Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Ask and we'll try our best to assist - so here's 2024 Provisional AFL Draft Order

As normal, would like to acknowledge & thank Lore for creating this, keeping it up to date and making it available for all users on BF to use and keep track of the picks ahead of the upcoming draft

I'll also sticky this post to ensure it's easily accessible for discussion of our hypothetical trader

pretty sure we asked the question when he was leaving the dogs and we were a few he short listed before going to essendon.
At that point in time I was a bit interested. As per usual I thought we might be able to turn him around (and maybe we would've got more out of him) and he was still young.
I just don't think he is worth the effort anymore. At Essendon he has shown he constantly needs effort to get him somewhat in shape, it shouldn't be something you need to do for a 30 year old (he'd be 31 near the start of next season). He is the type of bloke that just drains resources which could be better spent on developing our younger players.
If you're trading in 30+ year olds they should be providing experience and adding something to your team culture (like Isaac Smith).

Stringer is the classic gun footballer that doesn't like training nor structure too much.
But is a footballer and a good one first and foremost.
Overweight, unfit, playing for EssenDOM and still snagged 42.
Loves a beer. Loves a BBQ. Loves the ladies and loves the ponies even more.
Classic Ozzie male? lol.
2 years with clauses/targets is a NO brainer from someone looking from the outside.
Question is.
Are we the club (Hock/Mack/Wells/Scott/Playing group) prepared to entertain him??
He'll be 31yo Round 1 2025.
Not bothered either way we go or he goes.

Stringer is the classic gun footballer that doesn't like training nor structure too much.
Classic Ozzie male? lol.
2 years with clauses/targets is a NO brainer from someone looking from the outside.
Question is.
Are we the club (Hock/Mack/Wells/Scott/Playing group) prepared to entertain him??
Your description paints the picture of a bit of larrikin that wouldn't cause too many issues. Loves women, can't tie him down but doesn't really want to hurt anyone.
The reality of him sleeping with a school student just after his partner gave birth is a bit more problematic for me than your classic aussie bloke. I know the age of consent is 16 but he was a dad himself at the time, I just think it's really really weird. A person isn't meant to have authority over a 17 year old if they are in a relationship. Whilst in a court of law this means a teacher etc, in the pub test, I think a star AFL footballer has a sense of authority over a 17 year old who's family were massive Bulldogs supporters. It's weird. It was a while ago but it's still weird and I don't want him.

Loves a beer. Loves a BBQ. Loves the school girls and loves the ponies even more.
Classic Ozzie male? lol.
Question is.
Fixed that for you

Classic Ozzie male? lol.
Question is.

You sure he still loves those things? Didn't he convert to Islam about 12mths ago?

Perryman reportedly interested in midfield opportunity moreso than money, mates with Jeremy Cameron, and loves fishing and the outdoors lifestyle

Your description paints the picture of a bit of larrikin that wouldn't cause too many issues. Loves women, can't tie him down but doesn't really want to hurt anyone.
The reality of him sleeping with a school student just after his partner gave birth is a bit more problematic for me than your classic aussie bloke. I know the age of consent is 16 but he was a dad himself at the time, I just think it's really really weird. A person isn't meant to have authority over a 17 year old if they are in a relationship. Whilst in a court of law this means a teacher etc, in the pub test, I think a star AFL footballer has a sense of authority over a 17 year old who's family were massive Bulldogs supporters. It's weird. It was a while ago but it's still weird and I don't want him.

TBH what how where when blokes do/put with their d*cks doesn't worry me one bit.
Why it would others has me stumped.
Not long ago if it was near or around another bloke your career was in the bin, as was his reputation.
These days to find a young bloke or chick shagging anything and i mean anything that wants to tango is an everyday event without an eyelid battered.
Cheers Bud.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Perryman reportedly interested in midfield opportunity moreso than money, mates with Jeremy Cameron, and loves fishing and the outdoors lifestyle
Would be stoked if we got Perryman, but I've heard he wants to stay if the Giants match.

He's quality, and in the exact age bracket that we lack. No draft picks involved either.

He'll never be a superstar, but just provides that consistent week to week output that we're going to need while the kids are being prepped to take over the side.

Could easily have him and Stewart swap during quarters at half back or in the midfield.

My contention is that the rate of illicit substance consumption among AFL players is almost certainly less than their same-aged peers in less public careers. Not more. For reasons that should be obvious (greater risk of being caught, career is public so more of a reputational hit and stigma if caught, professional responsibility to avoid it). And the rate of illicit substance consumption among young people in Australia aged 18-30 is not 50% to begin with, so for illicit substance abuse among be something "more than half" of AFL players partake in, they would need to be doing it at a rate significantly higher than their same age peers. Not just at the same level as them.
At the same time, these are people with far higher than average incomes and cocaine is a (helluva drug) very expensive drug in Melbourne/Australia. I totally agree that AFL players would be doing far less than their non-AFL average Joes, but they also certainly have contacts who would be willing to protect them and be well looked after, and therefore more discretion, unless they're morons like Joel Smith and Clarry.

With the importance of skinfolds (we've just been dissecting Stringer's gut for the last forty-odd posts), cocaine and other illicit substances make a lot more sense for players who are letting their hair down on a bye weekend or whatever it might be (not saying that most don't enjoy a few beers - they're only 'uman). There are risks of course mid season with drug tests, but it seems they are pretty easy to get around unless you're unlucky - e.g. Josh Thomas and Lachie Keeffe.

Classic Ozzie male? lol.
Question is.
A player like him really belonged in the late 80s, early 90s. Plenty of snags, no team zone defence, just one on one. He would have been a cult figure. The glory days of the lazy yet brilliant full forward are over. I think he'd simply be a liability for us - a bit like Menzel for very different reasons i.e. his cooked knees - couldn't chase, barely tackles, doesn't work hard enough the other way.

ESPN are saying this years draft is the deepest draft pool ever

Veteran defender Jayden Laverde is being eyed by as many as three rival Victorian clubs amid contract drama at Essendon.

While the 28-year-old is contracted with the Bombers for another season, he and teammate Jake Stringer were reportedly denied new, longer contracts in a recent meeting with club officials.

Now, St Kilda, as well as Carlton and Geelong, are expressing interest in the 131-gamer, according to Herald Sun journalist Scott Gullan.

Veteran defender Jayden Laverde is being eyed by as many as three rival Victorian clubs amid contract drama at Essendon.

While the 28-year-old is contracted with the Bombers for another season, he and teammate Jake Stringer were reportedly denied new, longer contracts in a recent meeting with club officials.

Now, St Kilda, as well as Carlton and Geelong, are expressing interest in the 131-gamer, according to Herald Sun journalist Scott Gullan.
Season 11 Hbo GIF by Curb Your Enthusiasm

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back