Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Ask and we'll try our best to assist - so here's 2024 Provisional AFL Draft Order

As normal, would like to acknowledge & thank Lore for creating this, keeping it up to date and making it available for all users on BF to use and keep track of the picks ahead of the upcoming draft

I'll also sticky this post to ensure it's easily accessible for discussion of our hypothetical trader

The Dan Houston suspension articles are saying he's looking to return to Victoria.

27 years old, pretty hard player. Wonder what it'd cost to get him?

Contracted to 2027 according to Footywire

Melbourne

That's after ANB, Oliver, Petracca & Viney all move on 😉

In all seriousness, I can see Parfitt finding a new home, whether for a late trade or as a DFA - a team like Richmond or North where they could view a player with 100+ games experience as a good option to have around the club, even if it's as depth working with their VFL team to help with the developing youngsters
North wouldn’t go anywhere near him
An afl list needs 10+ midfielders
I can’t see him going to a team for depth.
You need around 5/6 in your starting 22 with someone who will pinch him a few times a game.

The Dan Houston suspension articles are saying he's looking to return to Victoria.

27 years old, pretty hard player. Wonder what it'd cost to get him?

Contracted to 2027 according to Footywire

Two first rounders minimum surely? He's contracted and an AA level player.

Didn't want to make a new thread about it, but we are speculating on possible retirements and delistings in here lately so it seems on topic.

What are we thinking our best 23 in 2025 might look like?

FB:
Z.Guthrie SDK Kolo
HB: Stewart J.Henry Humphries

C: Holmes Smith Dempsey
FOL: Conway Bowes Dangerfield

HF: Miers Cameron Close
FF: Stengle Neale O.Henry

IC: Bruhn Clark Mannagh Duncan Mullin(sub)

Depth: Blicavs COS Rohan Atkins MOC Clohesy Willis

Dependent on B.Smith arriving of course. Otherwise Atkins stays in the side.

That best 23 would only have 4 players aged 30+ (one in each part of the field and on the bench), or 3 if Duncan was displaced by someone like O'Connor.

Assuming the sub player alternates and Mullin plays most games (sub or starting), that would be 4 new players in our best 23 - which seems to be the average from 2021 onwards.

Didn't want to make a new thread about it, but we are speculating on possible retirements and delistings in here lately so it seems on topic.

FB:
Z.Guthrie SDK Kolo

That best 23 would only have 4 players aged 30+ (one in each part of the field and on the bench), or 3 if Duncan was displaced by someone like O'Connor.

Assuming the sub player alternates and Mullin plays most games (sub or starting), that would be 4 new players in our best 23 - which seems to be the average from 2021 onwards.
The bench for me gets grey. Clark Duncan Mullin are probably not playing 23 games.

Also fair chance we see Blitz backline, SDK ruck, Conway rehab.

Atkins out of the 23 is pretty mind blowing. It's overloaded for mids but thin in the midfield

The bench for me gets grey. Clark Duncan Mullin are probably not playing 23 games.

Also fair chance we see Blitz backline, SDK ruck, Conway rehab.

Atkins out of the 23 is pretty mind blowing. It's overloaded for mids but thin in the midfield
Yeah the bench and depth is fairly interchangeable there.

Agreed about Conway, in this scenario I was simply going glass half full for players bodies holding up. Like everyone I have concerns about Conway's durability.

About Atkins, I sort of agree but think about it this way: If we get Smith in, we've added a full time midfielder. Then do you really think Clark will play less games than 2024? Whether he's been convincing or not, I can't see them making him take the year to "force" someone like Atkins out of the team. So then we're left with Bruhn and Bowes. Their ceiling is higher than Atkins at this stage. Bruhn is a bit like a mini Conway (not as extreme), as far as injuries, knocks and niggles disrupting his momentum. If he is healthy you'd think he plays.

So that's how I came to the conclusion that the other midfielders would play more often than Atkins IF we get Smith.

