Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Ask and we'll try our best to assist - so here's 2024 Provisional AFL Draft Order

As normal, would like to acknowledge & thank Lore for creating this, keeping it up to date and making it available for all users on BF to use and keep track of the picks ahead of the upcoming draft

I'll also sticky this post to ensure it's easily accessible for discussion of our hypothetical trader

Barrass took a pay cut to stay when he was drawing huge interest around the League and West Coast went back on their word to him when they said they'd "owe him" by paying up later....that didn't happen.

Now is that Tom's fault for expecting a business to keep their word and not surprisingly the business looked out for the business first or is that West Coast's fault for being stingy?
Can't honestly say but i'm not surprised at all that he's pissed/his agent isn't happy and they're trying to force their way out.

Don't think this is a similar situation where Tom wants to stay local and is happy at the Eagles.
All the goodwill from the last time his name was thrown around in trade negotiations has been destroyed. There's a reason he didn't play in Round 24 against us.
I hope Reid and his agent are taking notes

Let’s just remember Barrass also requested a trade to Sydney last year and WC didn’t do it
Has 3 years to run on a contract and is VC of the club
If I'm west coast I'm putting the pin in this one unless it works for them in trade value

Having him there taking the heat for a couple of years is huge for trying to focus the rebuild on other areas. It's probably not at the point where they can ignore defence entirely but the value add of keeping him for West Coast can't be under stated. Especially when you can draft a kid and sit in him as an understudy instead of throwing him to the wolves

*Cultural impacts of retaining a player who doesn't want to be there not considered and may affect decision

100%

Smith will happen but there’s at least one other “name” midfielder who is a real target. Stuffed if I can get any inside info from anyone other than the club wanting to bring ready made players in to bolster our midfield.

Comment made to me was that the club will go hard again.

Anyone want to take a stab at who the "mystery mid" "name midfielder" will be?

Does Riley Garcia count as a "name midfielder"???
He's kind of like a hybrid half forward/mid...does he even count as a "name"

Suggestions?

Headline Herald Sun today says "Cat keen on move"

Can't read due to paywall

Anyone know who it is they are referring?
Don't have access, but did a google. "CAT KEEN ON MOVE. Geelong's unrestricted free agent Brandan Parfitt is yet to be offered a new contract and is seeking fresh opportunities ..." as was mentioned earlier in this thread.

Well it has to come with every player that walks into the club.

They're not going to recruit players that have no potential, are they?

The difference between Geelong and other clubs, for us, is that we believe our team are better at identifying it than other teams.
You are indeed Correct.
My post was more directed to the "crucified" part for not meeting that "potential".

Here's a name we can cross off our wanted list in the coming year.
A mate of mine with some knowledge of a situation that is looming.
TDK will be moving north... Sunny north.
Here's words were.
He'll be set for life!!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Parf.

CAT KEEN ON MOVE

Geelong’s unrestricted free agent Brandan Parfitt is yet to be offered a new contract and is seeking fresh opportunities two years on from being a late-minute call-up for the 2022 premiership.

Parfitt was the medi-sub in that game but has played only nine games in each of the past two seasons despite his clearance potential and undoubted ball-winning gifts.

Clubs like Melbourne (keen to add midfield experience) and West Coast (who need more midfield depth) have both shown some early interest in Parfitt.

But with list spots tight and plenty of midfielders likely to move clubs, there is plenty to play out for the 26-year-old.

He averaged 4.8 clearances and 6.3 tackles in his nine games but gradually fell from favour and has played only a single game since mid-season.

Geelong has Tom Hawkins and Zach Tuohy retiring but is yet to make a call on Rhys Stanley and Mitch Duncan.

Patrick Dangerfield is yet to sign a new contract but will play on next year on a one or two year deal.

Here's words were.
He'll be set for life!!

Interesting......I never saw him coming to Geelong, but never saw him leaving the Blues for GC either.

CAT KEEN ON MOVE

Geelong’s unrestricted free agent Brandan Parfitt is yet to be offered a new contract and is seeking fresh opportunities two years on from being a late-minute call-up for the 2022 premiership.

Parfitt was the medi-sub in that game but has played only nine games in each of the past two seasons despite his clearance potential and undoubted ball-winning gifts.

