Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Ask and we'll try our best to assist - so here's 2024 Provisional AFL Draft Order

As normal, would like to acknowledge & thank Lore for creating this, keeping it up to date and making it available for all users on BF to use and keep track of the picks ahead of the upcoming draft

I'll also sticky this post to ensure it's easily accessible for discussion of our hypothetical trader

It is common knowledge Baz requested to stay in Victoria in his draft year. He went pick 7 to WB. Don’t know if others remember, but the next pick held by a Victorian team (other than NM and Collingwood - who needed to match bids for Thomas and Quaynor respectively) was pick 15…. which was us. This was during a period before live pick trading. I wonder if we were a decent chance to get Baz on draft night looking back.

It is common knowledge Baz requested to stay in Victoria in his draft year. He went pick 7 to WB. Don’t know if others remember, but the next pick held by a Victorian team (other than NM and Collingwood - who needed to match bids for Thomas and Quaynor respectively) was pick 15…. which was us. This was during a period before live pick trading. I wonder if we were a decent chance to get Baz on draft night looking back.
Pretty sure there was live pick trading in that draft. I am sure we did it to pick a few players later that draft.

Holmes might be the fastest player in the league. Knevitt tested really well in the 20m sprint. Bruhn is explosive. Even Clark is not slow.

None of these guys except Holmes has the conditioning to back up effort after effort week after week but that's normal for young midfielders. They'll all look much quicker in 2-3 years once their bodies have developed.
Yeah I'm not sure I agree with a lot of this. Holmes definitely explosive in the middle but we need to stop playing him off half back to do that. I think he needs someone else attracting oppo attention at the moment to really get to what we want from him.

Knevitt might have tested well on a track but it doesn't translate to the field. Bruhn I wouldn't say is explosive though he does have a knack for going to the right position in traffic to find himself a bit.of space. Clark isn't slow but also isn't quick.

I really think a bit of pace is the missing ingredient that makes this whole show run better. A bigger unit like an LDU would also go a long way once Danger is done and Stewy is sent back to HBF

We know we've got 7 veterans in the 30+ aged bracket the are out of contract at seasons end - we also know that 2 have announced their retirements with at least one further announcement expected shortly

• Bews
  • Dangerfield - expected to re-sign for 1 or 2 years
  • Duncan
  • Hawkins - retirement announced
  • Rohan
  • Stanley - announcement expected soon
  • Tuohy - retirement announced

Here's our under 30s off contract this season:
  • Foster
  • O. Henry
  • Kolodjashnij
  • Parfitt
  • Willis

Here's the rookies:
  • Clohesy
  • Hardie
  • Jeka
  • Murdoch

That's a total of 16 players out of contract, and I know we're not afraid to turn over our list but that seems a hell of a lot of turnover if the vast majority are gone come October

Looking through those names, I think at this stage the consensus on re-signing would be on maybe 4 - 6, and even that seems to be debated:
  • Dangerfield
  • Duncan ?
  • O. Henry; though some seem willing to trade him
  • Kolodjashnij
  • Willis ?
  • Clohesy ?

With Smith the main opposition player we're currently linked to, then there's been suggestions of AD also, that's only 2 in about 10 out... That'll require either a number of DFAs to help fill gaps, or a number of late draft picks to go with a number of rookie picks

That's why I'm not opposed to offering Parfitt a late 1-year extension, but if another team offered him 2 or 3 years, he'd be crazy not to take it

Same with offering 1 year deals to the likes of Bews, Duncan & Rohan, as thinking they'd be better back up options than say Foster who we can try to replace with say Pike

Really don't want to be losing 10 players in one off season when there's not necessarily the players coming in to replace them - that doesn't mean we need to re-sign them now, but keep that option open

I think we still have scope to cut Parfitt. I would go with the below:

Farewell
Hawkins
Rohan
Stanley
Tuohy
Foster
Murdoch
Parfitt
Hardie

Keep please
Dangerfield
Duncan
Bews
O. Henry
Kolodjashnij
Willis
Clohesy
Jeka

8 players out seems pretty reasonable and a fairly normal turnover level. We've dropped more than that plenty of times.

I agree with CTTF here and personally I'd be bummed if we missed on Smith.

We need to inject some more speed and run through the middle.

We don't have anyone coming through that ticks those boxes.

The midfield is an issue and I don't see it improving rapidly without bringing in more talent.
Holmes will likely keep building his midfield minutes. Maybe over time Dempsey will too? Smith, Holmes and Dempsey would be plenty of pace/agility at or around stoppages. Then we'd need the others to hold up their end of the bargain as far as grunt and contested work - that to me is still a bit of a question mark. We really, really need one of Bruhn or Clark to take big strides forward. Or else find another "bull". Once Danger goes - and he may very well decline a lot in 2025 - it will leave a big hole in that regard.

Holmes will likely keep building his midfield minutes. Maybe over time Dempsey will too? Smith, Holmes and Dempsey would be plenty of pace/agility at or around stoppages. Then we'd need the others to hold up their end of the bargain as far as grunt and contested work - that to me is still a bit of a question mark. We really, really need one of Bruhn or Clark to take big strides forward. Or else find another "bull". Once Danger goes - and he may very well decline a lot in 2025 - it will leave a big hole in that regard.
I do think Dempsey has a bit of connor rozee about him

I do think Dempsey has a bit of connor rozee about him
Yeah Dempsey needs to hit the gym and absolutely maximise what he can out of his slender frame. But maybe in that 23-25 year old range he gets there. Not that you need to be an absolute tank to play midfield - he would be the outside burst player. But currently he does suit wing and half forward a bit more.