FB:
Z.Guthrie SDK Kolo

I just posted this and it kinda ties into things:

I'm not sure if Duncan will go on, but I also don't think we'll hear anything until after the finals series - he may well decide it's his time to retire, especially with his good mate Hawkins also retiring

Over the next 2-3 years we'll be losing a shit load of experience and no doubt the club will want to balance that out across those years rather than too much at once - here's our current over 30s and in the brackets is year they're next out of contract:

• Bews (24)
  • Blicavs (25)
  • Cameron (25/26 - trigger clause to go into 2026)
  • Dangerfield (24)
  • Duncan (24)
  • C. Guthrie (25)
  • Hawkins, known to be retiring this year
  • Rohan (24)
  • Stanley (24)
  • Stewart (27)
  • Tuohy (24)

With 7 out of contract this year, I don't think we'll want to lose all 7 and think we'll likely see 1 or 2 (maybe 3) given one year extensions sometime after the season is finished - thinking most likely will be Dangerfield, Duncan and Bews or Rohan depending on how they're thinking

In terms of retiring after next year, IF Guthrie has a 3rd injury impacted year then he potentially announces his retirement, while Blicavs it could well depend on how he goes over summer. The latter has barely missed a bit over the years but definitely slowed a bit this year - is that purely due to being 33 or is there an underlying issue, and that time off over summer, get the body right and he'll potentially look a new player type thing next year

Anyone that goes on from this year would then seem a high chance to retire next year

Having around 4 retire each year, along with the younger delistings would be a hit to the list but not as bad as if we were to lose 5 or 6 in a single year

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah the bench and depth is fairly interchangeable there.

Agreed about Conway, in this scenario I was simply going glass half full for players bodies holding up. Like everyone I have concerns about Conway's durability.

About Atkins, I sort of agree but think about it this way: If we get Smith in, we've added a full time midfielder. Then do you really think Clark will play less games than 2024? Whether he's been convincing or not, I can't see them making him take the year to "force" someone like Atkins out of the team. So then we're left with Bruhn and Bowes. Their ceiling is higher than Atkins at this stage. Bruhn is a bit like a mini Conway (not as extreme), as far as injuries, knocks and niggles disrupting his momentum. If he is healthy you'd think he plays.

So that's how I came to the conclusion that the other midfielders would play more often than Atkins IF we get Smith.
Yeah on the midfield I'm not knocking the choice, just noting that the name's are interchangeable and the depth doesn't look like getting it done.

Geelong Cats premiership player Zach Tuohy has today announced his retirement.

The 34-year-old, who will hang up the boots at the conclusion of Geelong’s 2024 campaign, has enjoyed a remarkable career across two clubs after being recruited out of Portlaoise in County Laois Ireland in 2010.

Right decision but still sad - an absolute fan favourite, and wonderful he was able to win that flag before the end.

Yeah on the midfield I'm not knocking the choice, just noting that the name's are interchangeable and the depth doesn't look like getting it done.
Isn't expecting that the whole idea of supporting a younger group?

Conway, Smith, Holmes, Bruhn, Dempsey, & Clark might not get it done next year...but they could within two years, or three years, or whatever it ends up being.

I know we all want to compete every year. The club clearly does too, but there's just some things that we can only change with time and experience.

In a league with stringent handicaps, the reality is we'll likely have a weakness somewhere on the ground.

So we have 2 legends having announced they are retiring.

Tom HAWKINS
Zac TUOHY

Hearing Rhys STANLEY will have his day Friday.
Anyone hearing the same...??

Isn't expecting that the whole idea of supporting a younger group?

Conway, Smith, Holmes, Bruhn, Dempsey, & Clark might not get it done next year...but they could within two years, or three years, or whatever it ends up being.

I know we all want to compete every year. The club clearly does too, but there's just some things that we can only change with time and experience.

In a league with stringent handicaps, the reality is we'll likely have a weakness somewhere on the ground.
Sure but feels like supporting a younger group is accepting plan B a bit

You are probably right about Neale. But structurally he is very important to our list.

