Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Ask and we'll try our best to assist - so here's 2024 Provisional AFL Draft Order

As normal, would like to acknowledge & thank Lore for creating this, keeping it up to date and making it available for all users on BF to use and keep track of the picks ahead of the upcoming draft

I'll also sticky this post to ensure it's easily accessible for discussion of our hypothetical trader

So you're of the belief we could land Smith AND Oliver?

Yeah, definitely. I’ve been saying it on here for a while. My belief is use up our 2024FR and 2025FR. Load up for a premiership tilt in 2025 with Danger. Aim to get a free agent in 2025 for free for a change. If we don’t have trade assets, sides won’t match. And then 2026 is when we launch for Harley Reid and also target some other big name free agents who have been mentioned in here in the past, on the same premise that if we don’t have the picks, they won’t match. The club is being genius with their plays in my opinion and defining “rebuilding on the run.”

We have such good youth and such elite older talent. We just need those couple of elite prime aged midfielders to launch us into a different tier.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Can we play Stanley or Conway, with SDK taking the Blics type backup position on the wing/mid?
There was a couple of games where I think this happened because I remember thinking that SDK taking on the second ruck but was a better user of the ball with the 20 possessions he was getting, and Blicavs went into defence and saw him return to form.

I was actually hoping we would do it in the PF because we didn't need BOTH Bews and Mullin in the side.

Yeah, definitely. I’ve been saying it on here for a while. My belief is use up our 2024FR and 2025FR. Load up for a premiership tilt in 2025 with Danger. Aim to get a free agent in 2025 for free for a change. If we don’t have trade assets, sides won’t match. And then 2026 is when we launch for Harley Reid and also target some other big name free agents who have been mentioned in here in the past, on the same premise that if we don’t have the picks, they won’t match. The club is being genius with their plays in my opinion and defining “rebuilding on the run.”

We have such good youth and such elite older talent. We just need those couple of elite prime aged midfielders to launch us into a different tier.

Surely no one is paying a round 1 pick for Oliver - the only way I could see any team giving up that much in a trade for him is if Melbourne is paying 75% of his remaining contract

With the length and $$$ left on his deal, surely it wouldn't be anything more than either token picks involved, or potentially even Melbourne stumping up for a team to take him off their hands

If we pay a first round pick for Oliver, Melbourne would be making out like bandits

SDK seems to have struggled with his confidence since the face injury. Some players just take time to really get their confidence back if they suffer a significant injury. He showed what he could do in 2022 and a bit of patience will likely be rewarded by a return to that level.
He looked better when he was freed up to play in the ruck. I expect the club will persist with that next year.

Not that I’m aware of.

So does that mean they are going to try to move Oliver (I can't imagine anyone would take his whole contract but anyway) to keep petracca happy then?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Oliver has one of the worst contracts in the league.
No one is paying a r1 let alone an unprotected r1 that could be top 10, for him. That would be nuts

I love it

We've got some saying we've got genuine interest in Oliver and potentially all in for him

Others saying we've got no serious interest

I'm curious how this plays out
For all the fear around Oliver though, FishGutz is right, we almost owe it to ourselves to try.

10 points off a GF with Humphries, Dempsey, Holmes, Henry, & Mannagh all playing leagues above their current contracts.

Neale & Bruhn showing promise, with Clark, Conway, SDK, & COS waiting in the wings.

There has to be rational thinking here, but there's also an emotional element that we'd be doing ourselves a disservice if we didn't give it a try.

Providing it doesn't cost the world (E.g multiple first round picks) if it goes wrong, then it so be it.

We made an informed decision at the time to give ourselves the best chance for the 2025 season.

There’s a bit going on at Melbourne and it’s going to get ugly.
I tipped this months ago. I’ve been surprised it hasn’t boiled over yet.

Agreed. Ahead in a PF with 3 minutes to go.
Time to go chips in and go for another flag.

Too many clubs focus on being conservative not threatening the future and hopefully building for a flag one day. Those that win actually shoot for the green. Not just the fairway.

That's a Stan The Caddy reference as well.

The thing about Clayton AND Smith is that it likely does stifle the ability for Jhye Clark to break through and it could diminish the roles and capacity of the likes of Bowes and Bruhn and Atkins.

But alongside Dangerfield and Holmes if both can play good football or better then who cares. We're becoming quite a bit better in the midfield. Adapt or die.

What's the gist of the problem?
Various issues from the board through the coaches to the playing group. Disharmony is the best way to describe it. A lot of finger pointing.

The thing about Clayton AND Smith is that it likely does stifle the ability for Jhye Clark to break through and it could diminish the roles and capacity of the likes of Bowes and Bruhn and Atkins.

But alongside Dangerfield and Holmes if both can play good football or better then who cares. We're becoming quite a bit better in the midfield. Adapt or die.
Agreed, it doesn't matter.

Two of Bowes, Bruhn, Clark, & Atkins will get squeezed out, but that's just how it is. If they're good enough, they'll get their shot too.

Money would be on Atkins & Bowes, as they can at least play other roles without looking like they're shoe-horned in...but that's not important right now.

It comes with a lot of 'ifs' attached, but I must admit, Smith - Oliver - Holmes is a pretty exciting midfield trio.

A lot would have to go right, but we'd have a top 4 starting midfield once again, which would be a welcome change.

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back