Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Ask and we'll try our best to assist - so here's 2024 Provisional AFL Draft Order

As normal, would like to acknowledge & thank Lore for creating this, keeping it up to date and making it available for all users on BF to use and keep track of the picks ahead of the upcoming draft

I'll also sticky this post to ensure it's easily accessible for discussion of our hypothetical trader

NOTE - MOVE ON FROM MATCH REVIEW DISCUSSION

If you want to dissect content from specific matches, find the relevant autopsy or review thread and chat to your hearts content

As per the thread title, "GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists"

Get back on topic with a focus on the upcoming trade week, players we'll be potentially targeting, you'd like to see us targeting or even what may happen around any of our players heading

But sick of the off topic, point scoring attempts in regards to matches from throughout the year - further off topic posts will be deleted
Whoops soz. I think we should trade in Smith, Butters and Reid.

Teams can try and lowball but when was the last time a team did a trade with us for a player that was at the required level of SDK and we got bent over?
Seems I needed to be clearer with my messaging here. We do sensible deals, don't demand massive overs, and pay more than reasonably for the players we pick up. Meaning that clubs know we'll pay up for players (and reasonably release players) and therefore they don't have to set up (or put up with) frankly silly negotiating positions to deal with us.

And two top-10 picks for SDK (with just one year left to run on his deal) is nothing other than a silly negotiating position.

We can't be sure what we asked for initially.

I assume we would have backed down to some degree and eventually made the trade.

We certainly are no pushovers though, that's for sure and the way it should be.

We know with Ratugolea we held out for the picks to get Humphries

But with Kelly it's not like we started at 2 x first round picks and then ended up with 1 first round pick and change

I'm quite sure there was a level of compromise, but we didn't just roll over like we've been accused of doing in the past

Except that this is pretty much the exact opposite view for how opposition fans view Geelong in terms of trade deals.
The idea that we would pay any attention to how opposition fans view the 'fairness' of our trade dealings strikes me as completely bizarre.

No matter how non-objective we might be about it, they would have us all covered in their sleep on that front.

The idea that we accept unders or lowball offers just isn't true
I never said it was. I was simply pointing out that clubs don't find themselves having to say simply outrageous things to Geelong to 'start the conversation'. We don't end up moving a million miles from a sober original assessment of how the deals should play out.

The Rata situation was a case in point. Geelong wanted more (but not an enormous amount more) than what Port was first prepared to offer. They held to that position throughout the negotiations and didn't deviate much at all from their reasonable opening stance.

And the rest, as they say, is Humphries...

Goodness me the dick measuring insistence on being right is seriously pathetic, go outside and talk to an actual human of the opposite sex or feed the ducks down at the park or something you losers
Some say the ducks went to Canada. Others say Toronto. And some people think Joe used to sit over there near those ducks.

If you want to dissect content from specific matches, find the relevant autopsy or review thread and chat to your hearts content

As per the thread title, "GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists"

Get back on topic with a focus on the upcoming trade week, players we'll be potentially targeting, you'd like to see us targeting or even what may happen around any of our players heading

But sick of the off topic, point scoring attempts in regards to matches from throughout the year - further off topic posts will be deleted
Delete away you foxy lady!

We know with Ratugolea we held out for the picks to get Humphries

But with Kelly it's not like we started at 2 x first round picks and then ended up with 1 first round pick and change

I'm quite sure there was a level of compromise, but we didn't just roll over like we've been accused of doing in the past
I agree.

I always felt we were very easy to trade with prior to Mackie and seemed to “take it easy” on clubs we were trading with.

I sense that has changed in recent years since Mackie has been involved.

I’m all for it.

I agree.

I always felt we were very easy to trade with prior to Mackie and seemed to “take it easy” on clubs we were trading with.

I sense that has changed in recent years since Mackie has been involved.

I’m all for it.
I feel like the landscape has changed aswell. It's more dogmatic than it used to be.

What worked once for Wells won't necessarily work for Mackie now. We've adapted well I believe.

More on the Waterman deal - happy for him to stay at WCE if these are the terms agreed to

In his 6 seasons prior to this year he had kicked a total of 79 goals, going at around 1 goal per game. This year he kicked 53 goals, going at 2.6 per game - he's cashed in on that form

For WCE sake you hope he maintains this year's form and keeps growing, if not it's a big pay raise off the back of a single good season

(Log in to remove this ad.)

More on the Waterman deal - happy for him to stay at WCE if these are the terms agreed to

In his 6 seasons prior to this year he had kicked a total of 79 goals, going at around 1 goal per game. This year he kicked 53 goals, going at 2.6 per game - he's cashed in on that form

For WCE sake you hope he maintains this year's form and keeps growing, if not it's a big pay raise off the back of a single good season

It's probably not bad of a deal. They front load it and they are probably struggling to reach the cap anyway

I think we need to draft or trade for a small defender. Mullin is not getting it done

I think we need to draft or trade for a small defender. Mullin is not getting it done
I think he will; we need to persevere with him, though it would not hurt if had competition for his spot. Maybe Atkins- I don't see him as a mid. Plus Bews has not been delisted.

Mullin is going to be an excellent player for Geelong. You can start drafting a post for the “I was wrong” thread.

I think he will; we need to persevere with him, though it would not hurt if had competition for his spot. Maybe Atkins- I don't see him as a mid. Plus Bews has not been delisted.
Jeka and Murdoch off the list. We'll need to draft a defender or two regardless. Preferably one of them a smaller type.
Bews and Atkins are 31 and 30 by the end of next season.

Jeka and Murdoch off the list. We'll need to draft a defender or two regardless. Preferably one of them a smaller type.
Bews and Atkins are 31 and 30 by the end of next season.
Clark?
Let's not forget Ian Nankervis and Aker started as BP's.

We probably do to replace Bews

Not sure Mullin will keep developing as a defender and wouldn't be surprised to see him start spending more time up the wing - he runs all day, pace to burn and has shown himself to be a pretty good user of the ball

Why not take advantage of that and make the opposition put the work into him

Mullin is going to be an excellent player for Geelong. You can start drafting a post for the “I was wrong” thread.
Yep, he's going to be just fine. The least of our problems.

I'm not keen on Jack Martin. Your thoughts?

At the risk of starting another Mullin debate I’m going to put this out there anyway.

Two Irish lads to trial with the Cats prior to testing at the draft combine.

Eoin McEvoy looks to have similar credentials to dear I say it

Oisin Mullin.

I’m all for continually adding an Irish lad to the Cat B. It’s a free hit, doesn’t cost anything and their skill translate really well.

This.

Even so, I'd be looking for a small defender with pace this draft period. Mullin is not there yet so we need some back up in case he regresses, and if Mullin does make it then it certainly won't hurt to have a couple given the recent trend towards mosquito fleets up forward (led by us I might say).

Yep, he's going to be just fine. The least of our problems.

I'm not keen on Jack Martin. Your thoughts?
I feel like it’s a low cost play with good potential upside. Don’t mind it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back