Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Ask and we'll try our best to assist - so here's 2024 Provisional AFL Draft Order

As normal, would like to acknowledge & thank Lore for creating this, keeping it up to date and making it available for all users on BF to use and keep track of the picks ahead of the upcoming draft

I'll also sticky this post to ensure it's easily accessible for discussion of our hypothetical trader

So our R1 + Clohesy for Smith?

Martin is one I’d be happy to pass on - not sure why there’s the interest in a player who’s spent more time with the teams medical staff over recent years than with his teammates on the field

It’s similar with seeing some suggesting we should look at Preuss who after joing GWS, played 0 senior games in 3 of his 4 seniors systems with them due to injury and hasn’t played at senior level since round 21 2022

Somehow these guys who’ve been delisted by other teams & been battling significant injury concerns, are suddenly some sort of superstars just waiting for the right team to pick them up - don’t get it
We have 9 places to fill and we have 4-5 draft picks and we’ll have to pay for BS with some picked , that why we need to this

He is one I thought about, but as a life long Hawks fan, wonder if he’d prefer to stay at Box Hill

He might. We do like to get players back gore/lang style to the vfl team though. I wouldnt be against getting tsitas back for leadership but at his age he probably wants SA.

It's strange the way the Hardie haters feel the urge to sink the boot in after he's been delisted. Wouldn't it be better just to leave it alone? Hardie was very good at VFL level, 4th in the VFL medal and Geelong's only player in the VFL team of the year. He should be admired for putting in week after week even though he never received the call up to the AFL team. He did make it as an emergency more than once which suggests he was rated by the club.

It's strange the way the Hardie haters feel the urge to sink the boot in after he's been delisted. Wouldn't it be better just to leave it alone? Hardie was very good at VFL level, 4th in the VFL medal and Geelong's only player in the VFL team of the year. He should be admired for putting in week after week even though he never received the call up to the AFL team. He did make it as an emergency more than once which suggests he was rated by the club.

Agree with everything you said.
I'm certainly no Hardie fan but I struggle to think of another player in recent memory who appeared to be hard done by as he put his head down week after week and just did the job. Usually a player gets rewarded for doing so.

Perhaps he was not ticking off all the KPI's asked?

Either way, even when we played a bottom-tier side, you would have thought it would be a decent opportunity to see what he had.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just that, it's an opinion.
Knevitt is ahead of him as well. I hope he makes it. Just sense Mullin and Clark are going to make significant inroads as midfielders next year which makes it tough for a few others.
I hope your right on those two, would love Mullin to hit top gear off the half back and mid.

With Bowes progress your probably right with Stevens finding it hard to get a spot.

Hardie was better than Josh Cowan, that's for sure. I didn't think Hardie was terrible. He had a crack and was quite durable, got the pill plenty of times at VFL. Club obviously rated many others ahead of him.

I hope your right on those two, would love Mullin to hit top gear off the half back and mid.

With Bowes progress your probably right with Stevens finding it hard to get a spot.
Bowes can play a few roles .
I rather he settle in on one role...

Imo I would of played him forward tag on zorko ..

Hardie was better than Josh Cowan, that's for sure. I didn't think Hardie was terrible. He had a crack and was quite durable, got the pill plenty of times at VFL. Club obviously rated many others ahead of him.
Slow podders like Hardie will struggle to get many AFL games.
The game getting faster ...imo.

I’ve seen a few reports that all of Duncan, Bews, Guthrie, Stanley and Danger will play on next year. It seems CS is afraid to make the same necessary tough calls he did back in 2010/11.
We're losing Hawkins, Tuohy and Rohan as experienced players. Parfitt is gone as depth. Then turfed a bunch of guys who were just playing VFL and not going to make it.

Need to be careful with how you go about transitioning and re-modelling the list. Can't cut too deep all at once or you can end up in free fall; also need to be mindful not to keep too many old heads around with guaranteed spots in the seniors because that can turn out badly too. The two worst clubs of the last few years - North and WCE - illustrate the outcome of these contrasting approaches. North turfed everyone out at once and have never recovered; WCE left too many of their old stars hanging around and they all fell in a heap at the same time.

I think we could have afforded to part with another of those senior brigade, probably one of Stanley, Bews or Duncan. But we've already lost 4 guys who had been regulars in the side at some time recently (Tuohy, Hawkins, Parfitt and Rohan), so I think that's enough without being drastic. That said, I would expect and hope that most of them play out the majority of next year as VFL/depth players. Danger will obviously go on for a while yet and will be managed through the year. I doubt the club would want to make the call on Cam Guthrie just yet, given he hasn't had a clear run at it for two years, but 2025 will need to be make or break for him.

Stanley is a curious one given he was willing to finish last year, but may be continuing for a second following that call. He was pretty good towards the end of this year, but his body must be near shot to pieces and can't see him running out the year if he can even start it. But him staying onboard is perhaps a reflection of our belief of what rucks are out their for us to acquire during the trade/draft period. I'd still like us to pick up someone else, even if it's just insurance for Stanley and Conway if/when they break down.

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back