Clubs like Melbourne (keen to add midfield experience) and West Coast (who need more midfield depth) have both shown some early interest in Parfitt.

But with list spots tight and plenty of midfielders likely to move clubs, there is plenty to play out for the 26-year-old.

He averaged 4.8 clearances and 6.3 tackles in his nine games but gradually fell from favour and has played only a single game since mid-season.

Geelong has Tom Hawkins and Zach Tuohy retiring but is yet to make a call on Rhys Stanley and Mitch Duncan.

Patrick Dangerfield is yet to sign a new contract but will play on next year on a one or two year deal.

Here's the FoxFooty article on Parfitt

CAT TO LEAVE... BUT NEW HOME UNCERTAIN

Geelong onballer Brandan Parfitt is expected to leave the Cattery at season’s end, but whether he locates a new home isn’t certain.

The 26-year-old has played 130 games since debuting in 2017 and was a part of Geelong’s 2022 premiership after being called up late for an injured Max Holmes, and he is eligible for unrestricted free agency this year.

Parfitt has managed just nine senior games in each of the past two seasons and reportedly doesn’t have a contract offer on the tablefrom the Cats.

However, while a departure seems imminent, a destination for Parfitt is less clear.

“He looked for a new home,” Herald Sun journalist Jon Ralph told Fox Footy’s Midweek Tackleon Tuesday night, before reeling off a couple of potential landing spots.

“Melbourne wants to bring in experienced midfielders, West Coast is open to free agents like him and Jack Graham.

“He (is looking) for options right now ... He looked for a new home, (but) whether he finds one is another thing altogether.”

The NT Thunder product has played nine VFL games this year for averages of 26.4 disposals, 2.2 marks and 4.7 tackles.

Wasn't there a report a few weeks back that McRae wants to stay in Melbourne city as it's similar to Todd Goldstein's situation with broken family? Doesn't want to move too far away from kids?

Or am I misremembering it?
I swear even one of the reporters (maybe Tom Morris) said similar?

It's one of the downsides of being more regional Victoria is that while we attract locals and peeps that love surfing, fishing, farming etc. that if players have family located closer to CBD or like the bright lights/party lifestyle of Melbourne city they won't want to move to the more laid back lifestyle down the Surf Coast.

The article mentioned family but didn't go into specifics - sounds like it could be a similar situation to the Goldstein one, but would need someone in the know to confirm:

“The issue is, with his family set-up at the moment, he’s not particularly interested in leaving Melbourne. He’s 30 years old, he’s got a contract to 2027, and if he’s going to play in new colours next year, he wants to play at a Melbourne club.

“You think of Carlton, Collingwood, St Kilda, Hawthorn, Richmond, North Melbourne, Melbourne — it doesn’t feel like there’s a natural fit.”

Clark floated the idea of moving to Geelong — possibly with current Bulldogs teammate Bailey Smith — but he was still uncertain that such a move might be in Macrae’s plans this year.

“This could be the curly one — I’m not sure how keen Jack Macrae is for the hour-commute down the highway,” Clark said.

He's a bit of a spud but Riley Bonner was cut yesterday. Not saying he's best 22 but at 27 he is in the right profile to be a good VFL player for the kittens and be emergency depth if needed. Not sure we'd be interested but he'd be dirt cheap and a mature body. Has played some great games but I don't think his profile over the last two or so years has been super flash.

Here's words were.
He'll be set for life!!
Geelong is north of Torquay. :cool:

He's a bit of a spud but Riley Bonner was cut yesterday. Not saying he's best 22 but at 27 he is in the right profile to be a good VFL player for the kittens and be emergency depth if needed. Not sure we'd be interested but he'd be dirt cheap and a mature body. Has played some great games but I don't think his profile over the last two or so years has been super flash.
Geelong has never been into these types of players. Can’t see why it would start now.

Looks are deceiving he's just not a defender nor a winger.
Brain fades. Both in execution and in team structures.
Just a flat NO.
Also what are the chances that Archie Perkins is the additional mid? There has been a lot of smoke around that for a couple of years now and he has completely stagnated at Essendon. You have to think he is on the outer. I'd back us in to turn his career around.
I'm neither here nor there on Archie.
Some days looks brilliant other days just another plodder.
I wouldn't be handing over a lot of collateral in draft form or player swap.

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back