Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Ask and we'll try our best to assist - so here's 2024 Provisional AFL Draft Order

As normal, would like to acknowledge & thank Lore for creating this, keeping it up to date and making it available for all users on BF to use and keep track of the picks ahead of the upcoming draft

I'll also sticky this post to ensure it's easily accessible for discussion of our hypothetical trader

Just watching number 5 from GWS and can’t want for him to come and replace our number 5 in 3-5 years.

Would cost at least 2 x r1s probably but would be worth it.
I reckon he will stay there though.

Did North have the opportunity to draft him or am I thinking of someone else?

Gws traded up from 3 to 1 (as part of the NM trade) to get him so technically yes. But if they did that they would have lost either wardlaw or sheezel.

We only have one player this season in the top 80 highest $$$ earners, that being Cameron. Holmes and Stengle are on new deals as of next year but that's a fair effort given we're deep in finals.
Who do you think won’t be here next year apart from Hawkins and Tuohy?

Who do you think won’t be here next year apart from Hawkins and Tuohy?

Stanley is retiring.
I think rohan will get tapped on the shoulder.
Bews is probably retire or FA to another club.
Parfitt out FA.

At this stage i expect duncan to go on and chase 300 but if we win the flag maybe he pulls the pin.

Stanley is retiring.
Parfitt out FA.

At this stage i expect duncan to go on and chase 300 but if we win the flag maybe he pulls the pin.
We must have some nice cap space coming up next year surely.

Would cost at least 2 x r1s probably but would be worth it.
I reckon he will stay there though.
Cadman seems committed, and would cost the earth.

Jake Riccardi, on the other hand, has been left out of the side, is 24, and is an excellent mark...

I’d like to see them persist with Foster to see where he can go with his game. He does enough little things that show something but he also looks lost on the field at times.
Honestly, I think he has saved his bacon in the last month. That, and with three probable retirements (Stanley included), plus Parfitt, Hardie and probably Rohan being shown the door, that's a lot of turnover already.

The guy is young (turns 20 in a couple of days) and seemed to go backwards this year, but has the one thing you can't really teach - he can take a big grab. Looks like he has spent the year powerlifting, too.

Stanley is retiring.
Parfitt out FA.

I think Bews will stay. 1 year contract. He fills a need for us against specific opponents, not that old. If he leaves I think it will be his choice to go find more consistent game time.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Is Carlton Matt Kennedy of interest- if I was treated like he was last night I'd be looking for another club

1. Late in - told was playing and flew to Brisbane yesterday

2 Subbed off after 12mins of second quarter for TDK - When the team is getting spanked 60-0 even after Blake Aches had shown signs of a shoulder injury.

Very few player's if any on an AFL list will be able to fill the Danger void but being able to play that same role to an elite level is a different story and that is something Smith has the potential of doing.
Holmes has all of his attributes except his size I strongly believe that he will be the closer player possible to Danger and quite bullish that once he has the size he will be in that role

For those tuning into the VFL today, have a look at former Sun Brayden Crossley in the ruck for the Sharks. Haven't seen much of him but he leads the VFL for hitouts and has had a few games where he has kicked multiple goals.

Looks like he doesn't mind a snag or two so maybe he could be the next Mumford project? Plays a physical brand and looks like he has a reasonable skill set for a ruckman.

Just look for the bad mother rucker moustache.
Would need a lot of work looks fat with bigger love handles that I have

Stanley is retiring.
Parfitt out FA.

Not trying to be a smart ass - I am genuinely asking - but is there is any corroborating evidence that Stanley is actually retiring?

I have seen the narrative repeated on here on countless occasions - “Stanley has told the team he is retiring, Stanley had to be talked into playing this year….” But is there any actual evidence that this is the case?

It kind of feels like someone said it early on, other people have repeated it often enough, and now it is taken as gospel. Stanley’s form through the season lent weight to people’s perception that he was finished, but I still have no idea if it is actual truth.

Can anyone shed some light for me?

Would need a lot of work looks fat with bigger love handles that I have
The concerning part was that he gave SDK a flogging in that game.

Based on what I have seen over the past month, Stanley is clearly our best ruckman. If SDK comes back in it has to be key defender or bust. And that moves Blitz back into no man’s land in regards his role.

I don’t think SDK gets back in this season unless we have an injury. Which is staggering considering how talented he is.

The concerning part was that he gave SDK a flogging in that game.

Based on what I have seen over the past month, Stanley is clearly our best ruckman. If SDK comes back in it has to be key defender or bust. And that moves Blitz back into no man’s land in regards his role.

I don’t think SDK gets back in this season unless we have an injury. Which is staggering considering how talented he is.
He needs more physical size but his knees is holding him back , I tend to agree he can’t be a ruckman with his lack of size

Last edited:
Honestly, I think he has saved his bacon in the last month. That, and with three probable retirements (Stanley included), plus Parfitt, Hardie and probably Rohan being shown the door, that's a lot of turnover already.

The guy is young (turns 20 in a couple of days) and seemed to go backwards this year, but has the one thing you can't really teach - he can take a big grab. Looks like he has spent the year powerlifting, too.
Something that annoys me is that every time he goes to the bench, he has this negativity about him. Shoulders slump, seems pissed at the world. However, watching him yesterday he was alright and has put on some size this year. I'd be ok if they gave him another year.

Not trying to be a smart ass - I am genuinely asking - but is there is any corroborating evidence that Stanley is actually retiring?

I have seen the narrative repeated on here on countless occasions - “Stanley has told the team he is retiring, Stanley had to be talked into playing this year….” But is there any actual evidence that this is the case?

It kind of feels like someone said it early on, other people have repeated it often enough, and now it is taken as gospel. Stanley’s form through the season lent weight to people’s perception that he was finished, but I still have no idea if it is actual truth.

I agree in your question, and iv asked on this thread the same thing! I honestly wouldn't put it past he plays another season. At a reduced salary, they will manage him in playing him less games etc
Even on K Rock cat attack podcast, Kingy said Stanley will play on next season..

Iv said we need to get another mature age ruckman. And that's purely as I thought Stanley was going to retire.. But I don't mind if Stanley goes on next season, but hoping Conway can get his body ready and can play 15 games next season..
And if we keep a rookie spot open next season so in case we can get a player in the mid season draft and get a ruckman if Conway keeps getting injured...

Also have herd that some people in the Geelong Offical people think that Edwards will be a better ruckman then Conway... Some a really excited on what Edwards will be

We must have some nice cap space coming up next year surely.

Some of those guys will be on lower $ than they were at their peak but yes it will open space.
Plus danger is going onto a new lower contract and guthrie and blitz deals end next year and i expect both retire. So we will open up a lot of cap space like we did in 2015. Lots of cap to recruit FAs next year.

I have a very good source on this one and i know a couple of other people on this board do too.
He was 99.9 % retired last year until the club talked him out of it, because of worries about conway needing more time. Things can change but at this stage hes 99% retiring.

I think Bews will stay. 1 year contract. He fills a need for us against specific opponents, not that old. If he leaves I think it will be his choice to go find more consistent game time.

Maybe. I would be happy to keep him if its vfl backup only as hes a good culture guy but unsure if another club offers more games. But like menegola the year before its easy to see him as FA/retire.

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back