Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Ask and we'll try our best to assist - so here's 2024 Provisional AFL Draft Order

As normal, would like to acknowledge & thank Lore for creating this, keeping it up to date and making it available for all users on BF to use and keep track of the picks ahead of the upcoming draft

I'll also sticky this post to ensure it's easily accessible for discussion of our hypothetical trader

Pert/ Goodwin and Roffey need to go this will stop the exodus at least for a year
The club has been a basket case for too long and the current administration has not got it into line.

Real head in the sand at Demon Land

That's not going to be an option for Melbourne. Nobody is taking on the vast majority of Oliver's wage and then paying for the privilege. He's still got 6 years as one of the highest paid players in the comp while he's performing like a VFL battler.

Realistically if he came for free somebody would probably offer him 6x $700k or so in the hope he turns things around. But that would still leave Melbourne paying $400-500k per year of his wage for 6 years.

I think the choice for Melbourne is either to accept a rebuild and cop paying half of Oliver's wage. Or go hard for the next few years, target free agents or trades now but that requires dumping most of Oliver's wage which will mean adding their first to the trade.
Do you think any club would offer Oliver 6 years at $700k/annum if he came for free?

That would be insane, if Geelong did that I would lose my rag.

Oliver is so far away from being in any shape to play footy it is ridiculous.

I doubt they will trade Oliver.. With that contract they will probably have tk trade their first pick and Oliver to get rid of it.
That won’t be enough.

It would need to be their first, plus they pay half his wage. And that still might not be enough.

Bowes’ contract situation was nowhere near as dire, he was a model professional and he was low risk. And the freight to get rid of him was pick 7.

Oliver is so toxic right now.

Do you think any club would offer Oliver 6 years at $700k/annum if he came for free?

I'm not his biggest fan, but he's really not.

Literally one good pre-season would be enough. The huge caveat is if he's mentally up for it.

He's not in AFL shape, that's obvious...but he's not 'fat' or anything like that, at least by societal standards.

6 months eating properly/alcohol free and training in a professional environment is more than enough time if he approached it like he has in the past, rather than he has recently.

The whole reason he's where he is now is because he hasn't been doing that.

Nah they'll keep Pickett IMO. He's 23 years old.

You build around those pieces for your next tilt, you don't trade them.

At least with Petracca, Oliver, and especially Viney, there's an argument that they won't be there for their next window, so you're better off getting pieces in who will be.
If you're picking one to throw out there for a pick though surely it's the elite small forward. His value at trade will be high and he's going to starve of entries without other pieces.

They need to keep Tracc and Viney no question

I think someone would.

By 2027 the average wage will go above $500k. So $700k per year isn't massive money. He'd be maybe you 8th-10th best paid player.

If after 2 seasons it's clearly not working you could probably negotiate a pay out of the last 4 seasons at a bit above average wage. It's still a hit but not calamitous like his current contract. I think somebody would do that convinced that they can turn him around.

That contract is so bad that I can’t see him leaving.

Melbourne will need to pay significant freight to get rid of him, so much so that it will be better for them to keep him around and pray that he gets even remotely better.

The only way he would leave is if Gawn and/or Petracca basically say either he goes or I go. Which may be realistic but any deal would cripple the club.

What an absolute cluster****.

Maybe freo and Melbourne could trade Oliver for Darcy with Melbourne including some draft pick compo as counterweight. Basically trade one albatross contract for another and hope a change of scenery does wonders. In that scenario, Melbourne would have to include a decent draft pick, that is how bad the Oliver deal is.

Oliver in Perth, what could go wrong?
Yeah things are not looking good for young Clayton but I'm sure there's people at most clubs who think they can diagnose and solve Clayton Oliver.

I expect Melbourne would pretend to not want him gone but behind closed doors I expect them to be a motivated seller. They're selling a house that is literally on fire, a few buyers are bringing a water truck to the inspection.

If you're picking one to throw out there for a pick though surely it's the elite small forward. His value at trade will be high and he's going to starve of entries without other pieces.

They need to keep Tracc and Viney no question
Not with where their list is at.

They're not Richmond. They have some decent young players to make sure this isn't a 5+ year rebuild, but they need to change direction.

Rivers, McVee, & even Pickett need midfield time, they're not getting anywhere with Viney & Clarry (at his current level) sucking up all the centre bounces.

It hasn't worked in a long time. People get tricked by the names, but watch Melbourne games and you'll see what I mean. They look so much more dangerous and unpredictable in there with at least a couple of their youngsters.

You'd trade Viney 100 times before trading Pickett. They get this right and they can be back within 3-4 years.

Viney will be retired, Pickett will be entering his prime.

That won’t be enough.

It would need to be their first, plus they pay half his wage. And that still might not be enough.

Bowes’ contract situation was nowhere near as dire, he was a model professional and he was low risk. And the freight to get rid of him was pick 7.

Gold Coast were over a barrel where they either dumped Bowes or they lost an Anderson/Rowell/King. They had cooked their cap completely.

Melbourne aren't in the same circumstance. They're not going to lose a gun youngster if they can't get rid of Oliver's wage. My bet is if he's traded they end up covering a lot of his wage still rather than adding a pick.

Not with where their list is at.

They're not Richmond. They have some decent young players to make sure this isn't a 5+ year rebuild, but they need to change direction.

Rivers, McVee, & even Pickett need midfield time, they're not getting anywhere with Viney & Clarry (at his current level) sucking up all the centre bounces.

