Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 1

Remove this Banner Ad

I dropped that I had heard some info about Bailey Smith that sounds like he is coming earlier this week so it’s nice to see Jon Ralph must have caught that same info. It’s sounding super promising.

Also, someone mentioned Garcia in here and I saw in article clubs are circling. I’ll ask about him but I haven’t heard anything but I must say I wouldn’t mind him for us. A guy who knows how to find a heap of the footy is what we need.

I must add, I am so excited about Smith. Accumulator, burst player who has been labeled a hack. If he comes - and I note again I believe he will - then he will be a straight up superstar at Geelong. Mark my words.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Brought in to be a project forward and played at full back. Doesn’t make any sense.
never seen Foster at FB - and ive watched a lot of VFL last 2 seasons even from here.

GO Catters

I like nate but hes very similar to henry.

I can see why we picked connor instead and it will be obvious when blitz retires.
He looks exciting and he certainly can mark the ball. Could be a really fun player to watch. But boy his kicking approach needs some work. That can sometimes be fixed, but sometimes it can’t.

I am surprised that a 193cm forward can get this far in his career with a t-Rex kicking motion, Essendon will want to fix that quick.

I can see why we picked connor instead and it will be obvious when blitz retires.

You just have to watch Jack Henry struggle against many 200+cm key forwards this year to see why we picked COS. The new gen key forwards are too big for a ~190cm guy.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You just have to watch Jack Henry struggle against many 200+cm key forwards this year to see why we picked COS. The new gen key forwards are too big for a ~190cm guy.
COS is going to have to put on some serious size to be able to handle those big key forwards.

He is 198cm but plays like a Tom stewart size at this stage of his career.

He has plenty of time to put on the size, but it is going to take a while. I am thinking 3 seasons minimum.

For those who following the U18 and potential draftees, who here should we be keeping an eye on?

Once you take out the academy guys im looking forward to seeing lalor, travaglia,ivisic and hannaford. Obviously some people will be pretty focused on the whitlock twins and i think faull has some good potential.

COS is going to have to put on some serious size to be able to handle those big key forwards.

He has plenty of time to put on the size, but it is going to take a while. I am thinking 3 seasons minimum.

It will but his intercept marking and big engine means once he puts on size hes a good option either for the key back role or the roaming blitz role. Will take time but will be good i think.

Yeah give him 2 years in the gym, 1-2 years playing the Stewart role, then send him to the big units and watch him bash them

It will but his intercept marking and big engine means once he puts on size hes a good option either for the key back role or the roaming blitz role. Will take time but will be good i think.
I agree, he is going to be quality. And he has the potential to play a number of roles.

I wouldn’t pencil him in purely as a key defender, I think he will more likely be a big mid/wingman/half back.

I wonder if the “Stewart role” will even be a thing going forward.

Teams finally have worked out that you simply can not leave Stewart as a free man to roam around and chop off everything in sight.

It’s weird it’s taken so long for teams to put a tag on Stewart… but I think he will almost never be given the option to play the way he has in the past again (I almost get emotional thinking about that).

It will impact the way we play greatly.

Maybe Zuthrie could play that role (if allowed) in the future… even taking over from Stewart when he retires.

Henry is the odd man out for mine.

He has been a solid role player but not as good at playing the free man as Zuthrie and probably won’t be as good at playing on talls as SDK/Kolo and COS.

Humphries also to supply long term bounce from the back half.

This is probably why I wasn’t fussed about Henry copping big (possibly band 1) offers from North.

In the end he ain’t gonna leave though and is a solid role player…. kept Buddy goalless in a GF so I’m very thankful for that.

Yeah I wish we could push a button and get a couple of year instantly into COS.

One would think COS + SDK should be a very strong long term key back duo… but the way CS is talking SDK might get flung all over the place.

Last edited:
I wonder if the “Stewart role” will even be a thing going forward.

Teams finally have worked out that you simply can not leave Stewart as a free man to roam around and chop off everything in sight.

It’s weird it’s taken so long for teams to put a tag on Stewart… but I think he will almost never be given the option to play the way he has in the past again (I almost get emotional thinking about that).

It will impact the way we play greatly.

Maybe Zuthrie could play that role (if allowed) in the future… even taking over from Stewart when he retires.

Henry is the odd man out for mine.

He has been a solid role player but not as good at playing the free man as Zuthrie and probably won’t be as good at playing on talls as SDK/Kolo and COS.

Humphries also to supply long term bounce from the back half.

This is probably why I wasn’t fussed about Henry copping big (possibly band 1) offers from North.

In the end he ain’t gonna leave though and is a solid role player…. kept Buddy goalless in a GF so I’m very thankful for that.

Yeah I wish we could push a button and get a couple of year instantly into COS.

One would think COS + SDK should be a very long term key back duo… but the way CS is talking SDK might get flung all over the place.
I think the rest of this season will tell a tale.

If SDK shows he can be a competent ruck, then I can see us not chasing an established ruckman and going in next season with Conway/SDK as the primary ruckmen with Edwards one for the future. If that is the case we need another key sized defender.

If SDK crashes and burns in the ruck, we would likely abandon the idea of him playing ruck and make him permanent kpd going forward. If that is the case then we need to chase an established ruck to play with Conway.

I really hope option 1 occurs. If SDK can play ruck it gives us so much more flexibility and means we don’t have to burn a roster spot on another pure ruck.

We have found that out the hard way this year. Too many forwards that have nominal defensive pressure has caused big problems for us this year.

Our problem this year is we were getting nothing in exchange for playing tall. Hawkins couldn't move, Cameron couldn't take a contested mark. And Henry is close to smallest tall in the comp giving up 10+ kgs to his direct opponent. And teams knew this.

My belief is that you should never play an extra tall to get an advantage in that area, there simply isn't enough contests to justify it.

Problem with our talls this year is none of them are playing as ‘talls’ they have been for various reasons very soft and either not taking marks or down back often not even making a marking contest.
It’s useless playing talls if they’re non competitive in the air.
Some of the younger ones need some solid gym work to stand up but it’s deeper than that. They have lost confidence this year, Neale is not a Hawkins type player anyway so we will miss that big key forward who can take contested grabs. Rohan was great at doing this last week and he should play next season to help with that.

Our problem this year is we were getting nothing in exchange for playing tall. Hawkins couldn't move, Cameron couldn't take a contested mark. And Henry is close to smallest tall in the comp giving up 10+ kgs to his direct opponent. And teams knew this.

My belief is that you should never play an extra tall to get an advantage in that area, there simply isn't enough contests to justify it.

Yeah footy has moved away from big lumbering talls like Hawk. He's a forward of a previous era which has died out
You either need a lanky forward that can run and crash packs or basicallyone playing as as an extra midfielder/winger to have influence.

Henry has been trying to play the Rohan third tall role, that's fine but Rohan is actually an elite defensive pressure player and can crash packs when required.
Ollie doesnt do that enough to justify that spot.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back