I worked on the theory of who is more valuable to us than anyone else, then listed those players.

Humprhries is interesting. I considered him but came to the conclusion that we could replace him if necessary. I also thought “if Harley Reid wanted out and WC demanded our next 3 first rounders plus humphries would I say yes?”. And the answer was that I would pack Humphries bags for him and drive him to the airport.
I think you underestimate how much Humphries improves the players around him with his elite vision, decision making and disposal. That is hard to measure 🙂

So we have 2 legends having announced they are retiring.

Tom HAWKINS
Zac TUOHY

Hearing Rhys STANLEY will have his day Friday.
Anyone hearing the same...??
I was told last week that Tuohy and Stanley (great mates) were going to do a joint announcement but looks like the club has talked them out of that. So yes, I'd imagine that we'll hear from Stanley very soon as he's already told players that he's retiring.

No surprises as yet with those announcement of Hawkins and Touhy / Stanley but I think Mitch Duncan is a close watch. I think 6-8 weeks ago he was more than likely going again next year, although I personally think he's done. With the emergence of Humphries off half back and the likely inclusion of Bailey Smith on a wing / midfield role, I think his card has been stamped. He's been great for the club but it's a young mans game ad if he gets another year I think he'll play lots of VFL minutes.

If given a choice I think I'd keep Bews before Duncan. Duncan has never been quick but boy he's looked gassed this year when there's pace on the game.

Sure but feels like supporting a younger group is accepting plan B a bit
In another league maybe.

Over here Plan A is a spending spree on whatever is available, and it's dictated by the market that's actually there.

I don't think Port had BZT & Sav at the top of their list to solve their defensive issues, but that was the reality of the market at the time.

Plan B is backing in the kids, and acknowledging that it might not all click within a year or two.

There's not much we can do. I don't believe we'd be 'settling' if we backed in the kids next year, we'd just be living that reality.

It's not as simple as bringing in two gun mids and a ruck. Even if you can pull it off, it comes with consequences that other sports don't have to deal with.

For some reason I thought Duncan was still contracted for 1 more year.

Ok if not then it does make things interesting with him.

One would assume that he will be taking a mega pay cut to play on one more year and that itself might shift things for him.

Lots of leadership is going out the door, so I wouldn't be shocked to see Mitch go one more year... but he'd need to be happy with whatever is tabled to him.

I was told last week that Tuohy and Stanley (great mates) were going to do a joint announcement but looks like the club has talked them out of that. So yes, I'd imagine that we'll hear from Stanley very soon as he's already told players that he's retiring.

No surprises as yet with those announcement of Hawkins and Touhy / Stanley but I think Mitch Duncan is a close watch. I think 6-8 weeks ago he was more than likely going again next year, although I personally think he's done. With the emergence of Humphries off half back and the likely inclusion of Bailey Smith on a wing / midfield role, I think his card has been stamped. He's been great for the club but it's a young mans game ad if he gets another year I think he'll play lots of VFL minutes.

If given a choice I think I'd keep Bews before Duncan. Duncan has never been quick but boy he's looked gassed this year when there's pace on the game.

We've got 7 veterans in the 30+ aged bracket off contract this season, and not sure we can really afford to lose all of them this year
  • Bews
  • Dangerfield - expected to re-sign for 1 or 2 years
  • Duncan
  • Hawkins - retirement announced
  • Rohan
  • Stanley - announcement expected soon
  • Tuohy - retirement announced

We seem comfortable in knowing 3 are retiring, while we know Dangerfield wants to play on with reports suggesting he's after a 2-year deal, but surely it's more likely single year at a time or a trigger clause worked into it

That then leaves Bews, Duncan & Rohan - if all 3 retire/move on, then that's a lot of experience off the list when we don't exactly know who's coming in. My question is if we encourage two of them to play on next year, knowing they may not play every week but that their experience amongst the developin playing group would be invaluable

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back