Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 1

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
SDK is a back up ruckman at best, he would be the ruckman you put in the ruck when they need a rest, Meek killed him in the ruck yesterday, but SDK did better work around the ground. As Pure said, we need another back up ruck next year as we can't trust Conway as who knows how his body can hold up
I like the GWS ruck, but he won't be going anywhere. I like those brutish clearance type rucks... But we tend not go for them.

In 20-30 years sport as we currently know it probably won’t exist.

The thought of anyone spending 3 hrs watching sport in 2050 will be laughed at.
I think the biggest threat to the existence of the game is concussions sadly. The way the world is tracking with it contact sport may be at threat.. Or the game will end up being changed to the drastic point of looking like netball

I like the GWS ruck, but he won't be going anywhere. I like those brutish clearance type rucks... But we tend not go for them.
He was second choice ruck few seasons back.
Nank was 3rd choice ruck.at swans.
Meek was behide Hodor Darcy .

Mature rucks are out there.

That seems like a sound take until you realise we have a 200cm young key back and we are playing him in the ruck.
I used to get laughed at for suggesting SDK may end up moved away from KPD. Ruck, key forward or big bodied midfielder are still all on the table in the coming years.

Maybe COS was selected with this somewhat in mind. That there was every chance he or SDK could end up further up the ground.

I used to get laughed at for suggesting SDK may end up moved away from KPD. Ruck, key forward or big bodied midfielder are still all on the table in the coming years.

Maybe COS was selected with this somewhat in mind. That there was every chance he or SDK could end up further up the ground.
I can see SDK being our Ruck long term, with COS sent to defence...

Not sure where this conversation fits but where do we plays Holmes next year. Article suggests his best position is half back given our win rate with him there. I would suggest that the win rate is more related to having the midfield depth that he's not needed there

2. ROBBING PETER TO PAY PAUL
It is the predicament that has faced many coaches before with a multifaceted player: are we robbing Peter to pay Paul? Max Holmes’ move into the midfield was a classic example. It made perfect sense to move Holmes on-ball to add some pizzazz to a depleted and struggling on-ball brigade. But the speedster was a key part of Geelong’s early success with his rebound off halfback, helping them to a 7-0 start – albeit against lesser opposition. He was pushed back into defence again on Saturday night with Tom Stewart playing as an inside midfielder and Holmes starred with 23 disposals and a goal and the Cats notched another victory. Geelong is 7-2 when Holmes plays 60 per cent or more in defence, and 3-4 when he spends +35 per cent in the midfield. According to Champion Data, the Cats have won a clearance 36 per cent of the time he has attended a centre bounce – the second worst return of any of Geelong’s top-10 midfielders. His versatility is extremely valuable, and it is a good problem to have, but the evidence suggests the Cats are losing more taking him out of defence than out of the midfield.

Not sure where this conversation fits but where do we plays Holmes next year. Article suggests his best position is half back given our win rate with him there. I would suggest that the win rate is more related to having the midfield depth that he's not needed there

It is the predicament that has faced many coaches before with a multifaceted player: are we robbing Peter to pay Paul? Max Holmes’ move into the midfield was a classic example. It made perfect sense to move Holmes on-ball to add some pizzazz to a depleted and struggling on-ball brigade. But the speedster was a key part of Geelong’s early success with his rebound off halfback, helping them to a 7-0 start – albeit against lesser opposition. He was pushed back into defence again on Saturday night with Tom Stewart playing as an inside midfielder and Holmes starred with 23 disposals and a goal and the Cats notched another victory. Geelong is 7-2 when Holmes plays 60 per cent or more in defence, and 3-4 when he spends +35 per cent in the midfield. According to Champion Data, the Cats have won a clearance 36 per cent of the time he has attended a centre bounce – the second worst return of any of Geelong’s top-10 midfielders. His versatility is extremely valuable, and it is a good problem to have, but the evidence suggests the Cats are losing more taking him out of defence than out of the midfield.

