get such a player though so its not mutually exclusive.

Plus we have a real dearth of quality talls we cant afford to be trading them.

It would make sense that we are keen on osullivan for a variety of reasons.
That said:
1. Osullivan i reckon falls towards the mid r1 we probably dont need to trade up to get him
2. We arent trading sdk
3. If we were sdk wouldnt want to go to north he would want a big club.

Wont happen.

Zero chance FOS falls in the mid first round. Surely you aren’t suggesting that? He’s 1 or 2. Won’t fall further than that.

Zero chance FOS falls in the mid first round. Surely you aren’t suggesting that? He’s 1 or 2. Won’t fall further than that.

Nah. If i did my current mock draft (a long way out) hes at 5 but i reckon he could fall further than depending on what clubs need. Its a VERY open draft this year which is why i would not trade up.

You dont need to trade sdk to get such a player though so its not mutually exclusive.

Plus we have a real dearth of quality talls we cant afford to be trading them.

In 2022 he was looking like he'd be anything. Now he is looking optimistically at a Lonergan level peak. If we don't sort out the around to ball stuff then his 1 on 1 with a KPF won't matter much. We need our next gen KPD group to have someone who can intercept and do something good with the ball.

With an early pick it doesn't have to be Finn O'Sullivan, pick what ever name you find better

If someone was prepare to throw overs at him I'd jump, even better if we preserve our first rounders for a double dip.

Something like trade out SDK for a top pick, Stengle goes via fee agency (hope and pray for band one) .
Suddenly we have three early picks in an even midfield draft. Go down for one year keep our 1st rounder and then we have our midfield core for the next 7-8 years

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah, I can see the appeal but I don't know that I like Henry and Kolo as the two keys. How much faith do you want to put in Jeka.

Maybe I just need to watch the draft footage

Yeah, I can see the appeal but I don't know that I like Henry and Kolo as the two keys. How much faith do you want to put in Jeka.

Maybe I just need to watch the draft footage
Very little in Jeka but I can see some structural upside in having a taller interceptor (despite the apparent insanity of taking a guy that was all Australian 5 times as a loose interceptor in defence to facilitate, but hey we tried the move to help Sav last year so who knows), with Kolo and Henry as lock down is bit like keeping a tank, the armour is the last thing keeping it safe. And you're rather the armour isn't tested in the first place. But in the situation where no amount of armour will do, ditching it can confer other benefits... you'd hope.

The club could potentially turn SDK into a backup ruck if they can see that role for him and if they can bulk him up…surely our first and a future first should be able to get a high pick without trading out SDK
SDK played as a mid as a junior until his growth spurt.

He should/may have the all round view of the game other talls who have only played as a tall don't have.

Until SDK is played on ball / ruck for a period of time we do not know his best position. Someone who can mark a releasing kick on a wing would be a god send right now.

Trading SDK would be a corporate brain fade IMO.

He should/may have the all round view of the game other talls who have only played as a tall don't have.

Until SDK is played on ball / ruck for a period of time we do not know his best position. Someone who can mark a releasing kick on a wing would be a god send right now.

I agree. Feels like over rating the draft.

I'd urge patience. If you're dead set on a top 4 draft pick then wait until we earn one

Nah. If i did my current mock draft (a long way out) hes at 5 but i reckon he could fall further than depending on what clubs need. Its a VERY open draft this year which is why i would not trade up.

I'd bet my right arm he doesn't fall out of the top 3. Pretty certain he'll go at 1. I agree it's open but personally I feel that FOS has a bit on the players from 3 on. I have Jagga at 2 for what it's worth. Don't rate Smillie overly highly.

I know I sound like a broken record but the best thing the club could do is get all the kids including SDK to bulk up in the pre season …I know it sounds like a simple solution but it would help all of their game with not being thrown around in the contest around the ground

Not sure id be trading SDK. 23 and learing the game still around hte 50 game mark.
Broke into the game after 3 years in COVID-VFL and was instrumental in us getting a flag.
Got targeted and belted hard several times with facial fractures one result.

The team has dropped off around him and im not sure all the derision aimed at him is 100% fair - some surely is as his outcomes have declined but im willing to accept some of that.

I just reckon dealing him off (which we cant do without his support anyway) is a bit follyish.
GO Catters

The club could potentially turn SDK into a backup ruck if they can see that role for him and if they can bulk him up…surely our first and a future first should be able to get a high pick without trading out SDK
With how we are declining i would really be against using our future first...

With how we are declining i would really be against using our future first...
The ship can turn around very quickly I still believe we have a good core of kids for the future just need the time and size to compete

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back