Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Ask and we'll try our best to assist - so here's 2024 Provisional AFL Draft Order

As normal, would like to acknowledge & thank Lore for creating this, keeping it up to date and making it available for all users on BF to use and keep track of the picks ahead of the upcoming draft

I'll also sticky this post to ensure it's easily accessible for discussion of our hypothetical trader

I don't consider myself to wear blinders when it comes to Geelong players, can normally view players pretty objectively, and I really don't understand people stating Mullin won't make it? He is 2 years into playing AFL, he has now played two finals and has been a contributor in both of them, and he will just continue to get better. He has speed to burn, does not shy away from the physical stuff, built solid as a rock, and is a great field kick as he showed in the second final. Why on earth would you NOT persevere with him, especially with how the game is now being played. Baffles me if people just have it in for him for some unknown reason.
It's his third year and he's been poor in 3/4 of his 18 games, he needs way more time learning the craft and his kicking may be good but as a run-with player he can't find the ball, if knevitt or clarke played as badly we would being hanging them off the rafters, but the good news is he has time to show improvement.

It's his third year and he's been poor in 3/4 of his 18 games, he needs way more time learning the craft and his kicking may be good but as a run-with player he can't find the ball, if knevitt or clarke played as badly we would being hanging them off the rafters, but the good news is he has time to show improvement.

This season was he second year.

I am leaning more towards getting no one in as not to stunt others.

If we assume Conway plays seniors then Stanley needs minutes to stay match fit. Also need to develop Furphy and Edwards as well. Vice Versa for Stanley playing seniors.

If we were to get someone I think it needs to be a forward ruck type. Someone who can ruck but is predominantly a forward.
So we are happy with a second rate ruck combination for another year, so that will be 14 years we haven’t had a decent ruckman. Just go and get one ffs and stop wasting time with g grade rookies ruckman..

I hate to say it, but I'm not even considering Cam when accounting for our 2025 fortunes personally.

My biggest worry is that even if he can stay fit, we don't know what Cam at 33 years of age actually gives us anymore.

It did get me thinking though, in terms of what our side could look like in the worst case scenario where all of Blicavs, Duncan, Stanley, & Guthrie are considered cooked.

FB: Z Guthrie De Koning J. Henry

HB: Stewart Kolodjashnij Humphries

C: Dempsey Smith Holmes

FO: Conway Bruhn Dangerfield

HF: Miers Cameron Close

FF: O Henry Neale Stengle

I/C: Mannagh, Bowes, Clark, Mullin

EMG: Atkins, O'Connor, O'Sullivan

I might be on my own, but I'm comfortable with how that side looks.

It probably doesn't get us into the finals, but in terms of development, I'd be at peace watching that side next year and seeing the transition almost completely take shape.

Particularly if we've kept our future first, then we can just enjoy watching younger players develop even if it's regarded as close to a worst case scenario.

It's all subjective of course, but if that's the doomsday in waiting that opposition fans are crying out for, it doesn't actually look that bad.
I have been running best 22s for next year in my head and at no point did I remember him 😢

The opposite foot kick under pressure to Close, which lead to Henry's third goal was ridiculously good for a player who had barely touched a Sherrin until last year.
I feel like this is direct evidence that as fans our standard for "showing patience with a developing kid" is so much stricter.

Trying to imagine how Mullin would be celebrated if he was at the saints

There is a tendency in some fans to remember the really big error or moment. Poor Zac Guthrie had his Roughead moment he could not shake in the minds of some for years. Blicavs had some bad moments early in his career. I could not forgive Kolo for when the ‘bad thing’ happened in third quarter of 2020 grand final for years tbh. These isolated incidents stay with people.

Mullin’s had a few bad moments, the Toby smother, the 3 minutes on Papley. But he shows some freakish talents as well.

P.S - That time Esava punched a certain goal back into play was a legitimately worrying incident and probably hinted at a deeper problem there.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ok Cats fans lets get back to Trade/Draft talk instead of our young Irish heartthrob.....

Scotty made reference to many Footies being "in the air" so to speak.

Outside of the obvious Bailey Smith and Jack Martin links.

Who are we thinking he was referring to?
Is "Mystery Mid" 2: Electric Boogaloo on the cards?
calder_daddy is usually ITK on the Mystery Mid. I'm sure cats_09 would agree its better to get some discussion going actually related to the thread.

Reckon "The Cold Cut" Deven Robertson would be a good shout.
Can't get a look in at the Lions, stayed when he probably shouldn't have and is about to get pushed out by Levi Ashcroft and young Lions academy kid Marshall. Gives us a former 1st round pick midfielder who can win footy.

Thoughts? Jumping Jack, Kobe Gryant, Warhorse, CatToTheFuture, Catman catempire

Last edited:
I hope we look at a Will Brodie, Matt Kennedy or Dev Robertson as a big bodied clearance mid.

What is the "solution" you're referring to?
What players can you pick up without using a first rounder that will be "the solution" ???

Likely none.

Look around the comp. How many mids traded for less than a 1st rounder are having a meaningful impact on their team? How many who couldn't get a game like Brodie and Robertson? I'm struggling to think of anyone.

We either need to develop our own (Clark, Clohesy, improvement from Bruhn and Holmes) or target high quality players who can really move the needle (eg Smith). Looking to solve our midfield issues with cheap trade ins who have been found wanting at prior clubs is a waste of time.

Ok Cats fans lets get back to Trade/Draft talk instead of our young Irish heartthrob.....

Scotty made reference to many Footies being "in the air" so to speak.

Outside of the obvious Baz and Jack Martin links.

Who are we thinking he was referring to?
Is "Mystery Mid" 2: Electric Boogaloo on the cards?
calder_daddy is usually ITK on the Mystery Mid. I'm sure cats_09 would agree its better to get some discussion going actually related to the thread.

Reckon Dev Robertson would be a good shout.
Can't get a look in at the Lions, stayed when he probably shouldn't have and is about to get pushed out but Levi Ashcroft and young Lions academy kid Marshall. Gives us a former 1st round pick midfielder who can win footy.

Thoughts? Jumping Jack, Kobe Gryant, Warhorse, CatToTheFuture, Catman catempire
Kind of a moot point because he seems to be headed home to west coast.

Feels like a good contested possession player who struggles to get it on the outside and isn't the greatest with his disposal. Not shifting the dial much for me.

Kind of a moot point because he seems to be headed home to west coast.

Feels like a good contested possession player who struggles to get it on the outside and isn't the greatest with his disposal. Not shifting the dial much for me.

He was supposed to be heading Home to Eagles last year and re-upped for more years at the Lions.
I thought he was for sure leaving to go there too but now not soo sure.

Any other guys you can think of or would be interested in?

Likely none.

Look around the comp. How many mids traded for less than a 1st rounder are having a meaningful impact on their team? How many who couldn't get a game like Brodie and Robertson? I'm struggling to think of anyone.

We either need to develop our own (Clark, Clohesy, improvement from Bruhn and Holmes) or target high quality players who can really move the needle (eg Smith). Looking to solve our midfield issues with cheap trade ins who have been found wanting at prior clubs is a waste of time.

Probably the best answer to it though.
Gonna need big years from Bruhn and Clark.

Baz should help massively too.

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back