Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Ask and we'll try our best to assist - so here's 2024 Provisional AFL Draft Order

As normal, would like to acknowledge & thank Lore for creating this, keeping it up to date and making it available for all users on BF to use and keep track of the picks ahead of the upcoming draft

I'll also sticky this post to ensure it's easily accessible for discussion of our hypothetical trader

Hasn't it been reported that he doesn't want to move away from Melbourne due to family reasons?

While I haven't seen anything confirmed, it sounded a similar situation to Goldstein when we were interested in him but he stayed at North due to being separated from his partner/wife, and wanting to stay within close proximity to his kids
I'm not sure if that's 100% official. It was just a statement someone in the media...
Could be true... could be not

We are in for flags now, not in 3 years time. Macrae is very big, turned 30 only 5 weeks ago, highly respected at the Dogs, has reached very high standards, we complain about our inside mids, it could sweeten the Bailey deal, he is not on a hugely expensive contract and if we get 2 good years out of him of the three (like the fantastic Isaac Smith) in a new stimulating environment that will respect him, that is a win.

We are in for flags now, not in 3 years time. Macrae is very big, turned 30 only 5 weeks ago, highly respected at the Dogs, has reached very high standards, we complain about our inside mids, it could sweeten the Bailey deal, he is not on a hugely expensive contract and if we get 2 good years out of him of the three (like the fantastic Isaac Smith) in a new stimulating environment that will respect him, that is a win.
So is this in a situation where we give them two first rounders ?

He actually is on a hugely expensive contract, at a club where he is surplus to requirements.

if they are smart (a big if), the dogs should be happy to let him walk for free or pay some of his salary to get a return.

He actually is on a hugely expensive contract, at a club where he is surplus to requirements.

if they are smart (a big if), the dogs should be happy to let him walk for free or pay some of his salary to get a return.
How much is his contract?

700k isn’t that much over the next few years for a player that would probably walk into our midfield tbh. Still unsure if I want him

Based on the AFL rich list published a couple of days ago, it would put him in the pay bracket as Stewart and the second or third highest paid player at the club this year

I'd rather be putting that sort of money towards a ruck

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Simply a year too late.

Going into this year he might have been handy but too much has changed:
  • Guthrie is on the mend with 1 year contract left
  • Danger wants two more
  • Smith is a likely inclusion
  • Holmes/Bowes/Bruhn had breaking out years
  • Stewart has position flex as a midfielder now
  • Clark is a developmental prospect
  • Atkins continues to be Atkins

I agree, I just don't see a role for McCrae. Where would hit fit?

On top of that you have Clohesy and Knevitt developing. Knevitt in particular would be sidelined with a Macrae arrival.

Based on the AFL rich list published a couple of days ago, it would put him in the pay bracket as Stewart and the second or third highest paid player at the club this year

I'd rather be putting that sort of money towards a ruck

I mean tbf Stewart was like 80 wasn’t he? That says more that Stewart is underpaid than Macrae is overpaid

700k isn’t that much over the next few years for a player that would probably walk into our midfield tbh. Still unsure if I want him
Ummm, he is a 30 year old midfielder who was playing vfl this year. That contract is serious overs.

$700k+ is more than max Holmes signed for per annum.

I mean tbf Stewart was like 80 wasn’t he? That says more that Stewart is underpaid than Macrae is overpaid
If macrae was 80th, that means on average he would be in the top 4-5 highest paid players at his club.

McRae should not be in any teams top 4-5 paid players.

If macrae was 80th, that means on average he would be in the top 4-5 highest paid players at his club.

McRae should not be in any teams top 4-5 paid players.

He signed that contract in 2022 coming off 3 all Australians in a row, a Gary Ayres award and leading the league in disposals. Easy for you to sit there now and say now it is a terrible contract. He was easily in there best 4-5 players at the club.

He signed that contract in 2022 coming off 3 all Australians in a row, a Gary Ayres award and leading the league in disposals. Easy for you to sit there now and say now it is a terrible contract. He was easily in there best 4-5 players at the club.

It was a great contract for Jack at the time of signing it

But a few years on with 3 years still to go on it, there seems to be some buyers remorse from the Bulldogs and I doubt they'd be too unhappy with today's news that he'll be looking at his options

And for any team who takes on his contract, they shouldn't have to pay heavily at the trade table to do so

It was a great contract for Jack at the time of signing it

But a few years on with 3 years still to go on it, there seems to be some buyers remorse from the Bulldogs and I doubt they'd be too unhappy with today's news that he'll be looking at his options

And for any team who takes on his contract, they shouldn't have to pay heavily at the trade table to do so

I agree. I don’t think I even want him at Geelong. I’m just saying it’s easy in hindsight to say it’s a bad deal but in reality it was an easy decision to make for them based on his previous years. 3 all Australians in a row for 700k didn’t sound to bad at the time

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back