I want him on the outside his attributes shine when he does, he isn’t clean enough to on the inside, he get his hand on the ball gets the stat but it generally isn’t that effective

It's an interesting question/debate to have. I think he's good at both, but I'm not sure which position maximises his value to the team. But I'd probably agree with you that having enough quality in both positions so that you're not forced to play him in either is the key.

As an aside, I always find arguments like this where people say we win x% more games with a certain player as evidence to be a very simplistic.

The main problem is their listicle needs 5 names but there aren't 5 suitable players that are gettable. They're just having to fill space

The AFL did an article on 35 or so players the other day. Pretty much the only player that would fit our needs and would be likely to leave current club / entertain Geelong would be Smith. Few good players on the list like Warner and Lukosius but chances that they leave the current club are low and if they did they would go home to WA / SA most likely anyway.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Some Players that may be gettable and would add something to our list
Bailey Smith (obviously)
Riley Garcia
Ryan Angwin
Reef Mcinnes

The AFL did an article on 35 or so players the other day. Pretty much the only player that would fit our needs and would be likely to leave current club / entertain Geelong would be Smith. Few good players on the list like Warner and Lukosius but chances that they leave the current club are low and if they did they would go home to WA / SA most likely anyway.
Luko will do Hardwick's head in by years end.
Has plenty of talent just hasn't translated into a No.1 draft billing player that he was tipped to be.
Wonder if the waters off Jan Juc would jolt something within the bloke...??

wonder will we ask TDK (contract end of 26) the question again as surely carlton cap about to burst. Doesnt help TDK have been on fire last month or so

I can see SDK being our Ruck long term, with COS sent to defence...
I can see scott bucking the trend and going 2x 200cm midfielders in both sdk and osullivan.

It is the future of afl midfielders as well.

In 20-30 years time afl sides will represent a basketball team in terms of athletic profile more than current footy players.

Tall athletic strong types will dominate across smaller players.

AFL footy is trending towards a game of transition footy between the arcs and controlling around the contest. Much like controlling the center in chess.

It is trending more towards players like Lukosious pushed up high on the wing or HB then delivering it up forward to the smaller types racing back.

Some Players that may be gettable and would add something to our list
Bailey Smith (obviously)
Riley Garcia
Ryan Angwin
Reef Mcinnes

Apparently Dogs fans on their board are backing up the rumour that Garcia toured our facilities not that long ago and that's why he's been dropped to reserves and hasn't returned.
Bevo used the excuse that poor umpiring decisions against him has cost him his confidence....i mean surely no one actually believes that is true? Never heard of a player being dropped from lack of confidence because of poor umpiring against a player lol

I was wishy washy on the Bailey Smith train early but if Bailey is committed and it won't cost us too much i'm down for it.
Garcia would be interesting as where does he fit in? We have a pretty stacked forward line and he's not pushing out majority of our mids?

Haven't seen anything about Angwin or McInnes to think anything is there as they'd probably fall into depth category anyway.

Even with some retirements, those gaps are already going to be filled.

Say we lose the guys on the left and they finish up end of this 2024 season, the guys on the right are already replacing them right?

Hawkins >>> Neale
Stanley >>> Conway
2E >>> Humphries or Mullin
Duncan >>> Humphries or Mullin and then that's not even including if we get Bailey Smith
Cam Guthrie >>> Mannagh or again Bailey Smith
Gary Rohan >>> Ollie Henry

We also have O'Sullivan in the reserves who will become our long term key position defender so eventually he has to fit in somewhere. Does SDK play Ruck full time and COS becomes his KPD replacement?

Hardie, Clohesy, Parfitt, Stevens, MOC, Mullin all playing ressies atm too, Mitch Edwards will be there as well.

Apparently Dogs fans on their board are backing up the rumour that Garcia toured our facilities not that long ago and that's why he's been dropped to reserves and hasn't returned.
Bevo used the excuse that poor umpiring decisions against him has cost him his confidence....i mean surely no one actually believes that is true? Never heard of a player being dropped from lack of confidence because of poor umpiring against a player lol

I was wishy washy on the Bailey Smith train early but if Bailey is committed and it won't cost us too much i'm down for it.
Garcia would be interesting as where does he fit in? We have a pretty stacked forward line and he's not pushing out majority of our mids?