I wonder if, as retirements accumulate, Mannagh gets thrown in the guts a bit more like we did with Chapman, Johnson and Stokes at different stages. It seems we've flirted with Miers in that role but he is better suited to the being the link player just outside of stoppage rather than in the actual nitty gritty.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah I'm not sure I agree with a lot of this. Holmes definitely explosive in the middle but we need to stop playing him off half back to do that. I think he needs someone else attracting oppo attention at the moment to really get to what we want from him.

Knevitt might have tested well on a track but it doesn't translate to the field. Bruhn I wouldn't say is explosive though he does have a knack for going to the right position in traffic to find himself a bit.of space. Clark isn't slow but also isn't quick.

I really think a bit of pace is the missing ingredient that makes this whole show run better. A bigger unit like an LDU would also go a long way once Danger is done and Stewy is sent back to HBF

Holmes played a ton of mid against St Kilda last weekend, 16 CBAs.

I think we still have scope to cut Parfitt. I would go with the below:

Farewell
Hawkins
Rohan
Stanley
Tuohy
Foster
Murdoch
Parfitt
Hardie

Keep please
Dangerfield
Duncan
Bews
O. Henry
Kolodjashnij
Willis
Clohesy
Jeka

8 players out seems pretty reasonable and a fairly normal turnover level. We've dropped more than that plenty of times.
Let's just say we end up with Smith & Davies (or similar).

That's still 6 list spots with token picks, as our first will be going to the Dogs, and probably our second too.

Proving again that 10-12 is just way too deep with what we're capable of bringing in over one off-season.

I trust the club to have a surprise or two hidden away at the end of the draft. It's just their MO, but I don't think they're going to have 4+ of them.

Let's just say we end up with Smith & Davies (or similar).

That's still 6 list spots with token picks, as our first will be going to the Dogs, and probably our second too.

Proving again that 10-12 is just way too deep with what we're capable of bringing in over one off-season.

I trust the club to have a surprise or two hidden away at the end of the draft. It's just their MO, but I don't think they're going to have 4+ of them.
We turned over 8 spots last year with no trade ins. 2021 we traded in Ceglar only and turned over 10 spots.

I don't think it's that out there

He certainly did, and I like him there long term, but I did not like that game of football much.
Holmes is hit and miss when we have put him in the guts the past 2 years. We just have to hope it's more hit than miss as the years go on and it (likely) becomes his primary position. He needs to work on execution and decision making to make it as a midfielder. After 4 or 5 blind bomb kicks on Saturday, he lowered his eyes and hit a beautiful daisy cutter pass to a leading forward. We need to see a bit more of that for him to take the next step.

People can point to Dangerfield's disposal being been erratic (of course there's truth to that), but he still hits plenty of good ones in between the memorable shanks. I.e his score involvement to clanger ratio has mostly been very strong. So there is hurt factor to his possessions that make up for the ones that are sprayed.

He certainly did, and I like him there long term, but I did not like that game of football much.

Holmes needs to clean up his kicking and decision making if he's going to play mid or forward of centre. It's alright streaming off half back and booting it as long as he can to gain metres, but he can't be getting the ball forward of centre and just launching it to the hot spot every i50 for the opposition to pick it off.

We turned over 8 spots last year with no trade ins. 2021 we traded in Ceglar only and turned over 10 spots.

I don't think it's that out there
We kept our first round pick though, and eventually had the picks that became Mannagh & Edwards, which were still decent selections.

This year it's likely we'll be starting from 40 or 50, with 6 list spots.

If we're just bringing in Smith and it's a no on Davies, or Oliver, or whoever else, that number becomes 7 with all the selections post 40 or 50.

Can't get into a habit of doing that every year.

Might be time to hand the chill pills around on the Bailey Smith stuff. Few people getting ruffled feathers and getting very impatient. Have faith.

This will all unfold soon enough, and largely be dictated by how far Cats and Dogs progress through finals. Smith's manager (or Smith) won't say a word until both sides are knocked out.

FWIW I think Geelong are going out in straight sets if they finish 4th. Lose to Swans first week - and assuming Lions beat Blues, we'd be hard pressed to beat the Lions week 2 at the G. But let's say we do, then I reckon a Prelim appearance would see us out, and be a great result for the club given where most so called experts had us finishing.

So depending on how Cats and Dogs progress I'd imagine we'll start to get confirmation of where this sits around prelim final week. Wouldn't be surprised to see the Dogs find themselves in a GF though.

agree with all of this.

i am fine with us losing two finals if it does happen as finals footy is invaluable for any young players. most teams prefer to die on their ass and go for early picks but we play to win even if the team is not quite there in terms of talent.

difference between pick 1 and pick in the teens is potential sure but after the player enters the system is all about delveopment, coaching, team mates, etc and we have shown we can get late picks to play good footy.

We kept our first round pick though, and eventually had the picks that became Mannagh & Edwards, which were still decent selections.

If we're just bringing in Smith and it's a no on Davies, or Oliver, or whoever else, that number becomes 7 with all the selections post 40 or 50.

We might trade back into this year's first round using future picks, like we did to get Holmes.

Yeah but we traded out a player to get that, and the pick thrown to us for Mannagh was thrown in because it wasn't that highly valued, we picked the eyes out on the section of the draft but take our picks out there's not much there.

This year we trade out our first and add Smith that's a bargain. You're adding enough to cover the second pick which would be in the 40s.

We drop 10-11 all the time. I would prefer to limit the loss to the 8 but 11 isn't outrageous given we do it on the regular

We might trade back into this year's first round using future picks, like we did to get Holmes.
When we did that we added Cameron, Smith, Higgins and rightly expected the pick to be late.

Smith will give us a bump but big enough to ensure we get bang for buck from that selection? Wouldn't think so. Maybe trade out future 2nd for a current 2nd but I wouldn't touch the first

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back