It hasn't worked in a long time. People get tricked by the names, but watch Melbourne games and you'll see what I mean. They look so much more dangerous and unpredictable in there with at least a couple of their youngsters.

You'd trade Viney 100 times before trading Pickett. They get this right and they can be back within 3-4 years.

Viney will be retired, Pickett will be entering his prime.
Yeah, I'm saying keep Tracc and Viney sell Pickett. Richmond would sell both.

Chris Scott has stated on at least a few occassions that TPP management is the greatest competitive adavantage in the new brave world of AFL - looking at a few clubs, I think he is proving to be correct

as in flat 700k a year for 6?? of course man. you need to take into account the CBA rises coming.

guys like hardwick and zurhar are getting more than 700 a year after extending this year and those two couldnt tie oliver shoelaces if he is up and running. big if.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Gold Coast were over a barrel where they either dumped Bowes or they lost an Anderson/Rowell/King. They had cooked their cap completely.

Melbourne aren't in the same circumstance. They're not going to lose a gun youngster if they can't get rid of Oliver's wage. My bet is if he's traded they end up covering a lot of his wage still rather than adding a pick.
Either way, they'd be taking calls on the topic and I don't know they'd rule much out until they spoke to all parties

Yeah, I'm saying keep Tracc and Viney sell Pickett. Richmond would sell both.
You don't sell an All Australian calibre talent at 23 when you're trying to bring in young talent.

If he was 27 you'd have an argument, not 23. It defeats the whole purpose. You take your picks to the draft and add to guys like Pickett, Rivers, McVee, JVR, Windsor etc.

Viney's a 30 year old midfielder in the 'pretty good' category. He's like a suped up version of Tom Atkins at this stage in his career.

Listen to Melbourne fans thoughts on him who see him every week. They'd trade him 1000 times over before Pickett.

It would be like us really falling off next year and trading Ollie Dempsey just because he'd have some value.

You get guys in who can add to him, you don't trade him.

It seems that something has to give at Melbourne. Pretty sure it will not be Trac or Kysiaiah. But the club has to take action. So Clarry to Geelong makes sense for Melbourne at least from the outside. The Dees will have to eat a big chunk of his contract, Collingwood style. Then if I was Mackie I'd be demanding that Oliver agrees to alter his contract so that it has a performance based clause built in. Why would Clarry do this? Because he needs a fresh start and the performance clause helps him with him disipline. Its a win for Clarry.

I would expect the Dees don't get anything like full trade value, once again, like the Pies did with Grundy.

So if I'm Andrew Mackie that would be my thinking. Clarry and Baz in hoops for this years first and second.

I boy can dream.

I think someone would.

By 2027 the average wage will go above $500k. So $700k per year isn't massive money. He'd be maybe you 8th-10th best paid player.

If after 2 seasons it's clearly not working you could probably negotiate a pay out of the last 4 seasons at a bit above average wage. It's still a hit but not calamitous like his current contract. I think somebody would do that convinced that they can turn him around.
North could and should do it.

It seems that something has to give at Melbourne. Pretty sure it will not be Trac or Kysiaiah. But the club has to take action. So Clarry to Geelong makes sense for Melbourne at least from the outside. The Dees will have to eat a big chunk of his contract, Collingwood style. Then if I was Mackie I'd be demanding that Oliver agrees to alter his contract so that it has a performance based clause built in. Why would Clarry do this? Because he needs a fresh start and the performance clause helps him with him disipline. Its a win for Clarry.

I would expect the Dees don't get anything like full trade value, once again, like the Pies did with Grundy.

So if I'm Andrew Mackie that would be my thinking. Clarry and Baz in hoops for this years first and second.

I boy can dream.
If we could get both of them without giving up our future first then you'd do it.

Most of the reward with virtually none of the risk, unlike what Richmond, Hawthorn, & Collingwood have done in recent years.

If it all goes wrong and blows up in our faces...it's one pick in the teens and a couple of seconds. Hardly club defining stuff.

You take that risk, especially if there's a performance/termination clause in there for Oliver as you mention.

Sure they would, but there's a big "if" is attached to that.

If... said club spoke to Oliver and were happy and confident that he would get back near his best then plenty would jump on it.

Everything depends on all the details behind the scenes that we can only speculate about.

You don't sell an All Australian calibre talent at 23 when you're trying to bring in young talent.

If he was 27 you'd have an argument, not 23. It defeats the whole purpose. You take your picks to the draft and add to guys like Pickett, Rivers, McVee, JVR, Windsor etc.

Viney's a 30 year old midfielder in the 'pretty good' category. He's like a suped up version of Tom Atkins at this stage in his career.

Listen to Melbourne fans thoughts on him who see him every week. They'd trade him 1000 times over before Pickett.

It would be like us really falling off next year and trading Ollie Dempsey just because he'd have some value.

You get guys in who can add to him, you don't trade him.
Yeah it's not the age or quality, it's that he's a small forward. I'm not sure you can effectively build around that

That won’t be enough.

Low risk, but lower reward. Oliver is also a 3 x all Australian, 2 x AFLCA MVP. So comparisons to Bowes are not relevant for multiple reasons.

I boy can dream.
If you are going to do this then you have to have budgeted into your Football Department Budget salary for a person to manage Clayton. It does not look like he can be trusted at this time to manage himself. Do we have people with the required skillset?

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back