Haven't seen anything about Angwin or McInnes to think anything is there as they'd probably fall into depth category anyway.

Even with some retirements, those gaps are already going to be filled.

Say we lose the guys on the left and they finish up end of this 2024 season, the guys on the right are already replacing them right?

Hawkins >>> Neale
Stanley >>> Conway
2E >>> Humphries or Mullin
Duncan >>> Humphries or Mullin and then that's not even including if we get Bailey Smith
Cam Guthrie >>> Mannagh or again Bailey Smith
Gary Rohan >>> Ollie Henry

We also have O'Sullivan in the reserves who will become our long term key position defender so eventually he has to fit in somewhere. Does SDK play Ruck full time and COS becomes his KPD replacement?

Hardie, Clohesy, Parfitt, Stevens, MOC, Mullin all playing ressies atm too, Mitch Edwards will be there as well.
Great post.

It is hard to see how some of those targets fit in, but once injuries hit it becomes very clear that you need as many quality players as you can get.

We've been reasonably lucky in that regard this year, and if we were to lose that luck next year, on top of the retirements, suddenly those guys who we think we don't really need (Garcia, Angwin) are playing every week.

I see it pretty simply, if Chris Scott sees a spot for Riley Garcia in this side, I'll back his judgement every day of the week. Likewise Bailey Smith.

If I was to guess though, I think Scotty's really trying to build this side around speed and transition. It's where the game is heading right now.

Add Garcia to Stengle, Miers, Close, Mannagh, & Dempsey as nippy HFF/wingman, and Baz to Holmes in the middle with Humphries, Stewart, & Mullin off the half back line, and we're going to be burning teams in transition.

Add Paddy in there who can still do in bursts, Jezza who's lightning quick for a key position player, and Rohan if he plays on, and it's even more dramatic.

We're already able to do it on occasion when the games on our terms, but we can strengthen that area even more, and with Baz coming in our clearence/inside game is improved to, giving us a real plan B it plan A isn't working.

Great post.

It is hard to see how some of those targets fit in, but once injuries hit it becomes very clear that you need as many quality players as you can get.

We've been reasonably lucky in that regard this year, and if we were to lose that luck next year, on top of the retirements, suddenly those guys who we think we don't really need (Garcia, Angwin) are playing every week.

I see it pretty simply, if Chris Scott sees a spot for Riley Garcia in this side, I'll back his judgement every day of the week. Likewise Bailey Smith.

If I was to guess though, I think Scotty's really trying to build this side around speed and transition. It's where the game is heading right now.

Add Garcia to Stengle, Miers, Close, Mannagh, & Dempsey as nippy HFF/wingman, and Baz to Holmes in the middle with Humphries, Stewart, & Mullin off the half back line, and we're going to be burning teams in transition.

Add Paddy in there who can still do in bursts, Jezza who's lightning quick for a key position player, and Rohan if he plays on, and it's even more dramatic.

We're already able to do it on occasion when the games on our terms, but we can strengthen that area even more, and with Baz coming in our clearence/inside game is improved to, giving us a real plan B it plan A isn't working.

Fantastic post, love that we are going for speed in our squad. If that means Bailey and Garcia i'm right onboard the hype train. TOOT TOOT!

It shows when we go the length of the ground with our speed we can absolutely kill teams, we did that a lot in 2022.
I see no reason why we wouldn't want to repeat that style of play.

Last edited:
I think the biggest threat to the existence of the game is concussions sadly. The way the world is tracking with it contact sport may be at threat.. Or the game will end up being changed to the drastic point of looking like netball
I used to think that. But now I think sport will just keep on keeping on.

Joe Public is far more concerned with being entertained than they are concerned with some highly paid sportsperson’s brain health. And there will always be people willing to be the highly paid sportsperson who gets their brain bashed up.

NFL is the best example. 5 years ago the media was writing its obituary. Now it is as violent as ever, and even more popular than ever. Joe Public has come to terms with their guilt and just wants to be entertained. It has been that way since gladiators in the coliseum.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back